Newbee question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dickn52

Bearcat
Just picked up an SR 1911, 5" with about 150 rds through it for a touch under $500.00. I'm thinking a great deal from an older club shooter who simply can't shoot it anymore. Now..the manual and website say it takes all 'standard 1911' after market parts. So trigger first or do most of you like it as is? This will most likely be a range gun/house gun. I carry a PM45 Kahr for CCW work. Thoughts appreciated.

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
dickn52 said:
Just picked up an SR 1911, 5" with about 150 rds through it for a touch under $500.00. I'm thinking a great deal from an older club shooter who simply can't shoot it anymore. Now..the manual and website say it takes all 'standard 1911' after market parts. So trigger first or do most of you like it as is? This will most likely be a range gun/house gun. I carry a PM45 Kahr for CCW work. Thoughts appreciated.

Dick,
You got a helluva deal. Do not change it! I have several SR1911s and a couple of SR1911 CMDs.
They run like a singer sewing machine, and eat any thing you load into them. In fact, I occasionally
carry one of them. My grandson has one to carry on the job.
Blackie

Mike J

Hunter
I agree with the fellows that posted above me. I would shoot it & see if you like the trigger first. My SR 1911 is stock. Some people want different things for different reasons. For me I wouldn't change it unless it needs it.

FWIW You got a great deal. My SR 1911 is the pistol that makes me look like a shooter even when I'm having a bad day & not hitting well with anything else.

dickn52

Bearcat
Thanks to everyone. I will shoot it on Wednesday. I was just curious as to if there were any issues that needed correcting. I know there is a ton of stuff for 1911's out there that promise the moon. I want a decent trigger, easy feeding (ramp) etc. Don't know what sights are on it, but hope Novack rear. I don't actually get this until Wednesday at the club, but it is mine now.

The only thing I changed on mine is grip panels. I've gone from plain to Ruger Eagles. I really like the Ruger black rubber checkered grips for right now. Looks like it means business. I love the stock trigger. Probably will never change it. Shoot the daylights out of it.

dickn52

Bearcat
I owned a Para a long time ago. Most accurate little Commander model I ever shot out of the box. After that, I got into high capacity firearms...don't know why. I have always been drawn to the 1911 every time I look at them. Then after every guy with a lathe was making them, I felt the quality of some had dropped off. (Military issued would rattle etc..) So a guy just gave me 2,000 pcs of large primer 45 brass, and I thought why not. I asked at the club and this one was proposed to me, which I snatched up instantly. My reloading has just kicked into high gear putting some Berrys rnd nose ball ammo together. Got about 600 rounds now and will stop at 1,000 I think.

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
Mike J said:
I agree with the fellows that posted above me. I would shoot it & see if you like the trigger first. My SR 1911 is stock. Some people want different things for different reasons. For me I wouldn't change it unless it needs it.

FWIW You got a great deal. My SR 1911 is the pistol that makes me look like a shooter even when I'm having a bad day & not hitting well with anything else.

Mike,
You are letting out the secret of us SR1911 shooters. :<)
Blackie

dickn52

Bearcat
Pat-inCO said:
I was about to suggest you get a copy of Kuhnhausen's "The Colt .45
Automatic" shop manual, but it sounds like you are way past that need. :wink:
Bought it yesterday.....thanks.

loaded round

Hunter
I have two SR1911's ; a 5'' Govt. model, and a LWT CDR model both in 45 ACP. Both had excellent triggers out of the box and actually smoothed up more after several hundred rounds. Leave your trigger alone!

dickn52

Bearcat
OK, I am not a Neanderthal around pistols guys. I was asking if there were any special mods that I should look at AFTER I shoot it? Sometimes a pistol (22/45 MKIII) needs work out of the box, and sometimes (Para LWT Cmdr) they don't. I'll know a whole lot more on Thursday morning for sure. And yes triggers do get better with use. At S&W armorers school, an instructor used to take on trigger jobs all the time. IF you had a tech question you sat at his desk and pulled the trigger of a revolver while he inspected your work. After 15,000 or more pulls, he would box the revolver up and ship it back with a 'trigger job'. So yes, they will 'wear in' after a few hundred rounds.

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
dickn52 said:
OK, I am not a Neanderthal around pistols guys. I was asking if there were any special mods that I should look at AFTER I shoot it? Sometimes a pistol (22/45 MKIII) needs work out of the box, and sometimes (Para LWT Cmdr) they don't. I'll know a whole lot more on Thursday morning for sure. And yes triggers do get better with use. At S&W armorers school, an instructor used to take on trigger jobs all the time. IF you had a tech question you sat at his desk and pulled the trigger of a revolver while he inspected your work. After 15,000 or more pulls, he would box the revolver up and ship it back with a 'trigger job'. So yes, they will 'wear in' after a few hundred rounds.

Dick,
Take it out and shoot it, enjoy it, and it you want to, carry it. I have one, and carry it, and I am
going on 83 yrs.
Blackie

se3388

Bearcat
You got a super deal for a super gun, I would agree with SR1911SHOOTER, just shoot it.

Steve........

dickn52

Bearcat
Ok, range time and 55 rounds later....nothing gets changed on this pistol. SR 1911 5" full sized shot a 2" group at 25 yards today. For me off hand that is fantastic. The trigger was smoother than I anticipated, crisp let off. Sights were dead center on post. Mags fed easy, (8 rounders best) with only one fail to chamber. I shot RN, Semi Wads (the problem child), HP and FMJ's at 875 fps across the board. Amazingly, my 200 gn RN and 230 gn RN both with same powder charge shot within 10 FPS of each other. Labradar says everything was within that 20-25 fps block. Used Power Pistol powder, which is going to change...that stuff's dirty. All in all, very happy with this one. Thanks to all for your input and yes I think I am simply going to shoot the heck out of it.