New Model SA's - A Repair Tip

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Carry_Up

Single-Sixer
I was working on a .44 special Blackhawk that had an usual hitch in the trigger pull. The customer was not complaining about the 7 pound pull (!! amazing!!). The engagement was smooth enough, but I polished it a little anyway. The hitch was still there. I focused on the transfer bar and its cutout in the frame. Something was catching in that area. After polishing the transfer bar and removing burrs and even metal "wires" remaining in the frame notch there was no improvement. Here is what I found.

The trigger has 2 holes: one for the trigger pin and one for the transfer bar. The hole for the transfer bar was cut with sharp spirals remaining inside the hole. It looked almost like someone had run a tap through the hole. The transfer bar pivot also had a small casting edge which was catching on the sharp edged spirals inside its mating hole in the trigger.

The fix for this type of problem - don't drill out the hole - is to roll up some 400 grit paper just about the size of the transfer bar pivot hole. Twist the small roll of 400 paper around until the tops of the sharp edges are flattened down a little. They don't have to be removed completely. Clean up any casting flash or sharp edges on the transfer bar pivot pin and you are done - except for improving the 7 pound trigger pull.

The catch was gone from the trigger pull and the engagement was safe, smooth enough, but way too heavy. The trigger spring itself is brutally heavy. The hammer spring can be lightened a bit, if you can live with the longer lock time. A lighter trigger spring resulted in a 4 pound pull which made the owner happy and really improved the whole feel of the trigger. So have a look next time you do a detail cleaning - you never know.

-cu