MK III stripping (again)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FlyerTom

Single-Sixer
G'day all. This is yet another vent about stripping the MK III for cleaning. I purchased a 678G target model 2 weeks ago, and it seems Ruger dipped the whole piece into a bucket of oil and wrapped it in a plastic bag (the oil was even under the grip panels). No way was I going to fire that until it was cleaned up. I cruised the net and watched videos until I was sure I could do this without too much trouble. I was wrong. First off, the bolt stop pin and mainspring housing WOULD NOT come out of the frame until I whacked it from above with a home-made Kevlar punch. (I told you was prepared) I also had to beat the bejeezus out of the receiver to release it from the grip frame. After sopping up all the excess oil, the real fun began. Putting the receiver back on the frame is my nemesis. Snug? Nope. Tight? OH YEAH. Biggest problem is determining if it's on far enough. You can't really tell if all 3 holes are aligned easily until I got my 5/16" drill blank that I ground a chamfer onto. Is the receiver too far back? Not far back enough? Rotated? At various points it was all of the above. After I finally got the drill blank to come out the other side, there was the cuss-inducing task of getting the pin back out. It seems the receiver likes to rotate to one side or another when you're pushing it back. There really is no way to prevent that, as the square lug up front has two slight angles on the bottom of the tang. Once the bolt is in, it's not that difficult to reinstall the mainspring housing. My gripe with that is that everything inside that channel is black, including the dingleberry, and it's tough to see if it's in the right place. Oh - putting the magazine back in to release the hammer is a royal PITA, too. There's no way on God's green earth that I'm taking that receiver off again. I may even spring for Majestic Arms' speed strip kit - cost be damned. I don't need the chest pains and out-of-breath experience any more.
There. I feel much better now. :)

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Maybe you could do it again with photos this time to help others that might have the same problem? Or not. I have heard it is difficult.

Welcome to the forum, hope you find enjoyment here regardless of how hard it is for your gun to come apart and go back together. 8) 8)

...Jimbo

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Here is an "easy" formula for taking "any" gun apart! First study the disassembly instructions. Next, study the "parts schematic" so your "familiar" with the parts that the disassembly instructions are "talking" about. Next, as you actually take out "each" part via the disassembly instructions, put each individual part in a plastic box with dividers. (label each bin with stickers before hand, 1 to 16 or however many bins it has)! Put part #1 in bin #1, part #2 in bin #2 and so forth until the gun is disassembled. Clean each part as you "remove" it! When your ready to reassemble, start from the back of the bins (the "last" part you took out) and work your way to the 1st bin! Continue to work with the disassembly/reassembly instructions with "each" part. And "lastly", exercise extreme "PATIENCE" as you do this task! I have followed this formula for 44 + years of gunsmithing and I have "yet" to take a gun apart that I couldn't get back together and working properly. I actually helped a gentleman from Texas put back together a modified A.O. Neidner single shot over the internet through emails! Not an easy task when you never have the gun in "your" hands. Maybe some of you remember our exchange on this forum. I have had "thousands" of guns apart over the years! You people today are fortunate to have all the great books out there with disassembly/reassembly instructions laid out for you. When I started out in the 60's, I had to "wing" a lot of it. Remember the "key" word here, "PATIENCE"! When in doubt, go back over the instructions..........................Dick :wink:

Stealth01

Bearcat
I had trouble until I found this site:

http://www.guntalk-online.com/detailstrip.htm

and

http://www.guntalk-online.com/fsprocedures.htm

These make it a breeze!

Latest posts