Issue with used GP100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

harley08

Blackhawk
The transfer bar is the thing that slides upwards when you pull back the hammer. That is correct!

DocAriel

GP100
This week it blocked even on the S&B .38's. I contacted the seller, and he is willing to take it back for the price i bought it. Nice gesture, but getting a license for a weapon has a cost of over 100 euros, so even if he takes it back i will be 100 euros lighter.

Tomorrow ill take it to a gunsmith, see what he has to say, and then decide whether i keep it or not. Im hopefull that a thorough cleaning will fix it 🤞
If it's only after shooting 38s it may well be a combination of excessive fouling from the round and a b/c gap that is at the very lowest end of the acceptable range. Try feeling the gap before shooting and right after it binds. Mine runs between .007 and .008 but there's many GPs that are in the .01 range. (That's.0.18, 0.19, and 0.25mm)

Ron IL

Bearcat
On my GP when it was new I had a similar problem that it only had with winchester cases on my reloads. It would bind up and not rotate the cylinder. I gave all of my winchester cases to my son in law. I checked and stoned the gap and even polished the backplate because the winchester cases were moving back out of the cylinder after being shot and did not seem to push back in when rotating the cylinder. It shot everything else fine. One day I pulled the trigger unit off the bottom and flushed it out with some scrubber, polished a few items, and oiled it. When I put it back together it ran everything fine, winchesters and all. Not sure what I did that made it work but all is fine. I had also reamed the cylinder throats and polished the cylinders smooth. It is a tack driver and will never be sold.