Investing vs. collecting

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tommygun

Single-Sixer
Just received Fobes special issue Investment Guide. There is an article written titled "Hobbyists' Reward" Collecting rare objects can enrich both an investment portfolio and life-if you follow some sensible rules. Very interesting piece. I like to joke about there being something wrong with some of us and turns out it may be true. In the article. A quote from late psycoanalyst Werner Mustenberger in his book titled, COLLECTING: AN UNRULY PASSION. ( Can you identify with unruly passion part????) Anway he believes that " the pusuit of objects helps compensate for deep-seated trauma, anxiety, or unfulfilled childhood needs." Some great tips and advice in the article. It is worth a read. I think I may have to read his book. I could become the resident Ruger Forum counselor. I do have a minor in psychology. I also stayed at Holiday Inn Express. LOL!

gregs45auto

Single-Sixer
Well Doc, I have these dreams about a Bisley calling to me......... :p Oh, you have the cure? Is it stainless with ivory grips? How much? hehe greg

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
tommygun said:
J

Anway he believes that " the pusuit of objects helps compensate for deep-seated trauma, anxiety, or unfulfilled childhood needs."

After awhile the collecting of stuff just doesn't fulfill those needs... then it is time to wake up and fix the problem that causes you to try to find happiness in buying lots and lots of shinny stainless guns that you never shoot.

contender

Ruger Guru
To get counciling, one must want it. I have Rugeritis, and I don't want a cure.

I'm a firm believer in that many folks who collect are above average intelligence people. They find an interest, study the subject, and spend their time persueing that subject. It occupies their time, challenges their minds, and keeps them happy. They derive happiness when they discover something, or when they find a rare item they search for. All of them know that their collection will never be 100% complete as there is always "something else" they need. Yet, they truly enjoy the hunt.
Otherwise,, many folks just become couch potatoes & waste away in front of a TV all the time, never getting a hobby to occupy their minds.
JMHO!!!!!

Good read tommygun, and you may be a bit "late"...I been 'counseling' folks on Rugers at the shows for many, many years now, and for "free" :roll:

and yes, far too many are beyond "hope & salvation"...... 8)

some even "certifiable"..... :shock:

radicalrod

Hunter
Hey I have accepted the fact that I can't own them all...it has taken years and a few hundred dollars to get to this point also maybe the economy has helped :lol: :lol: :lol: I do still like the "SEARCH and RECOVERY" part of my problem.....the best part is that euphoric feeling when you find something special because of your RUGER EDUCATION .......the day it isn't fun anymore is the day I quit :!: :!: :!: just a CERTIFIED RUGER MANIAC, RR.

flattop44

Buckeye
Interesting...Psychoanalyst Werner Mustenberger may also not fully understand about all the lifelong acquaintances and friends that are developed along the way during one's collecting pursuit. I always say the guns are great (or whatever you may choose to collect) but the wonderful friends that I have made is the real treasure!! 8)

FT44

Capn27

Single-Sixer
contender said:
. . .
Otherwise,, many folks just become couch potatoes & waste away in front of a TV all the time, never getting a hobby to occupy their minds.
JMHO!!!!!

But . . . but . . . my hobby is collecting and watching TV's !!! ??? :wink:

tommygun

Single-Sixer
You are all right. The bottom line is we were created with a black hole that needs to be filled and man tries to find the filler, the true satisfaction in life. Some use drugs, alcohol, sex, tv, status, money, collections or fill in the blank. There is only one thing that truly can satisfy that longing, that inner need for true peace in one's life and those who have it know exactly what I am talking about. ??????

eveled

Hawkeye
contender said:
They derive happiness when they discover something, or when they find a rare item they search for. !!

I can see what you are saying. My question is how come just finding it is not enough? You have to buy it. Then when you buy it you immediately want something else. I think there is something wrong with us as a species.

Everybody has an addiction of some sort. I think subconsciously we are seeking fulfillment and never finding it. Ed

TBear77

Single-Sixer
tommygun said:
Anway he believes that " the pusuit of objects helps compensate for deep-seated trauma, anxiety, or unfulfilled childhood needs."

Unfulfilled childhood needs? Or unfulfilled childhood wants! This midlife crisis doesn't cost as much as collecting sports cars or mistresses. Or so I'm told. :oops:

Ted

Hey I find them, get them, but don't keep ANY of them, pass them on to good homes...yes, something to say for the "hunt& and thrill of the find",but hell, MOST of mine ( finds) were brought to me, and I just do not "say no", or they will NOT come back..............
"He who dies with the MOST toys, still dies....." 8)

In this economy, MOST of the various collectibles are NOT worth "diddly-squat", ask those that collect beanie babys, royal doulton, cookie jars, pottery, etc, and on and on...the ONLY thing that sold years ago when we HAD to "move something" ( turn it over) was coins, silver & gold, and firearms.................and when you HAVE to "move something", you are NOT going to get anywhere near" top dollar".....been there , done that as well as have seen MANY , MANY others go through the same thing................yes, a few "rare' things may get top billing, but once the scavengers cherry pick those, the rest falls by the wayside...just pay attention and WATCH what some of the big time collectors do and how they do it when it comes time to "buy,get/take over" any collection :roll:

tommygun

Single-Sixer
Ale you are so right about psyche profs. Mine were all nuts! That made it even more interesting! Bill, with you on the good friends thing. Rod gun people and motorcycle people are mostly all good folks!

RugerHound

Hunter
flattop44 said:
Interesting...Psychoanalyst Werner Mustenberger may also not fully understand about all the lifelong acquaintances and friends that are developed along the way during one's collecting pursuit. I always say the guns are great (or whatever you may choose to collect) but the wonderful friends that I have made is the real treasure!! 8)

FT44

+10! I couldn't have said it better!