Help With OM RSS (what model is it?)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

deserttrans

Buckeye
Picked this up and curious as to what specific model it might be? Some Ruger letters have been only listing as Single Sixes and no specifics. Six and a half inch barrel, XR3-RED, Inc. on barrel and no eagle. Magnum cylinder scratched last three of the serial number.
Alloy ejector rod housing. Was told the box is original to gun? 1965 manual, hang tag and etc. 464xxx dates to 1966. Any help or comments is greatly appreciated.

]http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o742/deserttrans/DSC02612_zpsxfmsrehh.jpg[/img][/url]

chet15

Hawkeye
Only the factory would be able to tell you how this gun shipped (as RSSMW or RSSMX), but since it has the last three digits of the serial number scratched on the face of the cylinder, I'm betting it left as a convertible RSSMX. Ruger had the procedure at this time to NOT mark the front face of the cylinder with the last three digits of the serial number IF the gun was shipping only with one cylinder....because once that cylinder was fitted, it didn't have to be removed from the gun again.
Convertibles on the other hand had the last three digits scratched on the cylinder (both cylinders from 1963 up) in order to keep them matched to the gun.
As to the box, all boxes meant for 6-1/2" fixed sight Single-Sixes were printed with "RSSM" on the end. There are no RSSMX printed boxes nor was the 6-1/2" ever known as RSS6.
Yeah...Ruger's letters aren't worth what everybody is paying for them if they only say "Single-Six". A guy can roll the gun over to its left side and find that much information.
They've got the info there...they just need to go that extra step like they used to (especially since letters are a cost now) and put down the actual catalog number. It is sad when I can tell you what the model is and the factory can't (won't).
Chet15

deserttrans

Buckeye
Thanks Chet. I appreciate the info and your expertise. Collecting will get a little more complex for some of us. It will be hard to verify what one really has, without the factory input.

deserttrans

Buckeye
Thanks Steve, yep neck feathers. That was one of the questions I forgot to ask. Is what year the feathers came to play.

chet15

Hawkeye
jussbad said:
And, at least two variations of hang tags known.

Yes!!
Hang tags were used most of the time with Single-Sixes from 1959 through about 1967.
Then there was another short run of hang tags used during the prefix era. The last group is different from the first in that there is a Ruger address and Zip Code printed on it.
I'd like to find a spare of the latter for my own set.
Chet15