Fpe questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

yep, that BB going a zillion miles a second is going to go clean through and probably not do much damage .... a 45 traveling slow is probably going to come pretty close to knocking you down. Well we know physically it won't knock you down but you probably will fall down pretty dern quick. With the BB you will be standing there thinking what the heck was that and why do I hurt?

Energy Transfer is what matters when it comes to stopping power. A bullet zipping effortlessly through something transfers minimal energy. That's why my HD load is a 3" slug with about 4,000fp.

FPE is a mathematical formula meant to compare various calibers and velocities in a theoretical scenario. Light/fast vs heavy/slow will always be an argument in actual field use. An African hunter shooting a buffalo at 50 yards is not going to see FPE in the same light as an elk hunter making a 300+ yard shot on a bull or a CCW carrier contemplating his needs at 10'.

If you're a bowhunter, you'll know that momentum is key to penetration more than kinetic energy. I don't consider pure kinetic energy numbers, especially in the small numbers that handguns generally churn up, to be useful in judging the "stopping power" or effectiveness of a load/bullet. Mr Baldwin's experience with what was likely a very ordinary, unimpressive-from-a-kinetic-energy-perspective 45 Colt load kinda supports the damage potential of big and slow projectiles.

Latest posts