Drag ring on Ruger cylinders

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Heavy Barrel

Single-Sixer
Yosemite Sam":10it5nt3 said:
Poor poor victim Heavy Barrel. Too lazy to look for information, and we're the bad guys because we won't spoon feed it to him. Then he starts swearing.

What a loser.

-- Sam

I don't see where damn is swearing and you respone as a moderator is mediocre at best.Sorry if I offended you.If that is what to expect from a simple question,I'm the bad guy who was just looking for an answer.I'll post no more.And for your information,you can't define me as a loser or lazy as you don't know me at all.I could expect this on some of the other forums but really didn't expect it here.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Ask a question, get an answer. Don't "buy" that answer, ask again. Don't "buy" that answer... Were they really excuses because you didn't accept, oh sorry, "buy" the responses you received? Hopefully gunhacker's response is "bought". I'd have thought after being told it was a hashed over topic one would think, Hmmmm, maybe I'll try that search function. I bet it would give some results on this very topic. Guess not.

•LAZY - 1. averse or disinclined to work, activity, or exertion; indolent.

Did you try the search before or even during this inquiry or simply depend on others to do your work for you?

;)

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
BlkHawk73":3a2vo05d said:
Ask a question, get an answer. Don't "buy" that answer, ask again. Don't "buy" that answer... Were they really excuses because you didn't accept, oh sorry, "buy" the responses you received? Hopefully gunhacker's response is "bought". I'd have thought after being told it was a hashed over topic one would think, Hmmmm, maybe I'll try that search function. I bet it would give some results on this very topic. Guess not.

Did you try the search before or even during this inquiry or simply depend on others to do your work for you?

;)
Can't add much to that! ;)

-- Sam

Heavy Barrel

Single-Sixer
BlkHawk73":2axjza1o said:

;)

So now you can't ask a question? Well go over the various topics and see how many questions are ask without going to the search function.People ask questions all the time,some don't even think about the search function.Shame on them,shame on me.I didn't come here looking for a fight,If you go over any of my posts on this forum you will find I don't participate in that arena.Once again,sorry I ask,I'm finished.Have a great day.

And incidently,in this world there are very few that you "can" depend on.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Now you're just playing the victim again, as you were above.

You come in here with both guns blazing, so to speak, reject the answers you're given, get rude, then act as if people are picking on you. Yep, I've met folks like you before, but they usually grow out of it.

The answers to your questions are in this very thread, if you'd care to take the time to read it.

-- Sam

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Manners, friends. Remember personal attacks are verbotten.
Would that any response shouldn't begin with: "You..."
:oops:

BTW, Revolvers have cylinder rings largely because they wear moving parts externally. Its the ghost in the machine. Ruger SA guns are notedly prone to rings, even factory-fresh examples sometimes show drag lines. With most other brands, a given level of professional gunsmithing can all but negate rings, but you get what you pay for. We can still buy a new BH for half of a stock N-Frame or DA Colt. They all shoot the same chunk o' lead.

Fords-n-Chevys in the end.

RonEgg

Blackhawk
BTW, Revolvers have cylinder rings largely because they wear moving parts externally. Its the ghost in the machine. Ruger SA guns are notedly prone to rings, even factory-fresh examples sometimes show drag lines. With most other brands, a given level of professional gunsmithing can all but negate rings, but you get what you pay for. We can still buy a new BH for half of a stock N-Frame or DA Colt. They all shoot the same chunk o' lead.

Spoke with Clements last night about a couple Blackhawks I will be sending him. I asked him about reducing /eliminating ring on NM and he said it can't be done.

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
I've seen Flategate's description on how to eliminate the ring on the New Models. And Iowgean (sp?) on the other Ruger forum has information in his IBOK for how he does it. The process is not difficult but it looks like it takes quite a bit of trial and error in the fitting. Time is money, so to make the "fitting" of the timing process quicker designing some extra tolerance in your design helps to cut down on how much fitting needs to be done. You also want to make sure you get lock up and not have wore parts cause it to over shoot the latch. Gunhacker's explanation is much better than mine :)

Nice looking collie in your avatar Heavy Barrel. Our's does that same thing when she wants here belly scratched :)

As mentioned above been discussed many times here goes one more time.
The cylinder latch on New Models is designed to lock up every single time the cylinder is turned. The easiest way for Ruger to accomplish this is to Have the cylinder latch come up early contact the cylinder when the latch hits the leads and comes up and locks up the cylinder perfect no malfunction.

Now to correct this one must Lengthen the cylinder latch to delay the latch from rising until it hits the leads on the cylinder. This process take patients and precise fitting of parts that you will find on a lot more expensive firearms.

To sum it up Ruger obtains perfect function without the expense of custom fitting parts. That is why Ruger NM SA's will have drag lines. Spend a few bucks and that can be corrected.
Heavy Barrel is this what you were lookin for? ps

Heavy Barrel

Single-Sixer
powder smoke":26j5cpv4 said:
As mentioned above been discussed many times here goes one more time.
The cylinder latch on New Models is designed to lock up every single time the cylinder is turned. The easiest way for Ruger to accomplish this is to Have the cylinder latch come up early contact the cylinder when the latch hits the leads and comes up and locks up the cylinder perfect no malfunction.

Now to correct this one must Lengthen the cylinder latch to delay the latch from rising until it hits the leads on the cylinder. This process take patients and precise fitting of parts that you will find on a lot more expensive firearms.

To sum it up Ruger obtains perfect function without the expense of custom fitting parts. That is why Ruger NM SA's will have drag lines. Spend a few bucks and that can be corrected.
Heavy Barrel is this what you were lookin for? ps

Yes it is and I thank you as well as Gunhacker.I understood fully after his post and it could have stopped there without the rest of the comments.I hope it doesn't start again.
Thanks for your response.

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

That is a pretty good explanation.

With most single action revolvers, when properly timed, the bolt will pop up when the lead in to the cylinder locking notch is directly over the bolt. This Colt of mine is properly timed. Notice the 'skid mark' left behind by the bolt popping up in the lead in to the cylinder notch. The skid mark is dead center in the lead in. Note: Please excuse the dark rust spots on the cylinder, that's how it was when I got it. But at least it was properly timed, and nobody had abused it creating a drag mark around the cylinder. On a Colt style lockwork, if the hammer is lowered from the half cock postition, the bolt remains up, pressing against the cylinder, and if repeated enough times, when the cylinder is rotated the bolt will put a wear mark on the cylinder.

colorcaseColt.jpg

Here is an Uberti Cattleman of mine. It is a little bit out of time, notice the 'skid mark' starts just before the lead in. The bolt is rising a little bit early on this gun. I don't shoot it much, so I have never bothered to have the timing adjusted.

colorcaseCimarron.jpg

Rugers are different. They are purposely designed so that the bolt rises earl, rubbing directly on the cylinder. That is part of the design. It is possible for a gunsmith to alter the timing, but right out of the box, that's what Rugers do. Here is a New Vaquero, with a typical rub line starting about halfway between the chambers. Again, that is normal, that is the way the engineers at Ruger designed it.

colorcaseNewVaquero.jpg

Now, a properly timed Three Screw Ruger is a different story. When properly timed, it should be just like a Colt. The bolt should pop up in the lead in, just like a Colt, and not leave a ring on the cylinder. If there is a rub mark, somebody was probably lowering the hammer from half cock, allowing the bolt to remain pressed up against the cylinder.

Double Action revolvers are a different story. With the hammer down, the bolt is up. When you open the crane to load or unload, the bolt is still up. When you close the gun up again, the bolt is still up. Unless you are very careful to align the cylinder so that the bolt pops into the locking notch when the cylinder is closed, a ring will develop. That is just the way it is with Double Action revolvers. I own a zillion of them, mostly Smiths. Most of them I have bought used. I do not consider a ring around the cylinder a sign of misuse in a Double Action revolver, I consider it to be normal wear and tear, just like a little bit of holster wear.

MMichaelAK

Single-Sixer
Being a relative newbie here, I know Im going to ask some questions that have been asked before. Probably even asked more than one time before.

The hopes people have when they find a resource like this is that they hope it will help them answer their questions. Not give them a ration of crap over how dare you ask the same darn question that has been asked a hundred times already.

Note, I did not say "zillion" as its very highly unlikely that any single question has been asked one zillion times. I'd feel that a safe bet.

Doing due diligence is a good thing so searching archives is a good place to start but unless you know tha particular of a search engine, sometimes they dont do what you need them to do. Fickle beasts they are.

Sam, I have appreciated your knowledge and hopefully you're just having a crappy day cause thats what is showing.

Powdersmoke and Gunhacker, than you for the concise answer. Hopefully if someone ever asks it again and I see it, I can provide a quick rehash without screwing up what you said.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
MMichaelAK":2x36oqdo said:
Sam, I have appreciated your knowledge and hopefully you're just having a crappy day cause thats what is showing.
Wow, thanks! I never realized anyone paid attention to my drivel.

In all fairness, it wasn't the question, it was the tone that came across that got my dander up. As you have read my postings you've seen that I generally am helpful where I can be. I realize people will often ask without searching, and while I don't understand it, I try to accommodate it.

But let's leave it here. I was indeed having a bad day, and am having a worse one today. As a mod I'm supposed to be above the fray, and I apologize to Heavy Barrel for a personal attack that had no place in the forum, esp. from a mod. Please accept this and don't feel you have to abandon RF.

-- Sam

Bucks Owin

Hunter
I was looking at a Flattop for sale a couple months ago, (a "real" one) and noticed that when cocked s l o w l y the hammer would reach the full cock notch and then the cyl would lazily roll that last 1/4" and then lock in battery (If that's the right term) as if it had a weak spring or something. Drag lines on this OLD model? Oh yeah!... I figured the timing must be off (late?) on this old and much used/abused sixgun? Worn lockwork? Just wondering....Dennis (BTW, that's a nice Python!) :wink:

CraigC

Hawkeye
I feel I must apologize to Heavy Barrel. In rereading the thread, I realize that early on, he was actually NOT given a proper answer. That indeed excuses were made but no comprehensive explanation of exactly "why" was given until gunhacker and powder smoke replied. So again, my apologies for jumping on you with both feet.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Bucks Owin":27cosylx said:
I was looking at a Flattop for sale a couple months ago, (a "real" one) and noticed that when cocked s l o w l y the hammer would reach the full cock notch and then the cyl would lazily roll that last 1/4" and then lock in battery (If that's the right term) as if it had a weak spring or something. Drag lines on this OLD model? Oh yeah!... I figured the timing must be off (late?) on this old and much used/abused sixgun? Worn lockwork? Just wondering....Dennis (BTW, that's a nice Python!) :wink:
It's a timing issue, sounds like the lower tooth on the hand is a tad too short. I'd definitely jump on a sixgun like that if the price was right. A quick trip to one of our many talented gunsmiths for a rework and refinish would yield a wonderful working gun.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Yup, Bucks Owin, that is called "late carry up timing". Easily rectified by installation of a new pawl. Why, most times one of those New Model pawls can save the day. Or, the thrifty type can "hammer forge" the second tooth so it "grows" a bit. This technique is as old as the Colt revolver.......

JMHO,

flatgate

bandit44

Bearcat
I have a Vaquero 44m and a single six conv. and have applied 'Iowegan's extended hammer plunger' (from this forum) fix to both of them when new. After many years and spent rounds there is NO drag ring on either cylinder. This is a very good 'fix'.

Latest posts