Defensive Firearms Training Class ... Help

Help Support Ruger Forum:

You just mentioned that the one guy just couldn't "get it." Well when I used to teach SCUBA,, we had students who often just didn't quite get it easily. One glaring example that taught me a lesson as an instructor,, was a very intelligent guy who just didn't "Get" part of the class.
Separate, special one-on-one instruction wasn't helping.
UNTIL,,,,,,,,,, I changed terminology.
Then it all fell into place. Sometimes something as simple as changing terminology makes a huge difference.

BTW;; I think it was my description of motor memory, not Mobuck. :D All good!
I use Horsepower and torque as frequent references. Voltage is horsepower and Amperage is Torque, Velocity is horsepower, Frontal Area and Weight are Torque etc. Kinda like Pentecost. You gotta speak in a language they understand.

"BTW;; I think it was my description of motor memory, not Mobuck. :D All good!"

Sorry contender, you are right ... my mistake....

And terminology is very important.... I took a class a few years back on communication with the customer as a chimney sweep and it was all about not speaking 'chimney' to the homeowner. In my business we have pretty much a whole different language with terms that don't mean a thing to the average person. When I write reports I do my best to do them in laymen's language.

The good thing about this class I'm going to help with is no one is a newbie..... but the first half of the first day will be going through basic drills and using the same commands over and over so that the students will get used to them and develop or at least 'refine' their motor memory skills before we step up to the more difficult drills... like moving, using cover, working as a team and multiple bad guys and shoot and no shoot drills.

Last edited:
re is some young guy who is so fast and accurate it is just hard to even watch... we had one like that last year.... I just watched a short video of him doing the 'man on man / hostage competition' where you shoot a metal disc 4" round from 30ft that is right beside the metal hostage silhouette and then have to hit two 8" round metal disc 20ft behind that target.... this young guy was so fast at this and did it in three shots in a matter of a few seconds.

Sounds like it could be a stage in "Steel Challenge " matches, not quite but similar. If he had experience at that game it would be
a very easy transition to the class drill.

Mike J

Hunter
Blume you are beginning to make me wish I had the time & money to come to your class or take some more training elsewhere. It just isn't possible right now. Maybe after the oldest two kids reach the point of being able to take care of themselves.
As for whether or not someone has to have been in a gunfight to be able to teach necessary skills to someone else. I don't think so. If Angelo Dundee ever boxed I know nothing of it but he seemed to do a pretty good job of training world heavyweight champions.

You just mentioned that the one guy just couldn't "get it." Well when I used to teach SCUBA,, we had students who often just didn't quite get it easily. One glaring example that taught me a lesson as an instructor,, was a very intelligent guy who just didn't "Get" part of the class.
Separate, special one-on-one instruction wasn't helping.
UNTIL,,,,,,,,,, I changed terminology.
Then it all fell into place. Sometimes something as simple as changing terminology makes a huge difference.

BTW;; I think it was my description of motor memory, not Mobuck. :D All good!
Bingo. Different people have different learning styles.

My daughter (a marketing major/math minor in college) ultimately taught high school geometry and coached girls cross country. She quickly discovered that some of her geometry students easily learned analytically - by reading the book - but other did not. And while other teachers gave up on those students (claiming they were "dumb as a rock"), my daughter did not. Instead, she re-wrote the semester-long geometry lesson plan to emphasize visual learning - polar opposite of the analytical style most students employed.

So in her visual geometry lesson plan, geometric lines turned into pretzel sticks, points turned into marshmellowettes, and planes turned into graham crackers. Not only did her visual-learner students comprehend geometry by end of semester (and made very high grades in the state-mandated tests), but they also got to eat each day's lesson plan.

A couple of her students actually did fairly well later in their lives. Perhaps you've heard of Clayton Kershaw and Matthew Stafford.

I would love to teach a Physics class my way! I would enter and fire my 44 mag over a Chronograph and into a calibrated hell block and then start throwing the problems at them. I might introduce myself before the end of the class.

harley08

Blackhawk
What I learned with any firearm.
Safety first!
Know you target.
Know what is behind your target.
Focus on the front sight.
Squeeze the trigger.