CDFingers' camo target rifle project in progress

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snake45

Hawkeye
Your camo job works well if you are trying to hide it from someone 15-20 feet away (the distance of your photos).

From longer distance, it will just look like a uniform gray-green.

If you want to break up the outline of the thing at distance, you want BROAD, BOLD strokes with lots of contrast. Black or a VERY dark green or gray over your base coat of medium gray-green would be about right. Won't be pretty or impress the hicks, but it will work.

Remember the old story about most fishing lures aren't designed to catch fish, they're designed to catch fishermen? Much the same thing applies to camo patterns. :wink:

Snake45

Hawkeye
Forget about your silly stencils. Just bust out that black spray can and paint on broad, irregular stripes/bands of @4" or even more. It'll look like hell close up but from 50 yards or more, this will completely break up the gun shape and just look like the natural, irregular light spots and shadows of nature.

Snake45

Hawkeye
CDFingers said:
Nah, I have to use scissors and paper. That's the only way my wife will let me eat the Library paste...

CDFingers
Okay, fisherman. :wink:

ajw65

Bearcat
A little light in color for me. Drop the homemade stencils practice with real foliage it looks better. Great thing about Krylon not to expensive if you mess up. Just start over.

Cracker-American

Blackhawk
I think you will want to decide what you want. Are you trying to create something that will hide the rifle in a combat type situation or are you creating a work of art.

You have a work of art. Good work with some nice attention to detail but you will not be able to see those pretty leaves much beyond ten feet or so. As a finish on a combat type firearm you need to take Snake's and my advice and broaden up your color differences.

toysoldier

Hunter
There's absolutely no reason to duplicate leaves (except for the paste-eating thing) to achieve effective camoflage. Snake is spot-on with his advice.

I used flat colors of brush-on gray, brown, and black to do a "tree-bark" camo job on my SKS. From 15' away, it looks so much like a small tree trunk, I almost lost it. Stuck it bayonet-down while I went acros the ravine to check my targets, and almost couldn't find it when I came back. Definitely ugly, but effective.

Snake45

Hawkeye
The absolute best thing I've ever read on camo was a feature-length, lavishly illustrated article in a magazine I think was called Gung Ho (a Soldier of Fortune wannabe) back in the late '80s or early '90s. It explained (and illustrated) that in many cases, it's a waste of time and ineffective to try to "blend in" an object, unless that object is going to be fixed and immobile in one place. The idea is to break up the shape of the object into shapes that the observing eye does not perceive as the original object. And the best way to do this is not with many colors and subtle details, but with big, broad, irregular patterns of high contrast.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Snake45 said:
It explained (and illustrated) that in many cases, it's a waste of time and ineffective to try to "blend in" an object, unless that object is going to be fixed and immobile in one place. The idea is to break up the shape of the object into shapes that the observing eye does not perceive as the original object. And the best way to do this is not with many colors and subtle details, but with big, broad, irregular patterns of high contrast.

Hi,

Makes sense, since the very first thing the eye "catches" is motion. Anyone who's hunted much has stories of being caught "out in the open" when "freezing" was the most effective defense against being detected. Even animals that see well in color, such as many birds, will often ignore an immobile object, as they don't perceive it as a threat. Or a target to prey upon.

Most animals live their lives w/ a sign on their back that says "Lunch" so they instinctively understand this concept. Not sure how terrified paper targets are by even the shiniest of polyurethane finishes are on wood, or how well the metal was polished before putting a mirror finish blue job on it!

So whatever CD likes is fine for what that rifle is. I do agree w/ Mrs. CD's dictum about stenciled "trucker ladies," though. Those gals should be done up in chrome. Anything else is heresy.

Rick C

Snake45

Hawkeye
Oh, that's MUCH better, especially the right side. The black portions could be larger but you've definitely got the right idea now and I like the randomness of the black shapes.

The other colors don't hurt anything but at distance will all blend together. But they do look pretty at close range.

That's looking good and I'd say you're on the right track now. :wink:

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
I'll bet that barrel takes some of the sting out of the recoil...bout the only time I would consider shooting a mosin from the bench. Have seen several of those barrels floating around the web...nice to see someone actually putting one to good use.

That is certainly a one of a kind item...I like it!!!!

sebtool

Blackhawk
Rick Courtright said:
Snake45 said:
It explained (and illustrated) that in many cases, it's a waste of time and ineffective to try to "blend in" an object, unless that object is going to be fixed and immobile in one place. The idea is to break up the shape of the object into shapes that the observing eye does not perceive as the original object. And the best way to do this is not with many colors and subtle details, but with big, broad, irregular patterns of high contrast.

So whatever CD likes is fine for what that rifle is. I do agree w/ Mrs. CD's dictum about stenciled "trucker ladies," though. Those gals should be done up in chrome. Anything else is heresy.

Rick C

Perhaps a lesson from 1 of the Marine Corps' H53 squadrons is in order - now this is a fine camo job! :wink:

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

image003.jpg

image004.jpg

Heresy? Not IMHO! :lol:

TBear77

Single-Sixer
CDF,

Starting to like the camo with the broader brush strokes. But one detail you left out. What's the length of that barrel? Visual guess is somewhere around 20-inches; for a 7.62x54r that translates into some serious noise at the range. :shock:

I get the impression that the locals at the range are going to concentrate on the camo job...until you touch off a round. :D

Good work,
Ted

Latest posts