Best Red Dot for Mini -14 ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

E350

Bearcat
I bought a Trijicon Credo for my Mini-14 5.56.
It is a fantastic scope.

But for the quick target acquisition which the 5.56 is designed for, I wonder if a red dot (or ACOG) would be quicker/better?

If so, what is the Best Red Dot for a Mini-14 5.56?

Any of the good quality 'dot optics' will work. I just mounted a Burris FastFire 3 on the rib of my new 20 ga shotgun. Takes a bit of getting used to but not as much as one might think. Don't know how much 'quicker' one would need to acquire a target beyond bird shooting.

My Aimpoint works really well.
20220228_092449.jpg
20230226_154146.jpg

The 'open top' optics are a bit better for 'both eyes open' shooting. The closed tube dots tend to encourage the more typical 'look through the hole'. IMHO.
The 'shake awake' optics are great for bedside use if that's where your need leads.

s4s4u

Hunter
I bought a Trijicon Credo for my Mini-14 5.56.
It is a fantastic scope.

But for the quick target acquisition which the 5.56 is designed for, I wonder if a red dot (or ACOG) would be quicker/better?

If so, what is the Best Red Dot for a Mini-14 5.56?

Not sure I understand this, but for the money the Sig red dots are hard to beat. Romeo 5 has auto off and shake awake and you can get into one for <$150

A red dot has no magnification, so if you plan on shooting regularly beyond 100 yards it may not be the bet option. You can always add a magnifier, although if going that way an LPVO might be better, but few have illumination as bright as a red dot. Primary Arms has one that has a nuclear bright center dot, the NOVA, best of both worlds.

Also, if you have astigmatism a red dot will not look like a dot. So, if you haven't looked through one you may want to before you buy one. Prism scopes, 1x, are a good lightweight alternative for those of us with astigmatism.

Latest posts