Best 1911 books on repair?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pokute

Bearcat
If you study Kuhnhausen before you start fiddling, you will make fewer mistakes. Townsend Whelen's Small Arms Design (Volume 1) has some useful information that you can't really appreciate until you have done a lot of fiddling and start to get a clue about how a gun works.

Sit down with your 1911 and a spare sear spring and bend it all every which way and then see how it affects the behavior of the gun. Not enough folks bother to do this simple, highly educational exercise. Pick up a cheap hammer and sear and experiment with them to understand how various trigger pulls get to be the way they are. Do your experimenting by dry-firing!

I think that the first real mod you want to attempt is fitting a bushing. It can be done without any special tools, the bushing is a relatively cheap investment, and it yields a big payoff in accuracy.

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
pokute said:
If you study Kuhnhausen before you start fiddling, you will make fewer mistakes. Townsend Whelen's Small Arms Design (Volume 1) has some useful information that you can't really appreciate until you have done a lot of fiddling and start to get a clue about how a gun works.

Sit down with your 1911 and a spare sear spring and bend it all every which way and then see how it affects the behavior of the gun. Not enough folks bother to do this simple, highly educational exercise. Pick up a cheap hammer and sear and experiment with them to understand how various trigger pulls get to be the way they are. Do your experimenting by dry-firing!

I think that the first real mod you want to attempt is fitting a bushing. It can be done without any special tools, the bushing is a relatively cheap investment, and it yields a big payoff in accuracy.

Thanks this is the info I was looking for. I picked up a cheap 1911 that has a very poor trigger and isn't very accurate either. I enjoy tinkering. Now if I can find an adjustable rear sight that will work on a round top government frame.

pokute

Bearcat
Uh-oh, looks like enough people bought a copy of Whelen after I wrote that to send the price through the roof. Fortunately I bought a second copy for a friend just before writing that.