ammo checker: is it actually useful ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FLgun

Single-Sixer
Wondering is this a quality useable tool or just a gimmick that's not really needed? If it is useful, is there another better quality brand or materiel out there?

Attachments

• 6AAAF5F8-E732-40DF-BEB0-E53324040F56.png
    6AAAF5F8-E732-40DF-BEB0-E53324040F56.png
    80.1 KB · Views: 47

contender

Ruger Guru
I use several of them,,, and they are very useful. Especially if you use a semi-auto calibers. And especially if you are a competition shooter. You do not want any ammo that won't feed 100%.

In my competition guns,, one has a very tight chamber. It has to have ammo that fits to be reliable 100% of the time. A chamber check gauge is a necessity.

And you might be surprised at how a round may appear to be just fine,, yet is too big to properly fit. I have learned to set aside any ammo that doesn't fit my gauge perfectly & not use it for competition for that one gun. Yet,, it's often feeds just fine in another gun.

That said, a lot of chambers have enough tolerance to where a lot of ammo will fit even if it doesn't "chamber-check."

FLgun

Single-Sixer
I use several of them,,, and they are very useful. Especially if you use a semi-auto calibers. And especially if you are a competition shooter. You do not want any ammo that won't feed 100%.

In my competition guns,, one has a very tight chamber. It has to have ammo that fits to be reliable 100% of the time. A chamber check gauge is a necessity.

And you might be surprised at how a round may appear to be just fine,, yet is too big to properly fit. I have learned to set aside any ammo that doesn't fit my gauge perfectly & not use it for competition for that one gun. Yet,, it's often feeds just fine in another gun.

That said, a lot of chambers have enough tolerance to where a lot of ammo will fit even if it doesn't "chamber-check."
So regarding revolver ammo checking … would I need one ammo checker for .38 AND 357 separately? Would it be a good idea to check all factory ammo rounds before shooting or just reloads for safety ?

So regarding revolver ammo checking … would I need one ammo checker for .38 AND 357 separately? Would it be a good idea to check all factory ammo rounds before shooting or just reloads for safety ?
Reloads primarily. I try to stick to once fired brass so I don't have to worry about trimming but you still need to watch for bulged (Glock) brass as well. After a few reloads the brass stretches requiring trimming which is a whole nother level of pain in the tail. If I know there isn't any Glock brass I just dump the bucket in the case feeder for the progressive. Anything else defeats the purpose of having a progressive.

Cholo

Staff member
I only use them for checking semi auto rounds as well as .223 for a semi auto or bolt rifle. I don't use them for typical revolver cartridges. No to checking factory rounds.

Mine are all Dillon which are excellent quality.

I learned to use the barrel of my CZ75 to conduct plunk tests. If the rounds fit my CZ, they chamber in all my other 9mm guns.

Rounds that would fit in my chamber gauge, did not necessarily fit in the chamber of all my guns.

Also, ammo for guns that are fed from a magazine must fit in the magazine. If the round is too long, it will bind in the magazine. I learned this from experience.

beentheredone

Single-Sixer
I've never used one. I already have the semiauto barrel and mag, or revolver cylinder I am loading for, so these are my checking tools.

Xrayist

Single-Sixer
I must be either very lucky, or very unintelligent....I started to reload in 1972. Have reloaded many cartridges including, but not limited to, 38ACP, 9MM, 9MM Steyr, 38 Super, 44 Special, 44 Magnum, 45ACP, 45 Colt, 223, 7MM Mauser, 308 (used in FAL, M1A,), 30-06 (used in Garand, Winchester M70, Remington 740, and other rifle cartridges from 30-30 to 510 Wells, to 577 3" Nitro Express.....and have never used a case length gauge. The only one I had issues with was the 740, it was picky. I have used the cartridges in bolt, lever action, semi auto, full auto, and single shot rifles, revolvers and semi auto pistols. In all those years never owned, or even used, a ammo checking device.

I shot competition at one time also and an ammo checker was one of the first accessories that I bought when I started loading rounds for my comp guns. Saves a lot of heartache on the line. As for 38/357, my Lyman checker uses the same hole and is marked 38/357. Even though I don't shoot competitively any more I still run my reloads through the checker (random picks out of the batch as I'm loading) - just to be sure I AM doing things correctly.

Tinman883

Bearcat
I use the Lyman Multi-Caliber Handgun Ammo Checker for checking semi auto handgun rounds. I have a Wilson checker for .223 rifle.
I rarely chamber a round for checking while in the reloading room. I feel safer using the checker gauges.
I don't check 100% of the rounds, only during die setup and at the end of a run. Have have not had any problem chambering rounds since I started using the gauges.

contender

Ruger Guru
Many people use the barrel ONLY to chamber check their loads. (It's safer than using the entire gun.)

I also have been loading my own ammo since the 1970's, and didn't used to think that I needed a case gauge. But in 1998, I got into competition and realized that for semi-auto ammo, it was a necessity if I wanted to make sure my ammo would fit all the time.
Revolver or other rimmed calibers don't usually need one.

loaded round

Hunter
I have two custom made 1911's by Nighthawk Custom and both have very tight chambers a per their specs. No problem with factory ammo, but have found it necessary to run all my reloaded ammo thru a cartridge checker insure that all rounds are correctly crimped and proper length io insure chambering and functioning.. I also run all my range 223 ammo for my AR-15 thru a chamber gauge for the same reasoning. All it takes is a little time and I have plenty of that since I'm retired.

Latest posts