A good night hog trapping

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
14 in all; one big sow, two young males, six young females, five piglets. The piglets didn't go in the trap, momma left them outside in the grass. Several piglets got away, but I expect they will pretty quickly be coyote dinners.
413378259.jpg

413378258.jpg

We had a taker for the young adults. Ditched the big sow.

Private property in NW Alabama.

Gramps we used a Jaeger Pro gate with remote drop (cell phone activated), active camera sending pics every two minutes so you can tell when the whole sounder is in the trap. We built our own enclosure with rigid fence panels, 16' square(ish). Had a small corn feeder in the trap which we supplemented with soured corn/Koolaid bait. We built the enclosure and just let them get used to it for a few days before we installed the gate. Thought it might take them a few days to get used to the gate but they came straight in the same night we put the​ the gate in. We have another bunch of mostly boars we are hoping to catch next. They came to the enclosure a couple of nights but the two groups of hogs wouldn't mix - if one came in, the other hung back and milled about.

We haven't had resident hogs on the property until recently, just some passerbys. They are here now. We knew it was coming because all our landowner neighbors had them. The damage they can do has to be seen to be believed. This is not sport hunting, it is pest eradication to try to preserve sport hunting for native species.

6GUNSONLY, Hogs are destroying a large part of the corn crop at the farm where I hunt which is about 10 miles south of Camden in Hybart. Farm adjoins Attorney General Jeff Sessions property. Trapper has two traps set and is trapping a few at a time.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
gramps said:
Yeah buddy! That is the way to diminish the herd. Where were you trapping? Bait used? What kind of trap, and size.
gramps

Hi,

And here I thought you'd pretty much sewn up The Ruger Forum's perpetual trophy for mass hog elimination, gramps! Are we gonna have to split this into different categories, like trapping, shooting, clobbering with a Cavalier and who knows what else? :lol:

Rick C

Bkat

Blackhawk
Rick Courtright said:
gramps said:
Yeah buddy! That is the way to diminish the herd. Where were you trapping? Bait used? What kind of trap, and size.
gramps

Hi,

And here I thought you'd pretty much sewn up The Ruger Forum's perpetual trophy for mass hog elimination, gramps! Are we gonna have to split this into different categories, like trapping, shooting, clobbering with a Cavalier and who knows what else? :lol:

Rick C

Gramps is the best shot I know of with a car. He didn't even have a scope mounted on it. As I recall, he just about cleaned out feral hogs in south Texas in one night!

My grandaddy told a story about when he was a young man driving a wholesale produce truck. He delivered to all the little country stores from here up into southern Tennessee. He said one day he'd made his last delivery and had turned around headed home, but still way out in the country. Said there was an old so with a bunch of piglets trotting down the side of the road. Just as he caught up to them, the old so decided she needed to be on the other side of the road and cut right in front of him. If course all the piglets follow her. He said all he could hear was squealing and thumping. When he got stopped, he'd killed the sow and all ten piglets. Then he had to go find the family they belonged to and tell them they were out of the pig business. I think the produce company paid them for the Lost pork.

Rick Courtright said:
gramps said:
gramps

Hi,

Rick C
Yep :D :D :D The body shop wanted to know what the hell happened. Dead pigs everywhere but I think they won the battle.

Bkat said:
Rick Courtright said:
gramps said:
gramps

Hi,

Rick C

Gramps is the best shot I know of with a car. He didn't even have a scope mounted on it. As I recall, he just about cleaned out feral hogs in south Texas in one night!
I don't know if you are aware of this. But every town in South Texas now has a statue of Gramps and his Hog Killing Car in the town square.

Taterman

Buckeye
Wyandot Jim said:
I don't know if you are aware of this. But every town in South Texas now has a statue of Gramps and his Hog Killing Car in the town square.

Excellent! :)

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
gramps said:
Wow! Thanks guys! I didn't realize I was that well known!
gramps

Hi,

You're a hero around these parts, gramps. Now go get plenty of pictures of those statues before some do gooder hog hugger says it never happened and tries to have 'em removed! :lol:

Rick C