Help Support Ruger Forum:

All 45s Some of these have gone to other homes

1255193471.jpg

A picture of 45s along with some old ads

pair45-2.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
I have to ask.

Jim, the bottom pair of case hardened ones. With the older style grips with the black medallions. They appear to be Flattops, AND 3-screws. Is it the photography, or just my eyes deceiving me? Ruger never made a FT OM in .45 Colt.

I have to ask.

Jim, the bottom pair of case hardened ones. With the older style grips with the black medallions. They appear to be Flattops, AND 3-screws. Is it the photography, or just my eyes deceiving me? Ruger never made a FT OM in .45 Colt.
Contender,
Those two started life as 4 5/8" 357 Flattops. They were the the first that I had Alan Harton customize. He converted them to 45 Colt with new 5 1/2" barrels and made new sights and he sent the frames to Doug Turnbull for case hardening. He also added "Gramps 2003" to the top of the barrel so they stay in the family.
I have never understood why some folks have guns converted to 44 special when the 45 Colt will do the same as a 44 special and more. IMHO

I still don't have a decent picture of these. They look so much better in real life.
45FTs-1-1.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
"Maybe someone should have told Skeeter that Mr. Bill built a mighty fine 44 Mag that would shoot 44 special"

Skeeter actually had a sweet Ruger OM FT 44 mag. BUT,, due to the fact that the shorter barrel on the 357 felt better & Bill didn't amke a .44 like that,, Skeeter had his .44 Spl. made out of a .357. He got the package size, (mid frame,) short barrel, and chose the .44 spl as the caliber he preferred in that package.

Contender,
At the time I had my Flattops converted to 45 Colt, Ruger did not make any mid size frames in 45 Colt. Since I was shooting SASS at the time 45 Colt was just a better choice FOR ME IMHO it is more versatile with choice of bullets. The mid size frame and the steel removed from barrel and cylinder really makes a great Hog Leg. Kind of like that other one called a SAA by that Colt outfit:)
I also like the looks of the 5 1/2" barrel which Mr Bill must not have liked. Another advantage of the 357/45 Colt is not having the counter bored Cyl. which allows you to see if you are on an empty chamber. Yea I know the load one skip one and load 4. BUT you don't know if you might have a high primer until it's to late.
Even though it isn't quite has handy to me the 7 1/2" looks the best. How can you not like the opening of Matt and Gunsmoke ???

Last edited:
Just to show you guys how Stooooopid I can be. The two 7 1/2" high polish SS Vaqueros that had action jobs, nice maple grips with red eagles, and cyl. bored to the correct size I sold.
I think I sold both of them to a RF Member for $950 about 6 years ago. No I didn't need the money. I just woke up stoopid. I didn't shoot them in SASS anymore so didn't see a need for them, BUT wish I would have kept them. :( :(

contender

Ruger Guru
"I also like the looks of the 5 1/2" barrel which Mr Bill must not have liked."
It was my understanding that Bill, not wanting waste,, couldn't work out the math to cut barrel stock w/o throwing away a small piece of steel. I do not think he didn't "like" 5-1/2" barrels, but instead, didn't like the waste. I think that's why the 4-5/8" barrels were like that & not 4-1/2". Plus, shorter barrels meant he could get a few more out of a long length of barrel stock.

I have a pair of Vaquero's that have been well worked just for SASS. They too are in .45 Colt. SWEET guns!

Latest posts