450 Bushmaster Scout

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MIshooter

Single-Sixer
I picked one of these up when they first came out. Not sure why but it looked like a fun gun. So far no disappointment.

Been shooting Hornady Custom 250gr FTX (gummy bear tips) which says 2200 fps. At 100 yds with a Leupold 2x Scout scope I got a bit ragged 10 shot group measuring about 3". Not bad for 2x and resting on my elbows. Certainly will take a deer here in Michigan.

Well, played with the chronograph and some handloads this weekend. A balmy 85° and sunny. Factory ammo went as advertised, 2200 fps.

250gr FTX and 36.0gr Lil Gun, WSR primers went about 2225 fps. 38.0 gr went 2310 fps. Accuracy was as good as factory.

240 gr XTP Mag, 34.0 gr Lil Gun and the same primer registered a really consistent 2240 fps with a total spread over 6 shots of only 10 fps! 36.0 gr went 2320 fps. As expected, the blunt bullets were a bit tricky to load into the chamber but with some work I think it will do ok.

So far so good. Now I need to do some fine tuning. Surprising everything went to the same point of impact and I had one big hole in the target. Also I swear I'm shooting wadcutters as the holes are sharp like a paper punch made the holes. Recoil was not an issue. The brake really worked well. One note is that it's a great gun to clear out the range. Blast to the sides is not a minor thing.

Whats your experience?

MIshooter

Single-Sixer
I did some more reloads this weekend this time trying to find a lower power level with a cheaper bullet. I picked a 230gr Hornady XTP. I went with Accurate 5744 using their calculation of 40% of the full case load of powder to the base of the bullet for cast as a starting load and 60% for jacketed loads. From this I picked loads of 20gr and 25gr. All loads were shot at 50yds with a 2x scout scope. Chronograph was at 10 ft from the muzzle. Weather was sunny and 75°F.

The 20gr load clocked at 1040FPS but with lots of unburnt powder. Accuracy was roughly 1.5" for a five shot group.

The 25gr load upped the speed to 1250FPS and went into a tight 1" group with few unburnt powder kernels. Not bad accuracy wise and pleasant to shoot.

One thing I found shooting blunt nose bullets is to not load more than three rounds in the magazine. The feed ok at 3 but like to jam with 4.

Next loads will be with an SNS Cast coated RN bullets

Latest posts