357 Max

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Prescut

Single-Sixer
I'm kind of hooked on the 357 Maximum. I really enjoy shooting 100+ yards ringing steel gongs. Most folks never get a chance to even try it. The "instant audio feedback" from the gongs is not even comparable to later looking through a scope to find out if you hit anything. It's FUN.
The maximum is built for that kind of long range, flat shooting. I'll grab almost any of them I find.

Prescut

contender

Ruger Guru
"I'm pretty sure it was designed for full-footed rams at 200 meters, so ringing steel is in its DNA"

Considering that a serious IHMSA shooter David Bradshaw helped Bill & Bill Jr develop the .357 Maxi,, you are correct. His excellent article in G&A decades ago was about this. (And he still uses his serial number 16 often. Plus,, a few years back,, he and another guy, Lee Martin, designed a wonderful cast bullet for just that gun! The Bradshaw/Martin.)

jan Gilliland

Bearcat
Yeah!!! Are those frames Flame Cut from heavy use???
Go
IMG_1089.jpeg

Flame cutting only goes a little ways,, then normally stops. Plus,, it's often most common from folks using lightweight bullets and a hotter, faster burning powder.

My Maxi enjoys 4227 & a gas checked, cast, heavy bullet. No topstrap flame cutting.
Well I wasn't sure from the pictures!!! I'm pretty sure that 1 is a 1980!!!