RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:41 pm 
Bearcat

I really enjoy the Super Blackhawk and think one chambered in .454 Casull would be a great combination. I understand a SBH can be converted to 454 Casull by a gunsmith. Do you think Ruger will ever make a 454 Casull SBH? Who does the conversion and what does it normally cost?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:44 pm 
Hawkeye

Yes, it can and has been done. I certainly wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Ruger to do it though. If having one is important enough, get your wallet ready. Starting with a whole new cylinder, and going up from there depending on what else you'd want, you're looking at $1000 minimum. I certainly wouldn't have just any gunsmith do the work. i'd want one of the better known 'smith doing that type of stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:58 pm 
Site Admin

I'd hesitate and do a bit more research. The .454 Casull runs at pretty high pressures when speaking of max hunting loads. The "proof" loads are at astronomical pressure levels.

Not many of the Elite Group of "Top Gunsmiths" will bother with the .454.

The lowly old .45 Colt cartridge will work quite well.

I'd recommend reading what Ross Seyfried has written on the subject. One of his articles is posted on the web. Click HERE.

John Linebaugh is one 'smith whom has been "at the roots" of these LARGE CALIBRE Single Action Revolvers. He has some very informative
info posted on his website. Link to Linebaugh's site HERE. His "Writings" section contains lots of good stuff.

Ruger has indeed made a .454 Casull Super Blackhawk prototype. The story I heard is that the recoil was unmanageable. Obviously Ruger didn't use the Bisley grip frame....... :D

As Usual, JMHO,

flatgate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:50 pm 
Hunter

I have fired a BFR in 454, and also fired one in 500 S&W
not for the recoil timid
Personally I will leave the 454 loads for my Puma lever carbine and just shoot the hot 45 Colt loads in handgun since I am old and do not enjoy physical hand and wrist and elbow pain recreationally

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:24 pm 
Bearcat

I appreciate everyone's comments here! I read through John Linebough's comments and found that interesting. I was just kind of curious, especially being Ruger makes the Redhawk in .454 Casull, I would've thought the SBH would be a natural for it, too.

Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:14 am 
Single-Sixer

straightcut wrote:
I appreciate everyone's comments here! I read through John Linebough's comments and found that interesting. I was just kind of curious, especially being Ruger makes the Redhawk in .454 Casull, I would've thought the SBH would be a natural for it, too.

Thanks again!

Ruger makes the 454 in the SUPER Redhawk and the cylinder and barrel are made with a special metal. If you want a 454 SA just buy a FA or BFR. OR, better yet, just buy one in a 475 Linebaugh.

Like Flatgate, said. the "lowly" 45 Colt loaded with Ruger Only rounds will do the job. I'm shooting a 355gr at 1200fps out of my SBH Hunter. My 454 rounds are shot in the Puma levergun!

But, having said that. I'd like to get my hands on a 454 SRH Cylinder and have it put in my 4" 45 Colt Redhawk..... Just Because :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:10 am 
Buckeye

From personal experience I can say that a 45 Colt or 475 Linebaugh did not scratch my 454 itch... I'd say listen to all the pros and cons and do what you want to do.. If you like stuff like the 454 you'll end up with a 475 in time anyway... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:56 am 
Hunter

You might look into a .480 or 475. same or more power with less pressure.