SR9c, will it work in a SR9 Serpa holster?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

owsi26

Bearcat
I like level II Serpa holsters, but they only make it for the SR9. Will the compact fit well, along with proper lock/release in big brother's holster?

Also, I searched stickys, threads, google, etc., but it seems everyone is looking for IWB. I do not like carrying that way. I like Galco holsters and they do make holsters for the SR9. I'm thinking leather SR9 holsters will work for the compact, although the holster won't be as compact as it should be.

If this has been discussed before, my apologies. Will someone kindly point me to the thread? Remember, I'm new here so please be merciful!

kscott

Single-Sixer
Pretty much all of the SR9 holsters will fit the SR9c; it's just a matter of "how well." You just need to kind of look at the length of the holster in the slide area. Some holsters don't go all the way to the muzzle of the SR9, but some do and depending on what you're wanting may be too long for you. For example, the link posted above is going to be long for your SR9c assuming it is one model for the that "fits" both the SR9 and the SR9c because in the pic it extends the entire way to the muzzle. It may not be a big deal for you because it won't be really long, but it may affect concealibility. OTOH, the IWB in my avatar fits the SR9c just as well as the SR9 because the holster does not cover the slide toward the muzzle. Make sense? I have a pic of my SR9c in my SERPA around here somewhere. I'll try to find it.

kscott

Single-Sixer
Found it...
IMG_1574.jpg

It looks kind of weird in the SERPA no doubt, but it's just because its a fairly large holster and the short grip of the gun makes it look like it's about ready to fall out. I promise you it's secure and works just the same as my SR9 in it. If you're looking for concealed carry with this rig, you could always do a little chop job on the bottom if you wanted and then just smooth the bottom edge of it out a little after you cut.

owsi26

Bearcat
kscott":2yqz558x said:
Found it...
IMG_1574.jpg

It looks kind of weird in the SERPA no doubt, but it's just because its a fairly large holster and the short grip of the gun makes it look like it's about ready to fall out. I promise you it's secure and works just the same as my SR9 in it. If you're looking for concealed carry with this rig, you could always do a little chop job on the bottom if you wanted and then just smooth the bottom edge of it out a little after you cut.

It does look like it is about to fall out! I've also found that two Galco PPS holster will accept the SR9c, but part of the barrel pokes out. Maybe in time, there will be more SR9c holster - I hope!

owsi26

Bearcat
I've found that two of my Galco holsters for a Walther PPS .40, fit the SR9c just fine. But they are not retention holsters. So, today I ordered the Serpa level II, for the SR9, for my SR9c.

I think a large part of the funny look is Serpa's change in design. The holster used to cover more of a gun, but they reduced the holster size(especially on the front) for faster re-holstering and faster un-holstering. Or so they say. Less material equals less cost. I prefer the old design.

The old design looked better and it worked fine. I ordered one for a FNH Five Seven and it looks really weird. The pistol already looks weird by itself, but I love it.