SR9c trigger problem?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Princeps P

Bearcat
I apologize if this has already been asked, I had limited time to search for a similiar topic. I recently bought a Ruger SR9c and this will be my first Ruger. I have been using Glocks and XD's for the past few years as my carry firearms. I read terrific reviews on the SR9c and the gun itself was beautiful. I did the usual field strip and cleaning after my purchase and made sure everything was functioning properly before taking it to the range. Today I shot about 150 rounds through to break it in. I kept having a reoccuring error with the trigger mechanism. About 15 times it would not lock into the forward position for the next shot, I had to push it forward until it clicked into position. Also, multiple times when it would click into position I could feel it click. The trigger just did not feel smooth. I own multiple Glocks and XD's and never had this problem. I am wondering if this is a known issue and something I can correct myself? Feels like I could have a weak spring. This gun was bought factory new. Sadly, the place I bought it from said all sales are final and I would have to contact Ruger for any defects or repairs. I am hoping to avoid the hassle of this.

Thank You,
P.

kscott

Single-Sixer
Welcome to the forum, sorry its on a bum note. Have you cleaned the pistol prior to the range time? Ruger's are known for having a lot of packing grease from the factory, I know everyone I have owned did. If it hasn't been cleaned, do that and lightly oil it and give it another go.

ruger_fan

Bearcat
Sorry your first post is on a bum note also.

I would definitely try the field strip and re-oil again as suggested.

If the issue recurs, just call Ruger. While I've not dealt firsthand with their repair and service department, they do get rave reviews here.

I did purchase some things through their online store, and have nothing but great things to say about that part of their service. Ordered on Sunday, had it by the following Wednesday.

Princeps P

Bearcat
I did field strip and clean it prior to the range. I will give it another cleaning and try and take it back out. Perhaps, I will see if the trigger mechanism is easy to get to like a Glock and remove it and clean/oil.

EdgeSR9

Bearcat
Sounds like the internals have some factory grease in them yet.Don't shy away from Ruger,it's more than likely a cleaning issue.

Ruger Nut10

Single-Sixer
I had the same issue and I sent mine back and they replaced the slide and some component in the trigger assy. Mine would do the same only on the 17 rd mag, but was flawless with the 10 rd mag. The trigger seems crisp now but have yet to test fire it after the factory put 40 rds through it.
P.S. They will have a month before you will get it back.

jhearne

Buckeye
A few people have had this issue as well, it's not common, but it does seem happen every now and then. If you want to get into the components, check my signature for some how-to's, both text/picture and video. Worst case you have to send it in to Ruger.

Josh

Princeps P

Bearcat
Thanks to all! I will take a more in-depth look at the videos when I get home from work. I found another thread with same issue. Seems like some people send it in for repair while other get a few hundreds rounds through it to work the problem out. It seems like the problem is a result of the 17 round magazine. I will need to take it back to the range and see if this is true, I was not paying attention to what magazine I had in at the time.

Princeps P

Bearcat
jhearne":yt1dizmv said:
A few people have had this issue as well, it's not common, but it does seem happen every now and then. If you want to get into the components, check my signature for some how-to's, both text/picture and video. Worst case you have to send it in to Ruger.

Josh

I really enjoyed your videos. In fact, they came in quite handy as a pin fell out while I was inspecting the gun and I had no clue where it came from. After a few minutes of panic I remembered your videos and was able to put it back without a problem.

I took the gun back to the range today to further investigate my trigger problem. I shot a box through the ten round magazine without incident. I also shot a box through the 17 round magazine but on the last round I had a misfire. However, I believe that was a result of a bad primer and not the gun. I think the trigger issue was just part of breaking the gun in.

P.