Bullet Swaging

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I didn't know there were home bullet swaging kits.

Anybody swage bullets? The prices are a little scary. $600 for a hand press and $200-$300 for simple dies.

http://www.corbins.com/index.htm

Q. Can I use my reloading press for swaging?
A. Yes, Corbin makes the Pro-Swage dies and other type -R dies for the reloading press. Some weights, shapes, and calibers or styles are not available for a reloading press. Most paper-patched or pistol bullets with SWC shoulder (and almost any nose shape) can be made with the Pro-Swage dies in your sturdy slotted ram 7/8-14 threaded reloader (like an RCBS Rockchucker or Pacific MultiPower).

...Jimbo

captainkirk

Blackhawk
There is a group over at castboolits.com that are really into this sort of thing. Some have even made jacketed bullets from spent brass casings. 44 mag bullets from 40 S&W brass is one of the interesting ideas being discussed.

It is expensive though, just think in volume...

captainkirk

Cary

Single-Sixer
I'm just making an observation here mind you. Unless your making jacketed bullets I think your bullets would have a low BHN because of the need for soft lead in the swaging process. That is fine if that is what you want. I think the lead bullets Hornady sells are swaged. It would be interesting to me to be able to make my own jacketed bullets but I don't see it as being cost effective. I have been wrong before though.
Cary

captainkirk

Blackhawk
Cary":5lwrf4l3 said:
I'm just making an observation here mind you. Unless your making jacketed bullets I think your bullets would have a low BHN because of the need for soft lead in the swaging process. That is fine if that is what you want. I think the lead bullets Hornady sells are swaged. It would be interesting to me to be able to make my own jacketed bullets but I don't see it as being cost effective. I have been wrong before though.
Cary

I believe you are correct on all points. I have not researched the topic as fully as some, but I believe the "feed stock" for the bullets is soft lead wire. This would be less than the BHN of even un-heat-treated cast bullets. And, like I said before, you really have to think voulme if you want to make the jacketed ones, and they need to be exactly what you want. We haven't even touched on "time" yet.

For what the set up would cost me, I could buy every jacketed bullet I would need for a few lifetimes, but I don't shoot as much as a lot of the folks around here.

captainkirk

Hammer

Single-Sixer

Have been swaging my own bullets for over 35 years.

Have three Ted Smith Mity-Mite presses specifically made for bullet swaging. Ted Smith is the fellow who taught Corbin.

Swage everything from 22 caliber rifle up through 458 caliber rifle and basically all handgun calibers.

Even make my own bullet jackets.

Do not recommend it for anyone who wants to remain sane.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I was thinking that for someone that shot a lot of target or cowboy bullets swaging soft lead bullets might be: 1) easier, 2) less time consuming, 3) possibly cheaper in the long run.

I am wondering about getting a steel cylinder and some nose pieces and hammer swaging some bullets? Not that I ever will. :D

...Jimbo

Hammer

Single-Sixer

Buying cast bullets or casting your own would be easier than swaging.

Can't use any scrap lead for swaging. Swaging requires nearly pure lead. Any hardening alloy makes the lead unsuitable for swaging.

This same scrap lead is fine for casting Cowboy Action Shooting (SASS) bullets.

Greebe

Single-Sixer
I make bullet swaging dies. I am making .223 dies right now. You take .22LR cases and make them into jackets and then seat some lead cores and then run them into a point forming die. Simple as that. The dies I design are for use in a typical single stage press. You don't have to buy a special press like the Corbin dies.

I am getting my CNC lathe set up for a run and should have some more ready to ship by next month.

I will also be making swaging dies for making copper jacketed pistol bullets. I should probably have them ready by late June.

I will update you guys when more come available.

Greebe

Enigma

Hunter
I'm slowly getting set up to swage some of the more uncommon caliber rifle bullets that I hunt with - .257" for Roberts and Weatherby, .312" for .303 British, 7.62X54R Russian, and .7.65X53mm Argentine Mauser; also .358" bullets for .35 Whelen. I already bought a real monster of a swaging press for an eminently reasonable price; now I just need dies.

I am already set up to swage .44 bullets from .40 S&W brass; next step is the dies to swage .224" bullets from .22 LR brass.

There ARE sources for dies other than the Corbin brothers; some are much less expensive, others not so much.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Once in a while I get a wild hair to learn about swaging, but when I go visit Corbin's site, just the prices scare me off!

So I've got a question for you guys who do it: how much of a press does one REALLY need? Seems several of the "heavy duty" single stage models commonly used by reloaders today are plenty beefy compared to what was available when Fred Huntington started RCBS... 'specially reading what Greebe wrote. Or are the behemoths like Corbin's offers really necessary?

Rick C