RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sp101 2 or 3 inch?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:24 pm 
Bearcat

Tossing the idea of a SP101 .357. My only issue is what barrel to get?.
It will be for carry only inside the wasteband. I am just worried about the recoil of a 2 vs the 3 inch, are they close? I know I can also use speer short barrel ammo if needed but will this diminish the 357 stopping power?

My main questions:

Is the 2 inch much more concealable that the 3 inch?
Is the recoil with a true 357 load easier on the 3 inch than the 2 inch

Thanks for any help
stash.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:41 pm 
Bearcat

3/4" of an inch of extra barrel is no big deal to conceal. And the bit of extra weight does help some with recoil. If I had to do it all over again I would go with the 3' 100% every time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:34 pm 
Single-Sixer

I couldn't decide, so I got both:

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

"The Ruger is the most powerfulest handgun in the world" -Overheard gunshop conversation between customers looking at a GP100.

SP101 2 1/4" DAO .357, Super Single Six .32 H&R, Vaquero .44 Special 3 3/4", 22/45 Mk. III, LCP-LM, LCP-R.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:21 pm 
Blackhawk

I have both too. The short barrel one is DAO.

For IWB carry, I think the 3" one is best. It hangs better. I can pocket carry the short one easily.

For recoil and shootability, both do well but the 3" one is easier to score consistent hits with at 50 yards, most likely because I can fire it SA. At 15 yards or less I find no discernable difference. Recoil is not a whole lot different from my perspective but the 3" one seems, subjectively, to have less blast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:06 pm 
Single-Sixer

The one thing I would point out about 3" IWB is the holster choices are really limited compared to 2".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:35 am 
Hawkeye

If I want something small it won't be a 2" SP101. If I want a nice smallish 357 the 3" is my cup of tea. Not only for IWB but it's a handier little firearm in the woods. I have 3 right now and all are 3". I have no use for a 2". IF you want a 2" get an LCR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:28 am 
Bearcat

2" for pockets is mandatory

if 3" is acceptable why not 4" and/or get 6 shots while you're at it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:23 am 
Hunter

my 2" sp101s have gone away but i own 3" sp101s so i guess you can figure out my opine.
the recoil is about the same on both but the fireball is less pronounced on the 3". as far as concealability i have never noticed the difference IWB. the 3" does "hang" better as stated earlier. i dont use a holster though.
velocity has an edge with the 3" according to my friends crono.
the big difference is i couldnt hit a 4" steel spinner with the 2" but i dont have a problem with the 3". no idea why. maybe the sight radius or barrel spin or bullet fairies. could verywell be FIREBALL flinch in the 2".
as far as pocket carry i have an original model (hammer mounted firing pin) smith 36 for that if i am just walking to the corner store.

Post subject: Thanks for the replies!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:04 pm 
Bearcat

Thanks to all for your replies. I may be leaning towards the 3 incher but I want to go to my dealer and try them out "hold them in my hand etc. ".

thanks!!

Stashu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:04 pm 
Single-Sixer

KCUB wrote:
2" for pockets is mandatory

if 3" is acceptable why not 4" and/or get 6 shots while you're at it?

Some folks have deeper pockets.

I'll find room for the extra length.

Some folks love the ole 1 7/8" detective spl & mo' power to 'em...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:09 pm 
Single-Sixer

I've had both,and I like the 3" much more. Great balance and easy shooting.

Skip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:34 pm 
Bearcat

Interesting that the 3" seems to be the overwhelming favorite here even though (as far as I know) the 2" out sells the 3" by a very wide margin.
I bought the 2" as there were no 3" anywhere to be found locally. But I do see the attraction of the 3" and maybe I would have gone that way if one had been available locally.
For now though, I'm very happy with my 2". The way I see it, the extra 1" (actually slightly less than an inch) doesn't make a huge difference. For self defense purposes the 2" is fine. If I want something for marathon range sessions or hunting I'll look at the GP100.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:01 pm 
Hawkeye

I'm a big fan of 3" revolvers on Smith K frames and smaller. That third inch does all sorts of good things for the gun, at very little "cost."

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:01 pm 
Single-Sixer

I have the 2 1/4" DAO model. I carry it IWB. I like not having a hammer jab me in the gut and the 2" model comes that way. I only practice DA shooting because that is what you use during a defensive situation. I can hit with this gun very well within self-defense ranges and beyond. I say hands down the 2 1/4" and make it DAO. practice shooting and you will be fine. Holster was easy to find. This platform is my main ccw. Edited to say for a house gun I like my 3" gp100. 3" sp101 would be a good substitue and a nice range gun. I was thinking conceal carry was your intent when I started posting. The 3" would make a nice night stand gun.

Post subject: SP101 3"
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:44 am 
Buckeye

There DOES seem to be a "more than you would expect" difference between 2 in and 3 in guns. I noticed a difference even between a 2 1/2" model 66 and a 3" model 65. For some reason I will end up shooting just about the same size groups with the 3" and the full size 4", and both will group better by 50% than a 2" model 10. I like the 2" 10, but about three inches is where it gets to be a grown up gun for some reason. If you can carry the extra length, you will like the three.

"Deeds; Not Words"