RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:29 pm 
Bearcat

I bought a vaquero 40 on GB new unfired old model . I called Ruger today and had them run the serial # the lady said it was made in 2010 test fired 1/20/2010. I asked her about it as i thought they did not make the 40S&W anymore she said it had the old model # but was made as a special order.
She would not say how many were produced. They must of had some parts around , If anyone else has a "New Old Model " I would be interested to hear.
Thanks
TG

I

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:53 pm 
Blackhawk

Location: Kuna, Idaho - a sparkling jewel in a park-like setting
Interesting.
Ruger never ceases to amaze me.

You are lucky to find it.

I have an older Vaquero in 38-40 / 40 S&W.
I thought that I would never see a new one.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:22 pm 
Ruger Guru

Welcome to the Forum!
Sounds like a "clean-up" gun to me.
A nice one too!

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:40 am 
Hawkeye

Sounds like a cleanup batch. All Vaqueros are "New Model" single actions. There are/were no Old Model Vaqueros. There is the Vaquero and the New Vaquero, simple. No need to overcomplicate things with additional verbiage.

http://www.sixgunleather.com/index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:00 pm 
Bearcat

I love it when people get cranky and smart mouth me over the computer . I best watch my "Verbiageeeeee" round here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:56 pm 
Hawkeye

tmgreene wrote:
I love it when people get cranky and smart mouth me over the computer . I best watch my "Verbiageeeeee" round here

Hey New Guy,
Welcome to the Forum. Nice find
Now calm down that is just our inside joke about the Vaquero verbiageeeeeeeee. :lol:
Hang around and learn a weeeeeeeee bit from us old cranky farts :wink:
Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:59 pm 
Single-Sixer

That sounds like a great gun, Tom. I get free .40 at work so I wish this would become a regularly cataloged item. If you ever want to work a trade, let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:57 am 
Hawkeye

Nice find I believe that is a Vaquero, rather than it's brother New Vaquero. Wecome aboard. ps

Free men need no permission to Bear Arms

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:45 am 
Hawkeye

Wow, had no idea I 'was' cranky. I reckon some folks just don't like being corrected, even when they're wrong. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:06 am 
Buckeye

+1 for more 40 bore Rugers! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:13 am 
Hunter

So I guess it's "Blackhawks" and "New Model Blackhawks" and NOBODY EVER calls the first model, 3 screw, Blackhawks "Old Model Blackhawks"?

My guess is that until there is a 3rd variation on the theme, "Old Model" and "New Model" will continue to be used among all but the most dedicated collectors.

They are useful terms, especially to the layman, even if they are not quite technically accurate. We deal with all levels of Ruger fans on this forum from one gun owners to VERY serious collectors. Enlightenment and correction should always offered in humbleness - we were all ignorant of the nuances and finer points of Rugers at one time.

Just my $0.02 worth on this continual correction on the Vaquero theme.

By the way, which distributor had this special run? - wish I'd heard of it sooner - really would have liked to have picked one up.
Is the 'warning' under the barrel or on the side? If it's under the barrel, than it's really a 'clean up' gun and could be quite rare.

Terry T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:47 am 
Hawkeye

Terry T wrote:

By the way, which distributor had this special run? - wish I'd heard of it sooner - really would have liked to have picked one up.
Is the 'warning' under the barrel or on the side? If it's under the barrel, than it's really a 'clean up' gun and could be quite rare.

Terry T

Davidsons has been doing "clean-up" guns for Ruger for some time. They did a whole lot of 44mag Vaqueros.
Now they got Bisley Vaqueros in 44mag and some Bisley Blackhawks in 357mag. :D :D

Bisley Vaquero in 44mag
https://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Def ... =RBNV475-C

Bisley in 357 mag.
https://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Def ... em=RB35W-C

...good hunting, Jimbo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:01 am 
Hawkeye

Terry T wrote:
So I guess it's "Blackhawks" and "New Model Blackhawks" and NOBODY EVER calls the first model, 3 screw, Blackhawks "Old Model Blackhawks"?

Really starting to feel like a broken record on this. "Old Model" is a factory designation for pre-1973 single actions utilizing the traditional half cock action. "New Model" is the factory designation for all single actions produced 1973-present. There is the Vaquero and the New Vaquero. Similar but two distinctive names for two different New Model single actions. There is no need for additional descriptors. No, it is not a useful term, especially for the less experienced. It is confusing and silly and no, it's not technically correct. We have already had several people asking why their "Old Model Vaquero" did not have a half cock notch.

My first post was not intended to chastise, it was not done in a "cranky" mood or tone. It was "just the facts, ma'am". The problem is that in our politically correct society folks wanna get offended at every opportunity. Including when they are corrected for using incorrect terminology. I'm here to talk about Rugers and help folks if I can. Not to spoonfeed the happy ignorant and/or the easily offended.

For the record, so that there is no confusion, now I'm getting a little cranky. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:14 am 
Hawkeye

CraigC wrote:
...There is the Vaquero and the New Vaquero. Similar but two distinctive names for two different New Model single actions. There is no need for additional descriptors.

Well there is the problem that Ruger calls the New Model Vaqueros just Vaqueros in all their literature. The only way to tell really is the model number which begins with NV- But for conversation I agree with you, just the two names is all that is necessary, Vaquero and New Vaquero. :D

http://ruger.com/products/vaqueroBlued/index.html

...Jimbo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:43 am 
Hunter

Let's see if I have this right.

First generation Blackhawks are not marked "Old Model Blackhawks" but it's OK to call them "Old Model Blackhawks" and first generation Vaqueros are not marked "Old Model Vaqueros" but it is NOT OK to call them "Old Model Vaqueros".

I DO understand that Ruger, themselves, started referring to the first generation Blackhawks as "Old Models" in order to do the court required safety repairs.

In other brands, folks refer to generations of variations. May I suggest that we Ruger folks begin referring to the various changes as generations?

Therefore we would have 1st and 2nd generation Blackhawks and 1st and 2nd generation Vaqueros. (There might be more "generations" if one wants to get into "Flattop" vis protected sight Blackhawks, etc.).

I think it would get us out of this sometimes confusing and overlapping terminology. We Ruger collectors do not have to use the mismash of terms that Ruger has used that is leading to the continual confusion of the layman. Collectors of other brands have set the terms that collectors use, not the brands (think Colt and S&W).

Terry T