RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:00 pm 
Hawkeye

This sometimes heated argument has been going on in some of the relative threads, so as redundant as it may be to some folks, I think we need to know for sure...

Ruger, specifically describes the slides on the SR9c as either stainless, or blackened alloy.

This, copied from Ruger's website...
"A variation of the SR9c that boasts a unique, high-tech, Nitrodox Pro Black finish over the alloy steel slide and high-performance, glass-filled nylon frame."

also from their website...
SR9c™
Brushed Stainless
Blackened Alloy

SR9®
Brushed Stainless
Blackened Stainless

So, if a body was to buy the blackened model, and discovered it is not stainless, underneath, but the seller insists it is blackened stainless, who might be guilty of misrepresentation?

And I am fully aware that the full-size SR9 is advertised as blackened stainless. This contributes to the confusion, and to the argument.

WAYNO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:07 pm 
Single-Sixer

Well, stainless is an alloy is it not? And stainless comes in different varieties. As does alloy steel. I would really like to know the specifics of the steel make up for both their stainless and their alloy (4140? 4150?), I mean come on, what are we working with here?

I think in this case it comes down to buyer beware. Though there is that whole false advertisement thing. I'm confused now. I'm going to the range....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:14 pm 
Hawkeye

Turbobuddha wrote:
Well, stainless is an alloy is it not? And stainless comes in different varieties. As does alloy steel. I would really like to know the specifics of the steel make up for both their stainless and their alloy (4140? 4150?), I mean come on, what are we working with here?

I think in this case it comes down to buyer beware. Though there is that whole false advertisement thing. I'm confused now. I'm going to the range....

Yes, stainless is an alloy. But why does Ruger, then, confuse us by calling one slide blackened stainless, and the other one blackened alloy, in the same catalogue, on the same page?

I work with metal, every day. When we say alloy steel, we're talking tool, or other high-tensile steels. When we're working with stainless, we just say stainless, and add the number, when it needs to be known.

WAYNO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:24 pm 
Blackhawk

I couldn't agree more that it is confusing. The way I take it is that the SR9c blackened slide is not "stainless steel" but is some other type of alloy steel. I emailed Ruger a few weeks ago about the difference and really got a beat around the bush answer that I posted in another thread.

This one...
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtop ... 652#741652

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail."
Benjamin Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:31 pm 
Bearcat

Turbobuddha wrote:

Stainless is an alloy, but not ALL alloys are certainly stainless, in order to be classified as stainless an alloy need to contain at least 11% CHROMIUM...that is what gives stainless all of it's corrosion resistance properties. (also need some nickel in it too). So I imagine the black ALLOY in used for the SR9c slide is minus the chromium. Hopefully the Nitrodox treatment is the key to making this alloy durable. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:34 pm 
Hunter

I would say the process to blacken any form of a cast stainless steel will require a chemical and probable mechanical treatment to the base material prior to finishing due to the chromium or nickel percentage in a stainless. If you would drop these levels, it is technically no longer stainless but may be far less expensive to finish. If any of you recall, on the SR9, the slide serrations on a plain stainless compared to a blackened one, were reported as far sharper, this may and probably was from those treatment steps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:00 pm 
Blackhawk

My SR9c slide is stamped "A" for alloy and my SR9 slide is stamped "K" for stainless. Just noticed this.

Benjamin Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:12 pm 
Buckeye

kscott wrote:
My SR9c slide is stamped "A" for alloy and my SR9 slide is stamped "K" for stainless. Just noticed this.
Where is this stamp? My blackened SR9c slide has an "S" stamped on the inside top surface, forward of the ejection port. There is an "A" cast in the groove between the striker block release and the extractor retaining pin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:13 pm 
Blackhawk

Iron Mike Golf wrote:
kscott wrote:
Where is this stamp? My blackened SR9c slide has an "S" stamped on the inside top surface, forward of the ejection port. There is an "A" cast in the groove between the striker block release and the extractor retaining pin.

Yeah that's where my "A" is. I had never noticed the other letter, but I just looked and I have an "M" or a "W" (I'm not really sure which. haha) where your "S" is. What does everyone else have on theirs? FWIW I don't have a mark there on my SR9 though. I wonder what they're for??

Benjamin Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:28 pm 
Single-Sixer

Dont know, I went with the Black just because I liked its looks better :) so far it still looks nice after a few sessions holstering re holstering cleaning..hopefully it stays that way..I have a feeling it will todays finishes are pretty durable compared to the old bluing :) .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:07 pm 
Blackhawk

Hey CBennet, if you don't mind, could you field strip your pistol and look on the inside top of the slide just in front of the ejection port and see what letter it has. Same for any other SR9c owners, please.

Benjamin Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:10 pm 
Bearcat

Actually, in use I haven't seen a great deal of difference between how long it takes stainless guns to rust compared to blued ones of alloy steel. I really don't see what difference it makes. These days I have seen bead blasted stainless guns rusted in the gun stores, and still technically new. Alloy steel, as in 4140, etc. tends to gall less, and wear a bit better in my experience anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:42 pm 
Hunter

I am not sure what a "nitrodox" finish is but if it is similar to the nitriding processes used by Glock or XD it should be very tough & corrosion resistant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:06 pm 

On their recent guns, Sig uses a finish called "Nitron". Just to confuse things further, Sig makes "stainless" guns without a finish, they also have black/blue guns that have blackened (Nitron finish) stainless slides on a blue anodized alloy (aluminum) frame. I have read that the Nitron finish itself is so hard that it can abrade the anodizing.

How all this relates to the SR9(c) and/or Ruger is beyond me, but I felt like babbling about finishes...

-- Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:59 pm 
Bearcat

Yosemite Sam wrote:
On their recent guns, Sig uses a finish called "Nitron". Just to confuse things further, Sig makes "stainless" guns without a finish, they also have black/blue guns that have blackened (Nitron finish) stainless slides on a blue anodized alloy (aluminum) frame. I have read that the Nitron finish itself is so hard that it can abrade the anodizing.

How all this relates to the SR9(c) and/or Ruger is beyond me, but I felt like babbling about finishes...

-- Sam

whew! :) I didn't think you would ever "FINISH". :P