RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:03 pm 
Offline
Bearcat
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:39 pm
Posts: 27
Location: In the high desert, AZ
What's anyone's opinion on the pro's and con's of a red dot scope versus a stand up panoramic reticular sight for a MkIII 22/45?

Thanks!

_________________
"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
-- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:16 pm 
Offline
Single-Sixer

Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:18 am
Posts: 167
Location: Minnesota
AZSR9fan wrote:
What's anyone's opinion on the pro's and con's of a red dot scope versus a stand up panoramic reticular sight for a MkIII 22/45?

Thanks!


By "panoramic reticular sight" I presume you mean something like a holographic site such as the UltraDot Pan-AV. I've got a Millett Redot which is a 30MM tube type and also the aforementioned UltraDot Pan-AV. The holographic type will be lighter and quicker to pick up the reticle image; although, I like the Millett better for bulseye shooting. If you've never used either type before, you might want to see if you can get some trigger time behind one before you decide.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:06 am 
Offline
Ruger Guru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2002 1:01 am
Posts: 29001
Location: Lake Lure NC USA
I have some of both and have found that the "heads up display" type of reddots are much quicker to aquire on a pistol. I tend to prefer them over most others. I'm a fan of the C-Mores myself!

_________________
Shoot straight and safe!

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:36 am 
Offline
Hunter
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:40 pm
Posts: 4001
Location: Dallas, TX
A couple of weeks ago, I shot a friend's Beretta Neos with a 30mm red dot. Just a cheaper model from BSA. It was very nice. The 30mm tube is both clean and big enough to see the whole target, with plenty of day light coming through.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:45 am 
Offline
Bearcat

Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:47 am
Posts: 3
I have a Tasco Propoint Red Dot on my 22/45 and can pretty much punch out the center of a target at 25 yds with a shooting rest. I'm very please with the combination.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:18 am 
Offline
Single-Sixer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:29 am
Posts: 242
Location: Missouri
Cool thread, I have a 22/45 as well and am trying to figure out what to put on top of it...........


Anyone got pcs of thiers with some optics?

_________________
Lots of Rugers......

"Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
- George Orwell


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:46 am 
Offline
Bearcat
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:39 pm
Posts: 27
Location: In the high desert, AZ
Ski wrote:
AZSR9fan wrote:
What's anyone's opinion on the pro's and con's of a red dot scope versus a stand up panoramic reticular sight for a MkIII 22/45?

Thanks!


By "panoramic reticular sight" I presume you mean something like a holographic site such as the UltraDot Pan-AV. I've got a Millett Redot which is a 30MM tube type and also the aforementioned UltraDot Pan-AV. The holographic type will be lighter and quicker to pick up the reticle image; although, I like the Millett better for bulseye shooting. If you've never used either type before, you might want to see if you can get some trigger time behind one before you decide.


Thanks. Other than "personal preference", I agree it comes down to trigger time to see which someone prefers. But from your comment, since I would be using the scope or sight for paper target shooting and not varmits, the tube set up sounds better for me. I'll try both at the range and see what I like best.

_________________
"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
-- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:53 pm 
Offline
Single-Sixer

Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:18 am
Posts: 167
Location: Minnesota
AZSR9fan wrote:
Ski wrote:
AZSR9fan wrote:
What's anyone's opinion on the pro's and con's of a red dot scope versus a stand up panoramic reticular sight for a MkIII 22/45?

Thanks!


By "panoramic reticular sight" I presume you mean something like a holographic site such as the UltraDot Pan-AV. I've got a Millett Redot which is a 30MM tube type and also the aforementioned UltraDot Pan-AV. The holographic type will be lighter and quicker to pick up the reticle image; although, I like the Millett better for bulseye shooting. If you've never used either type before, you might want to see if you can get some trigger time behind one before you decide.


Thanks. Other than "personal preference", I agree it comes down to trigger time to see which someone prefers. But from your comment, since I would be using the scope or sight for paper target shooting and not varmits, the tube set up sounds better for me. I'll try both at the range and see what I like best.


Then I would also recommend that you see if you can examine one such as the following Ultradot product...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=651463

The Matchdot model has a 2 MOA dot size option which makes for "finer" site placement. Most red dot type tubes start with a 3 or 4 MOA dot which will work for bullseye shooting but will not allow you to be as precise as will a site with the smaller dot size...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:58 pm 
Offline
Bearcat
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:27 pm
Posts: 11
I use one on my 22/45 for Speed Steel. It workd pretty good, just takes a while to get use to. I also have one for my Buckmark.

Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:14 am 
Offline
Bearcat
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:22 am
Posts: 81
Location: North Mankato, Minnesota
I have one of these on a M&P 15-22 and am very pleased with it. With the right adapter it would mount nicely on any handgun. Just a little more information I thought you might be interested in. Another plus is the price.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=842050

SteveK44.. :D

_________________
17HMR...A LITTLE BIT GOES A LONG WAY!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:10 pm 
Offline
Bearcat
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:27 pm
Posts: 11
I also have one on a 45deg mount on the AR-15. Works great for close in targets.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:49 pm 
Offline
Bearcat
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:38 pm
Posts: 27
Location: Southern Illinois
I use Garrett Optical. Tried several and like this one the best. I use it on 3 of my Rugers.
Bolt Etch and engraving by Chuck Keys coltsaa@inreach.com

[img][img]http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd325/Rusty_Trigger/IMG_2419.jpg[/img][/img]

_________________
A friend will bail you out of jail. A TRUE friend will be sitting beside you saying "Damn that was fun!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:50 am 
Offline
Blackhawk
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:37 pm
Posts: 948
Location: SW Ohio
A second vote for the Barska. It has worked flawlessly for over 2 years on my MKIII512 (though it splits time with my Nikon 2x scope).

Image

_________________
"We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so we may always be free" - Ronald Reagan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:31 am 
Offline
Bearcat

Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:26 am
Posts: 4
BSA red dot here (xmas present) got to shoot it today...I like it!
350 rounds and for as bad as I shake...pretty darn good pattern at 20 yards.
I did find starting at 15 ft to site the scope, the bullet rose between 15 and 30 ft..so I had to readjust scope for 30 ft....30-60 ft I saw no change....CCI blazer cheapies for ammo

I might add...350 rounds today and NOT 1 FTF, FTE...I love the weapon!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kerosami and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group