not sure what I have

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jerry1951

Bearcat
Can someone help? I know nothing much about Ruger pistols and I am sitting here looking at a Ruger semi auto pistol .22 It looks like a MarkIII with tapered barrel. Does not say anything except "RUGER 22 cal. Long Rifle Automatic Pistol". It has an awkward clip release at the base of the grip, the release pulls back to release clip and the clip must be pulled out, it does not release or drop.

A Mark III would have the magazine release button right behind the trigger like most other modern semi-autos.

Your serial number indicates a mark I, probably made around 1980.

:)

jerry1951

Bearcat
Ale-8(1)":1zbr6qby said:
A Mark III would have the magazine release button right behind the trigger like most other modern semi-autos.

Thanks, any inherit problems?

our guess is its a 'standard auto' ( mark I vintage, but fixed sights) as said above around 1980.......good ,solid gun and a good shooter....
the 22/45's of the Mark II era and the newer Mark IIIs have the mag release on the left side ,where it should be...Bill Ruger liked that European ,bottom release for some "simplistic" reason... :roll:

DMN

Bearcat
jerry1951":1bi9481a said:
Ale-8(1)":1bi9481a said:

Thanks, any inherit problems?

You are gonna want to shot it a lot. But.....that's ok. :)

If your gun has fixed sights, it's a "Standard Pistol".

If it has adjustable rear sight it's a "Mark I Target Pistol".

You can still find magazines here and there. Actually, I think the later magazines with "follower slots" on both sides can be used if the follower button is re-located to the proper side. This is no big deal.

The .22/45 magazines won't work, however.

jerry1951

Bearcat
Chris,

Thank you the manual is appreciated as well as the links for mags. Any idea how to set a value for this? I am looking at it for myself for a pistol I can shoot a lot.

Jerry

Value depends on condition . . . condition . . . condition . . .

Standard Pistols/Mark I's can bring from $250 to $700 in "collector quality" if you find the guy who really wants one. Some good pictures would help.

FWIW, there isn't as much collector interest in the Ruger autos as in the Old Model single-actions.

There are a lot of them around.

yes,need to knwo "exactly" which model you have, and if its just the standard auto either 4.5/8" or 6inch, it is in the $175 to $225 range, higher end if "boxed" and in "excellent condition"...as Ale-8 said, the target models will then run up from there..........

toysoldier

Hunter
rugerguy":2z0mwagu said:
the 22/45's of the Mark II era and the newer Mark IIIs have the mag release on the left side ,where it should be...Bill Ruger liked that European ,bottom release for some "simplistic" reason... :roll:

I have a MkIII with the button release, and a couple of older auto pistols with the heel catch. As long as you don't need to do fast-as-lightning magazine swaps, the heel catch is just fine. You grasp the bottom of the grip with the non-dominant hand and thumb the release while pushing down on the magazine lip with your pinky or ring finger. The empty is in your hand, not on the ground, and can be quickly pocketed before grabbing a full magazine. Additionally, there is no cut in the magazine to catch the follower, no button awkwardly placed for a lefty, and no question if the magazine is seated. I side with Bill on this one. :p