RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:57 pm 
Blackhawk

I've had my dads old side by side 16 gauge since my uncle gave it to me when I turned 21. Now that was over 35 years ago. I fooled around with it a bit when I first got it but it has been sitting in the closet for most of that time. I don't really know the first thing about shotguns or there use but I'd like to find out more about the old girl. From the little I can find so far it was most likely sold by Sears and it is most likely a Savage/Stevens. There are no serial #s that I can find. The right barrel looking at it from the breach end has "Selected Forged Steal" and the left barrel has "Proof Tested 16 Gauge 2 3/4 inch chamber". There is an IF stamped on both the barrel and the receiver were they mate on the flat. Speaking of barrels, can somebody tell me how much choke each barrel has? The right one is about .639 and the left is about .650. Can I fire slugs through these barrels? The shotgun is in pretty dang good condition for its age. It worked just fine when I put it away as I had put a few boxs of shells through it. I'm thinking on horning in on my son inlaw's bird and turkey hunts. Maybe the young cuss can teach this old dog a thing or two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:28 pm 
Hawkeye

Most likely a variation of the Stevens 311. Is the receiver blued or casehardened? Barrel length (measured from the breech face to the muzzle?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:37 pm 
Blackhawk

Colonel Daddy wrote:
Most likely a variation of the Stevens 311. Is the receiver blued or casehardened? Barrel length (measured from the breech face to the muzzle?

The barrels are a 1/16th short of 28" and the whole gun was browned when I got it. No signs of case hardening.
I just finished cleaning it up and the bores are like new and the whole gun is factory tight. I do remember it had a kick. It would beat me up way worse than the 7mm mag I had.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:07 pm 

I have an Eastern Arms 101.7 5100. It's a 12 gauge sold through the Sears catalog in the mid-1930s. My gun and yours are indeed early Stevens 311's that were branded for sale through various department stores. The "case-hardening" was a chemical treatment that came off with powder solvent, so most of these guns don't have much, if any, color left.

Mine, like yours, shoots great. I've chopped the barrels to 18.5" and it makes a great coach gun for CAS. I'm quite sure it'll serve any purpose you desire in the field, though I have no idea about using it as a slug gun.

Here's a parts diagram, just in case you need it: http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem. ... =089Zz5100

Good luck and enjoy your gun!

"The gun control crowd is far more interested in control than they are in guns. They just know that guns threaten their control, which is why they want to ban them." - Me!

Last edited by Elfego El Gato on Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:21 pm 
Blackhawk

Elfego
That's my girl! That is awesome and thank you. They even list the sights! Mine has two and they were plastic coated but the plastic is pretty much gone. I might make some use of your good detective work.
What got me started again after all these years was I was trolling the sporting goods at Wallieworld and they had a few boxes of #6 16ga. on the shelf. I grabbed a box and then I found them at Midway so I snagged a box of #4. I'm a total nave when it comes to the ways of shotguns. I'm kind of interested in learning how to properly aim the dang thing. Who knows, I might have some wild turkey next Thanks Giving. Lord knows there are a bunch of them around here if you know were to look.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:02 pm 
I have a Ranger 101-6 (stamped on left side of reciever) double barrel in .410 guage. It has 5100 stampd on the right side of the reciever and remains with about 98% of the original blueing on the barrels. The reciever on this piece showes very clear case hardening and is stamped with JS under the forearm under the barrels. Right barrel is stamped Selected forged Steel and Left barrel is stamped PROOF TESTED -.410 BORE |-3 inch Chamber-|. This gun was a part of my dad's collection and has not been fired in the last 50 years and the bores still show as new. Don't think I'll be using it as a slug gun.... LOL. Got it out of the back corner its been occupying to dispatch a beaver that has decided to build a lodge under my dock and is mowing down the magnolias and azaleas along the lake side in front of my place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:18 pm 
Hawkeye

You could probably fire slugs (if you can find them), but the results would be very disappointing. Doubles don't make good slug guns, as the two barrels are not regulated to put slugs to the same place. Stick with buckshot for use on "varmints".