RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 257 Bob choices
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:11 pm 
Bearcat

I'm not much of a bolt-action devotee, other than my stainless 77/44 which I will never part with. I live on the wet side of Washington State and most of my rifles are quick handling carbines. I have a couple of nice, older Marlin 336s in 30-30 and 35 Remington, as well as a stainless #1 in 45-70. Other than the occasional coyote, I don't think I've ever shot at anything more than 150 yards away, and most of my shooting is probably sub-75 yards or so.

All that being said, I've got a hankering for a bolt-action rifle in 257 Roberts in case I ever get a chance for some open country hunting. I've been eyeballing the new Hawkeye as well as the new Kimber Montana. The Kimber is a beauty and almost looks too pretty to take hunting, while the Hawkeye looks like the working-class rifles I'm more used to and I can pick it up for far less coin. I just wish Ruger would build it on their short action.

Of course, I could pick up an older short-action Ruger 77 and have it rebarrelled. At the end of they day, I just want a dependable bolt-action rifle in 257 Roberts that will push a 100gr pill between 2900 and 3100 fps. I'm kind of on the fence here. What do you guys think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:58 pm 
Single-Sixer

Olywa,
What you might be looking for is the Ruger MKII RL. It is there ultra-light model and they chamber it in 257 Roberts. It is a carbine, much like your other rifles, but don't believe they can't shoot the distance you are looking for. They have 20" barrels and weigh 6 1/2 lbs. I have hunted with one in the 270 cal. for many years and have taken shots from 50 yards to 250 yards with success. It's one of my favorite hunting rigs, seems to be my go to gun. I have found that most of the gun shops that stock the ultra-lights have them in the popular 308, 270, or 30-06 chamberings. Check them out, see how they feel, if you like it order one up in the 257 Roberts caliber, you will not regret it. Good luck

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:25 pm 
Hunter

Are you sure you can "do" a .257 Roberts on a short action? The M-77 .257s are on the long action. You might make a .257 work on a short action but I think you'd have to seat the bullets so deep it would be detrimental to accuracy and powder space. Short action cartridges are usually around 51mm case length (.308 Win.), while the .257 is based on the 57mm case length of the 7x57 Mauser.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:13 pm 
Bearcat

Thanks for the responses. COL on a 100gr in 257 runs 2.770" to 2.780". My manuals show the 260 Rem and 7/08 at 2.80". I think I'll be okay with 100gr bullets, but 120gr might be a compromise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:59 am 
Bearcat

I have one of the Hawkeyes in 257 Roberts and it is a very nice rifle and will suit your needs well. As to fitting it in to a short action well get this. The Hawkeye is on a standard/long action. But the throat is cut so short that when I sit a 100 gn Hornady 30 thou off the lands the cannalure on the bullet is almost pushed all the way into the neck of the case. So the extra space in the long magazine is wasted as the short throat prevents me from seating the bullet out. I then slipped a couple of 257 Roberts cartridges into the magazine of my 308 Ultralight and they fit just fine. Conclusion - the 257 Roberts would be just fine in a short action rifle if the rifle has a corresponding short throat.

So originally the 257 Bob was hindered by chambering it in short actions with long throats and now Ruger are chambering it in long actions with short throats. Terrific.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:52 am 
Bearcat

Sounds like Ruger all the way. The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to go with the Kimber. It's light, trim, and built on a short action. Barsness recently did a write up on it that makes it look pretty darn attractive. The extra cost starts to look a little more reasonable when I think about going custom.

Post subject: Re: 257 Bob choices
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:09 pm 
Blackhawk

olywa wrote:
Of course, I could pick up an older short-action Ruger 77 and have it rebarrelled. At the end of they day, I just want a dependable bolt-action rifle in 257 Roberts that will push a 100gr pill between 2900 and 3100 fps. I'm kind of on the fence here. What do you guys think?

A good friend of mine had an "Older short-action Ruger 77" in 250 Savage.
It dropped a couple CA. Blacktail and a MT. Pronghorn with ease.
It's an excellent round for it's class and can be found on occasion at GB.
No re-barreling necessary.
Although I know what it's like when you have your heart set on something.

Heres a link to a tang safety M-77 RSI at GB. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =108984550

Good luck, Ray

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:54 am 
Bearcat

Don't get me wrong. I love my Hawkeye .257 Roberts. The stock is one of the nicest factory stocks I've seen on factory rifles. If I can't seat the bullets out a couple more thou then so what? It's only 50 - 100 fps I'm losing. I can live with that.

Interesting article by John Barsness in the latest Rifle magazine. He was saying how when Remington chambered the .257 in the Remington classic back in the 80's they had to build it on a long action as folks wouldn't buy it if built on a short action. Maybe that's what Ruger thought too. But surely one of the engineers would have thought to cut a slightly longer throat if building the .257 on a long action. I can always get my LGS to lengthen the throat but for the few fps gained why bother. And besides, the damn thing shoots so nice as it is so I'll leave it alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:54 am 
Bearcat

Don't get me wrong. I love my Hawkeye .257 Roberts. The stock is one of the nicest factory stocks I've seen on factory rifles. If I can't seat the bullets out a couple more thou then so what? It's only 50 - 100 fps I'm losing. I can live with that.

Interesting article by John Barsness in the latest Rifle magazine. He was saying how when Remington chambered the .257 in the Remington classic back in the 80's they had to build it on a long action as folks wouldn't buy it if built on a short action. Maybe that's what Ruger thought too. But surely one of the engineers would have thought to cut a slightly longer throat if building the .257 on a long action. I can always get my LGS to lengthen the throat but for the few fps gained why bother. And besides, the damn thing shoots so nice as it is so I'll leave it alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:39 am 
Single-Sixer

olywa, I've got a Mauser action 257 Roberts Ackley Improved w/ 26" Shilen barrel I'd sell if you're interested.
B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:05 pm 
Bearcat

Thanks for the offers guys. I got impulsive and ordered a Hawkeye. My last full-size 77 was a 6mm w/the tang safety. I'll be interested to see how they compare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:49 pm 
Hunter

If I were itchin' for a 257 Roberts I would look closely at the Kimber.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:18 pm 
Buckeye

While it is not a Ruger (will I be tarred and feathered for mentioning a non-Ruger gun here?), I have heard good things about the new Kimber 84 in .257 Roberts. At least one writer has said that it is the first rifle to do right by the venearable cartridge with respect to length of magazine, chamber throat, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:15 pm 
Bearcat

There is at least one 257 on a short action - the Remington 722.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:18 pm 
Hunter

I probably own as many rifles in 257 Roberts as just about anybody. Not counting the 5 or 6 #1s in 257 Roberts I proably have 35- 40 bolt, autos and pumps in everythging the 257 Has ever been commercially chambered for.

The are "issues" with a short action 257 Roberts. While it will work, the SAAMI spec for OAL for the 257 Roberts is 2.75. That will work in a short action. However by the time you push long bullets back in to fit the action length you get nothing you can't get with a 250 Savage in 100 grain bullets.

You can't get 3000 fps with a standard BOB in a short action with any of the heavier bullets.

The reason Ruger went with the long action is that most guys load them out to increase case capacity and that means a long action.

In all honesty, if the difference in weight or cycling speed or whatever makes a difference between a short action or the long action, you are being very very picky. What do you actually gain??? Frankly I've never seen the "advantage" to the short action in a bolt gun and I've owned a few.

There are at least 12 Ruger bolt guns in 257 Roberts in the family. We send them all to the smith and have them throated to handle the 120 Nosler Partition at a OAL of 3.00 inches and .0030 off the lands. Among us we've killed a Hell of a lot of deer and antelope with this rifle/load.

The Winchester Model 70 is on a short short action in 257 Roberts. If you can find one of the Feather Weights it's a damn pretty rifle. There is only one small problem with the model 70s, short magazine and a long throat.
In order to function through the action you end up with nearly 3/8" of free bore before the bullet engages the lands. They aren't all that accurate but certainly kill deer. This is a problem that I've run into with a LOT if bolt guns in 257 Roberts regardless of manufacturer, short magazzine length, long throat, less than stellar accuracy. My Micro Medallion Browning A-Bolt won't even hold all bullets loaded to 2.75. It depends on the ogive if they'll load. That's another of the issues.

By going to a long action it elliminates all the potental problems.

The Sako Forester was chambered in a few 257 Roberts rifle on a short action in the early 50s. THe Bob has been chambered in the Remington pump action and the auto along with the BLR from Browning and the Finwolf from Sako. Remington 788 and Model 54 and Dakota and Cooper and.............................nearly everybody makes or made one. Really boils down to how much you want to spend.

Heck I have a pre 64 Model 70 Winchester Featherweight in 257 Roberts I can let you have for $4000 or so.

I'd just buy the current production Ruger and not worry about the short/long action stuff, personally.

Yes, I also own rifles in 250-300O Savage including short action Ruger 77s, 257 Ackley Improveds and 25-06s. Then I also own 25-284s and.............. a lot of .257 caliber rifles.

R W Thomas
Owyhee County, ID