Second Amendment States

Help Support Ruger Forum:

caryc

Hawkeye
I'm just wondering for those of you who live in states with Constitutional Carry and no permit needed, Can you walk into any gun store and buy a gun and walk out with it? I mean after they run the background check on you.

hittman

Staff member
No. 72 hour wait.

We're not constitutional carry ….. by permit only.

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
Arizona is the same.
Fill out a 4473 and pass the background check. Pay for the gun and leave.
If you have a concealed carry permit you just fill out the 4473 and pay for the gun and leave. No background check.

nekvermont

Buckeye
In VT, yes. I can also go over the river to NH ( no sales tax) , buy a long gun, have background check and go back home to Vt. with it. If I buy a handgun at my favorite place in NH the NH dealer has to run the handgun across the river into VT (5 min drive) to a FFL where I do the background check, Pay a $10 transfer fee and go home with my handgun.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Tennessee allows gun sales per the background check method, which takes about five to fifteen minutes. Clearing the background check, yes, walk in, pays your money, and walk out. And, effective July 1st, permitless carry.

The local officials in Memphis are howling over this recent law change.

Bob Wright

Mike J

Hunter
Busterswoodshop said:
Arizona is the same.
Fill out a 4473 and pass the background check. Pay for the gun and leave.
If you have a concealed carry permit you just fill out the 4473 and pay for the gun and leave. No background check.

It is the same in Georgia.

We're now "no permit required". It has "always" been that if you passed the NCIS check you could walk out with the gun, but if you had a permit you didn't even require the check.

Kentucky will still issue a permit if you want one for use in states with reciprocal agreements.

red ryder

Single-Sixer
Wyoming, no carry permit needed, open carry legal (I don't). If you have a concealed carry permit you just fill out the 4473 and pay for the gun and leave. No background check.

SamV

Buckeye
Mobuck said:
It's always been that way in MO, CCW or not.

Well, not exactly. I recall having to go to the city sheriffs office to fill out a request to purchase a handgun. They asked you to return to pick it up a week later. Basically a background check and waiting period rolled into one. Once you picked up the form, you could go to your local store and buy whatever you wanted and walk out. Well, after they did another background check with the federal form. This was in Saint Louis city and I believe Saint Louis county. I know that I purchased at least two or three handguns that way before they dropped that system. I don't recall that ever being the case with long guns.

Well, in S.C. I can walk into a gun store and buy one and walk out... with no background check.... how about that? but we aren't one of your constitutional carry states.

The really interesting part of this is I can't pass the background check... at least the FBI denied me on a NFA tax application back in 2011... twice with no explanation.

LDM

Blackhawk
In MI you can walk in, fill out the paperwork, get NICS approval and walk out with your new gun. Only because the Republicans still hold a majority in the state legislature and stifle the anti-gun leftist politicians.

gunzo

Hunter
A permit to carry concealed is no longer needed to carry in Ky. but I'm keeping my permit for a couple reasons.

One being is that I don't even require a National background check when I buy a gun. Just show my permit. That speeds up the process even more & reduces the chances of getting delayed due to some glitch on their part.

Reading this thread reminds of how different it is here in this very Blue state of Illinois. You can walk into a gun shop and buy a gun, but there is no way you are walking out with that gun. And first you must show a State issued "Firearm Owners I.D." card to even look at a firearm, buy ammunition, etc. You fill out the 4473 and you might have the background check done right away, but it doesn't matter, there is a 72 hour waiting period for a handgun. And they mean 72 hours, and not a minute less.

Illinois is also so inept, or deliberately difficult, that even that first step in owning a gun, the FOID card, is a hassle. My card expired in June of 2020 and I sent my renewal form in March of 2020. The state extended the expiration of my card, and all others similarly affected, due to Covid19 and did so indefinitely. So the card in my wallet appears to be expired but IL says it is still valid as I continue to wait for my new card. I have no idea of what the reaction would be in another state if I had to show the card. And speaking of the FOID card, IL law requires the private seller of a firearm to verify that the buyer has a valid FOID card as well before selling them the gun. You have to go to the State Police website to verify the buyer's FOID. I'm sure that if they thought they could pass a law outlawing totally the private sale of guns the Democrats would do so.

All that said, on a day to day basis living in IL is not so bad from a gun point of view. I carry, legally with my concealed carry permit, every day and every time I leave my home. Despite the 23 type places where carrying is illegal, most of the time I am well within the law while carrying a concealed handgun everywhere I go. I would like to see open carry legalized, and of course, Constitutional carry, but I can't imagine either of these things becoming legal in IL unless forced to by a Supreme Court decision.

Maryland is on the other end of the spectrum. To purchase a handgun it first must be on the "approved" list. Then I have to contact the State Police and fill out a questionnaire. I am give a PIN. Then I go to the FFL and fill out and submit the 4473 along with the PIN. Then there is a seven day waiting period. If approved I receive an email notification from the State Police that I have been approved and can now pick up my purchase. In this State only one handgun can be purchased in a 30 day period unless you are a registered 'collector'.
A carry permit is practically impossible for the average individual to obtain.

jack black

Buckeye
blume357 said:
Well, in S.C. I can walk into a gun store and buy one and walk out... with no background check.... how about that? but we aren't one of your constitutional carry states.

The really interesting part of this is I can't pass the background check... at least the FBI denied me on a NFA tax application back in 2011... twice with no explanation.

I would think that you would be considered non eligible you may be committing a felony every time you purchase a firearm As a side a FFL MUST do a background check each time you purchase a firearm unless you are special? :wink:

If you can not pass the background check?? I thought a FFL MUST do a background check.

Latest posts