The 44 Auto Mag is back in production

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hpman66

Hunter
IMHO, at $4,295.00, I don't think that they will be flying off of the shelves.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LhtQJODhVXs
The NEW 44 Auto Mag - Return of the King!
GunsAmerica
Published on May 16, 2021

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
'Icon status' really. How about the Desert Eagle? Magnum Research Desert Eagle Mark XIX Brushed Chrome Pistol 44 Magnum 8 R ...
Price: $1,820.00

LDM

Blackhawk
Aesthetically, the Auto-Mag has it all over the Desert Eagle. Big chunk of stainless glittering in the sunlight. As for functionality, we'll have to wait for the jury to decide.

gunzo

Hunter
Two companies went broke trying to sell those. Even one being used in a Dirty Harry movie didn't help sales much.

This new company sure is rolling the dice IMO, but maybe third time's charm.

Snake45

Patriot, Mentor, Friend ~ RIP
LDM said:
Aesthetically, the Auto-Mag has it all over the Desert Eagle.
Amen, brother. It is a BEAUTIFUL gun.

I had a chance to hold one when I was in college. I knew immediately that the grip was much too big for my hand and I'd never be able to shoot it well or enjoyably--very sad.

Some years ago I managed to acquire a Japanese-made 1:1 scale replica with working bolt, trigger, magazine, etc. It's pretty cool, and satisfied my urge to own an Auto Mag. For real shooting, I'll have to get by with my 1911s and Smith 29. :wink:

RSIno1

Hunter
In the 80s a guy offered to trade me his AutoMag for my National Match M1. I had just gotten the M1 and declined. I've regretted the decision for the last 30 years.

Snake45

RSIno1 said:
In the 80s a guy offered to trade me his AutoMag for my National Match M1. I had just gotten the M1 and declined. I've regretted the decision for the last 30 years.
I might have made that deal before I handled one. Afterward, no way; as I said, I'd never be able to shoot it.

I can't believe no one has ever made a .22 auto with a "top end" that looks exactly like the beautiful Auto Mag. I'd think the Browning would be a natural, but the Ruger .22/45 would also work well. Somebody, please make this!

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
gunzo said:
Two companies went broke trying to sell those. Even one being used in a Dirty Harry movie didn't help sales much.

Hi,

One of our customers at the range was a fellow from AMT (the original company, Arcadia Machine and Tool?) He talked about "redesigning" the movie gun to function with blanks being harder than starting with a blank piece of paper and building the first working model!

Rick C

Seems the latest firearms trend is to reintroduce a once popular model. Then charge 5 to 10 times what it is actually worth. The sad thing is there are enough idiots out their that will pay.

At over $4000 the Automag redo is way over priced. If the maker cut the price in half he'd likely sell sufficient more to actually make more money on the whole deal.

At even $1,000 they might sell more because of a wider market. A lot of people just are t into a.44 mag in a semi auto configuration. Then we have the ammo problem!
gramps

toysoldier

Hunter
gunzo said:

Having been an "underling" all my working life, I have developed some opinions about management. One of them is:
There is no wooden stake to drive through the heart of a bad idea to keep it from coming around again.

Snake45

arfmel said:
Doesn't the 44 Auto Mag use a proprietary cartridge and not the .44 Remington Magnum revolver cartridge we all know?
Yes, but it can be made out of .308-size rifle brass.

RSIno1

Hunter
arfmel said:
Doesn't the 44 Auto Mag use a proprietary cartridge and not the .44 Remington Magnum revolver cartridge we all know?
Yes make it out of 30-06 or 308. Involved process if I remember you needed to cut and trim to length and then bore the inside of the case to accept the bullet. The thin edge wouldn't last for many reloads.

RPM Enterprises

Buckeye
Snake45 said:
RSIno1 said:
I might have made that deal before I handled one. Afterward, no way; as I said, I'd never be able to shoot it.

I can't believe no one has ever made a .22 auto with a "top end" that looks exactly like the beautiful Auto Mag. I'd think the Browning would be a natural, but the Ruger .22/45 would also work well. Somebody, please make this!
They did make a 22. Its called baby automag with about 1000 produced.

RPM Enterprises

Buckeye
So the new Automag company has been around for at least 4 years now maybe 5. The CEO of the company Patrick Henry III has been trying to breathe new life into the Automag. The first group of guns referred to as Founders Eddions with about 75 produced. The next group is referred to as Classic Editions have only had a few released. I personally ordered and paid for a CE Edition 3 years ago and have not seen it yet. My last contact was end of January early February saying my gun should be shipped in March, well March has come and gone. Delays have been from R&D issues, lawsuit, moving to new location and bad parts being produced along with several other reasons. Larry Grossman one of the original Automag employees helped Kickstart the new company left a couple years ago. Since then it seems they have struggled. I still hold faith one day mine will arrive.

Cholo

Staff member
In '76 I was in a small gun shop in Cleveland, TN that was going out of business. I bought a Rem. 581 that I still have. He asked me if I wanted a 357 Auto Mag for $175--I passed.

He couldn't sell it and I had no interest. I don't see a market now and predict they will go under, though I hope not.

I think it might have stood a chance if they could have made it work with the 44 Mag. cartridge.

Snake45

RPM Enterprises said:
Snake45 said:
They did make a 22. Its called baby automag with about 1000 produced.
I had to look it up. Not sure if I knew about it at the time or not, I don't remember. That's very much along the lines of what I have in mind, but they did it with a 8.5" barrel and it would have looked a lot better with 6" or 6.5". And it would also look (and handle) much better on the .22/45 grip frame. If they'd build that today, I'd buy one in a minute.

Latest posts