1917: The Movie

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Went to see this Oscar nominated film yesterday and found it well worth the time and money. Supposedly based upon a true story, it shows some of the real horror of WWI for those involved. I had read that the entire movie feels like one continuous camera shot, even though it is not, so I was actually watching initially to pick up on the ending of one shot and the beginning of another but I was not able to do so. Before long I was totally caught up in the story. The sense of realism was truly amazing. Treat yourself to a good experience and go see this film on the big screen.

Thumbcocker

Blackhawk
I saw it. Visually stunning and good gun handling (except one officer with his finger on the trigger of his Webly in the trench full of guys about to go over). I found several elements of the story line really hard to believe. Like battle hardened Tommies on a mission where time is crucial pulling a German pilot out of a burning plane and trying to give first aid. All in all well worth the price of admission but not a great movie.

Sturgis270

Single-Sixer
I saw the movie a few weeks ago and also really enjoyed it. The only thing I caught that was off was when the two soldiers came out of a very muddy battle field, rifles caked in mud and suddenly one is carrying a very clean looking Enfield. Definitely a movie worth seeing.

bayou5252

Single-Sixer
I saw the movie about a month ago. I had the same impression expressed above. In one of the first trench scenes, soldiers were carrying Enfields that looked brand new off the rack with leather straps having no stains.

All in all, great WW I choreography and worth seeing...

Bayou52

WestTex

Single-Sixer
Easily the best picture I saw last year.

Good story but it was visually stunning, even though you know the horror of war will be present. It still is surprising to the senses in a way "Saving Private Ryan" was not.

The scene in the village, where a soldier ( who we did not know his identity) comes running across the plaza, surrounded by smoke and haze, towards the main character was fascinating. As if you were trying to escape from the devil himself. A combatant with a rifle with those WWI loooong bayonets coming after you was horrifying.

Latest posts