How to fish

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ok... don't laugh, but I went fishing when I was probably 5 years old, in other words a while ago. My daughter has been talking about going fishing for a long time. So last weekend we went to Cabelas and bought fishing poles and a license... We bought the cheap combo package. It's a rod, reel, and a small box with some stuff in it.

I've seen "A River Runs Through It" and the other Brad Pitt movie, so I understand the mechanics of fishing, like how the hook is attached to the line with a sinker and a bobber.

But what happens when we catch a fish? We were talking about catch and release. So I was going to get some barbless hooks. I imagine the fish aren't too happy about getting caught. How do you get the hook out to toss them back?

We are going to Colorado this summer for vacation. Just a week. I know I have to get a non resident license... But there, if I want to catch a trout for dinner. How do you dispatch the fish? Do you hit it on the head before cutting it open? I told you now to laugh. That is the part I can't understand. Do you kill the fish and then put it in water while fishing for more? Or keep it alive, and then kill it just before dinner time?

Or skip the fishing all together and go to Red Lobester? :D

No, seriously, I might like fishing once I get started, all the gear at the store... it could get as expensive as shooting.

All replies appreciated...

NikA

Buckeye
Don't bother paying extra for barbless hooks: you need a pair of needlenose pliers to go fishing (in case the fish swallows the hook), you can use those to push down the barbs on regular hooks.

Typically, the hooks will come out pretty easily if you hold the fish near the mouth and use the hook shank to lever them out the way they went in.

As far as cleaning, I have only stunned the stubborn ones. You can also leave them out on the bank for a while and let them pass out before you clean them. Generally, you want to put them in a bucket with water (livewell, or those baskets fly fishermen wear) and clean them immediately before you cook/store them.

If you're planning on fly fishing, be aware it can be pretty frustrating to develop technique. Better to start with a bobber and worms.

Jussbad: thanks :D . I know... I do feel pretty silly asking. Believe me. I wouldn't take up fishing except for my daughter asking. But golf??? Forget it.

And thanks NikA. I figured I would need some more tools besides what was in the fishing kit. Fly fishing has always fascinated me. I spent a couple summers up in Stanley, Idaho. People up there fly fishing was pretty common.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Kevin said:
Ok... don't laugh, but I went fishing when I was probably 5 years old, in other words a while ago. My daughter has been talking about going fishing for a long time. So last weekend we went to Cabelas and bought fishing poles and a license... We bought the cheap combo package. It's a rod, reel, and a small box with some stuff in it.

I've seen "A River Runs Through It" and the other Brad Pitt movie, so I understand the mechanics of fishing, like how the hook is attached to the line with a sinker and a bobber.

But what happens when we catch a fish? We were talking about catch and release. So I was going to get some barbless hooks. I imagine the fish aren't too happy about getting caught. How do you get the hook out to toss them back?

We are going to Colorado this summer for vacation. Just a week. I know I have to get a non resident license... But there, if I want to catch a trout for dinner. How do you dispatch the fish? Do you hit it on the head before cutting it open? I told you now to laugh. That is the part I can't understand. Do you kill the fish and then put it in water while fishing for more? Or keep it alive, and then kill it just before dinner time?

Or skip the fishing all together and go to Red Lobester? :D

No, seriously, I might like fishing once I get started, all the gear at the store... it could get as expensive as shooting.

All replies appreciated...

First thing is to find a decent trout stream/lake that isn't all fished out. 2nd thing is to take a large caliber handgun with you if you plan on getting out in the woods away from other people - bear country - and they like fish to. Especially if someone else catches them for them.

3rd thing is to talk to the guy at the bait shop about baits, and other details and don't be shy about telling him this is your first outing and neither you nor your daughter know squat about fishing. Remember there is a difference between fishing and catching, as you'll no doubt learn. Be aware that some lakes, etc. are only catch and release - ask about that, also minimum sizes (usually have to be bigger than 12" long to keep for supper).

Once you've found a spot - look around the shore for where water drains into the lake/stream and cast out from there a good 20 yds or so, and if fishing a stream cast upstream and let the line drift downstream past you, then reel in and do it again. You're trying to put your bait/lure where the fish usually find their bugs. Be prepared for snags under the surface.

Trout are line size sensitive. Use the smallest line you can for leader - usually 2# and no more that 4# for the main line for avg size trout. Don't get in a hurry to reel in a fish, set your reel to slightly under the leader strength, and play him for a few minutes to tire him out, watch him jump. Most newbies want to haul in as fast as they can - big mistake.

Cleaning is easy. Use a fillet knife, stick the point up the fishes butthole a little bit and cut the skin all the way up to the head. Pull out everything inside and wash it out good in the stream/lake.Takes about 10 sec. Don't need to cut the head off. In fact, there's a couple very tasty morsels in the upper part just behind the eyes on trout. You can feel the soft spots where they are. Don't skin or scale him. You can do that after they're cooked.

Cooking - lot's of ways, but I like to just spit 'em and roast over campfire coals for 5 minutes or so, and eat 'em right off the spit.

jussbad said:
Kevin
I'm afraid you will have to wait for everyone to get off the floor before you get your answer. :D

I'm to speechless to even try and answer this post.
Just what did you do as a Kid???? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Grand-kids ready to go Trout Fishing in CO.

First Trout.

We caught a few

A pretty good one.

Catching Dinner

My Fishing hole

Thanks GunnyGene:
Those all sound like good ideas. I don't want to take my daughter out and have her be bored right away. I also do know about fish cheeks. Salmon cheeks are really good. I've cooked a lot of fish. I know you can use the head for a "handle" to help cook the fish. Trout on a fire is awesome! I've had it, but just didn't go fishing to catch them.

Jim:
I don't know why I never got into fishing as a kid. I never played sports either, but that's a whole 'mother story....

I did buy the all inclusive fresh water and salt water fishing license for Texas...

OK Kevin,
To be serious here. Take your Daughter to the Pond that charges by the inch/pound. They are stocked with a bunch of hungry Trout.
That is where I took my Granddaughter for her FIRST Trout so she would not get bored waiting for a catch.
THEN WE went to other lakes where it took a little more skill and she loved it.
The picture of Granddaughter's first Trout is a Pay Pond in South Fork CO..

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Kevin said:
Thanks GunnyGene:
Those all sound like good ideas. I don't want to take my daughter out and have her be bored right away. I also do know about fish cheeks. Salmon cheeks are really good. I've cooked a lot of fish. I know you can use the head for a "handle" to help cook the fish. Trout on a fire is awesome! I've had it, but just didn't go fishing to catch them.

I used to do a lot of trout & steelhead in the Olympics and Cascades in WA when I lived up there, and salmon fishing out in the Sound. Took my father in law up to one of my favorite remote lakes for 4 days, once before he passed away. It was his first (and last) trip up into the mountains and first trout fishing experience. I never liked to pack a lot of food on those trips and never canned stuff, just eat what I catch or find mostly.

That's one of the things I miss, being in MS for the last 18 years. Bass is way too expensive, and don't much care for crappie.

wolfee

Blackhawk
+1 to gunnygene's comments except for the leader sizes. I suspect you will be bait fishing (salmon eggs or worms) and 50 years of working everything from the South Platte to the Gunnison has pretty much assured me that trout aren't too suspicious of a fishing line if they can smell a juicy worm on the end of it. A heavier line (no leader needed) will spare you lots of lost fish, and more often, broken lines just undoing "snags".

As far as dispatching the critter I usually cut their head off as soon as they land on the bank. This will often mean cutting thru a swallowed line, but so what? A fresh hook costs about a dime.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
wolfee said:
+1 to gunnygene's comments except for the leader sizes. I suspect you will be bait fishing (salmon eggs or worms) and 50 years of working everything from the South Platte to the Gunnison has pretty much assured me that trout aren't too suspicious of a fishing line if they can smell a juicy worm on the end of it. A heavier line (no leader needed) will spare you lots of lost fish, and more often, broken lines just undoing "snags".

As far as dispatching the critter I usually cut their head off as soon as they land on the bank. This will often mean cutting thru a swallowed line, but so what? A fresh hook costs about a dime.

:D I reckon WA fish are bit more skittish than CO fish. :wink:

tunnug

Single-Sixer
I'll let you in to my fishing technique, you don't need any hooks, just tie a weight at the end of the line and cast out, pop open your favorite libation and sit and relax, reel in and cast as needed.
Best part is you don't have to mess with any stinky fish when you're done.
For your kids, put a hook with a worm on it and let them drown it, if they happen to catch any use your needle nose pliers to get the hook out, tell them it's too small and toss it back, on the way home stop at the market and buy some packaged fish.

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok,,, I was fishing about the same time as I was beginning to walk. It is not hard. AND,,, I have fished in Texas too.
It can be as simple as hooks, line & bait. Add in a fishing rod & it gets easier.
Learn how the reel works by casting a sinker tied to the end of the line. Don't worry about distance at first,,, just how to make it all work.
Find a pond, small lake etc where there is a public dock.
Get some small hooks, size 8, and some small worms. Tie on a hook, thread on a worm, making sure the last time you pierce the worm body you cover the tip of the hook. Simply drop the worm & loose line in the shady side of the dock, and let it slowly drift with the water. You can add a bobber if you don't want it going more than 4-6 ft. deep. I actually recommend a bobber too. let it "set." when the bobber starts going under & obviously isn't bouncing around with the breeze,,, tighten up the loose line, then suddenly pull sharply upwards to set the hook.
You will most likely have a panfish. Good eating, good fighters, plentiful, and fun to catch.
There is your beginning.
Trout fishing is usually stream fishing, cooler water, and a bit trickier. NOT BAD,,, just a bit different.
Clean the fish as mentioned above. (With panfish, you will want to scrap off the scales,, a spoon does a quick easy job of that.)
I keep my fish alive as long as possible, OR I keep them on ice to stay fresh. To kill them, a simple whack in between the eyes with a blunt object,, (I use the handle of my knife, while the sheath is still protecting the blade.)

Oh, and to clarify how easy it is,,, I was about 2 yrs old, wearing a life jacket, sitting on a dock, 4-5 ft of line, #8 hooks, a slice or two of white bread. Pinch a small piece of bread & squeeze it on the hook. Wrap the other end of the line around my hand, drop the breaded hook in the shade of the dock, and when the line took off, I'd yank it & set the hook, bringing in panfish. I did that for a few years before I ever even got a pole.

Don Lovel

Hunter
Colorado trout handling and some of the rules 101
you will need
a gallon ziplock bag with about a tablespoon of kosher salt in it
some bottled water
a sharp small filet knife
a pair of needlenose pliars or hemostats to remove a hook with
having a fish net to help land them is a good idea
When you get the fish, especially stocker rainbows to eat, I remove hook, split them from their vent to the base of gills, cut head loose and pull guts out with head, run your thumb or edge of knife blade down inside to remove red vein
place fish in ziplock bag, add water and store in ice chest. The brine keeps them better for eating and smoking.
We usually try to get ours in the smoker as quick as we get home or plan on frying them up for dinner
I think a great way to have them is to stuff some rice, diced onion buter and spices in their body cavity, wrap in foil and cook on coals or grill
Try not to overcook them
In Colorado, pay attention in the fishing reg book to EXACTLY what portion of what stream or lake you are fishing on and that water's particular rules
We have length limits, catch & release and such depending on what stretch of any given river you are fishing
An under or oversize trout in posession is not worth the ticket
Due to Whirling disease concern, there was a mandatory catch and release on rainbows in rivers, but some browns, brook trout can be kept usually 4 fish limit, once again carry the regs with you and read them, Colorado tickets for the wrong fish in posession is steep. I generally catch more trout on small silver roostertails or little rapalas than anything including power bait, but some lakes power bait is the only thing they will hit. Pinch down the barbs on your lures, sure makes it easier to catch & release and get them unhooked
If it is a private lake or stocker situation then no problem, if on state ground, usually a 4 fish rule
In the Sangre De Cristo mountains some streams have their own stream dna cutthroats, tiger & brooktrout crossbreeds that are really pretty markings
The Arkansas River above Salida and the Rio Grande River above Del Norte are really great trout fishing, personal best was a 22" Brown last summer caught on a small countdown rapala in the Rio Grande
Arkansas River above Salida has really beautiful trophy Browns and cutthroat in it
Fishing Blue Mesa lake is fun when you get into the Kokanee Salmon and rainbows, good eating, big lake trout in many lakes out there as well

opos

Buckeye
Been fishing since I was a small child...old muddy water slow rivers in Nebraska for cat fish...never forget the wonderful aroma of month old chicken guts from and old jar we stored in the trunk of the car..fishing has been a big part of our families life for decdades...my oldest son is managing partner of Fisherman's Landing in San Diego...perhaps one of the largest and premier ocean fishing locations on the West Coast.

I grew up in Colorado and got a couple of suggestions for the first or very early fishing experience....kids bore easilly when fishing..Wyandott Jim is right when he mentions the "pay to play" ponds all over Colorado..so much an inch or so much a pound...they clean them for you and the only down side is it's fairly quick and you have to watch the kids don't catch too many for your wallet....don't need a license (as I recall) and the experience for them is terrific...I would definitely stay away from rivers and streams unless you really want to get invovled with tackle and technique..and many are quality waters with heavy restrictions...Talk to the locals at the tackle store.

If you get up high to Grand Lake, Colorado there is a connecting lake called Shadow mountain reservoir.....used to run a resort called Lake Kove resort (gone now but decent fishing from the shore line.....also I think several places rent little fishing boats..Just have fun and if the kids like it you never know you might have a son that has made a lifetime of fishing and is fully involved in the business in a very big way.

First time fishing, Keep It Simple! Night crawlers a rod and a line. Do not fall into the trap of fancy gear like Orvis and such there will be plenty of time for that. Talk to folks you know get advice on where to go. A nitecrawler and a hook will catch fish! You Must Walk before you run. Keep it simple and enjoy! Check regulations as some bodies of water are artificial bait only. A pond with a bunch of perch or bluegill will be a good starting point.

I have been a fisherman since I could walk my mother use to tell us on a rainy days fish bite, may be some truth to that, but I think she wanted to get us out of the house, lol. We were 5 boys in our household and we were a handful I'm sure. ps

My second wife had never been fishing. We were in the Smokies at our timeshare, and she decided she wanted to go fishing( first time). Off to the trout farm we went. Before I could pry the pole out of her hands, we owed a hundred bucks! Good eating though, and plenty for the freezer. :)
gramps