Mark IV target vs. hunter

Help Support Ruger Forum:

beacon1933

Bearcat
I have just enough in my budget to get either the Mark IV hunter or target. Would you recommend purchasing the hunter or the target?

Depends on what you intend to do with it. If it's to be your only all purpose 22 pistol then go for the target. If you're expecting to do some hunting and have other 22 pistols, then I would go for the hunter. I probably wouldn't want the hunter as my only 22.

s4s4u

Hunter
Aren't these 22 semi-auto pistols? Might get better response in the appropriate forum.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Personally I think those flutes in the hunter are hideous. I wouldn't own a gun that looked like that. The target model just looks all business ... no girly bling like the hunter model.

Considering that the only real differences are the front sight and those hideous flutes, buy the one that YOU like best. They'll both shoot exactly the same guaranteed.

I have a MKII stainless model identical to the target and a stainless 22/45 with the short tapered barrel.

For me ... I'd get the blue target and save myself roughly $160. I just may have to get one of them, even though both my MK's shoot identically, no matter the barrel configuration or color.

'Hunter' is just a made up name Ruger came up with ... you can damn well kill any squirrel with a 'target' model just as easily as with a 'hunter' model.

I've seen the blue target model (40101) everywhere online for just under $400 ... and even as low as $369 ... which is pretty much all I'd want to pay for a 22, but that's just me ... I like inexpensive guns that perform like their way more expensive models ... spend the rest on reloading gear or ammo or components. :D

REV

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
beacon1933 said:
I have just enough in my budget to get either the Mark IV hunter or target. Would you recommend purchasing the hunter or the target?

The Hunter version is pretty darn scarce right now. There are a multitude of the shorter barreled versions on "Gunbroker" in both the all stainless steel and then the black anodised aluminum grip frame, blued upper versions. Mark IV Hunter models seem to be sold out and not available right now. Same thing with the Mark III Hunter versions, sold like hot-cakes.

One thing to consider is that the Mark IV Hunter version does have a bit longer sight radius than the 5 ½ bull barrel pistols do, and the sights, both front and rear sight blade are indeed different. I really like my Ruger Mark III Hunter and have a Ruger Mark IV Hunter with 6-7/8 barrel variant, on order as soon as the distributor gets those popular pistols back into stock.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Good point on the bbl length DA.

Which DOES gives you a slightly longer sight radius, however, from my pov, the 5.5 inch gun is far better balanced than the 6 7/8 inch gun. I actually owned a blue 6 7/8 inch bull barrel first, which I traded in for the 5.5 stainless bull barrel. Much better balanced imo.

I'd suggest you handle both length barrels prior to buying. There's a big difference between the feel of those Guns.

Good luck.

REV

armabill said:
I don't like either one. I'm waiting for the stainless government model with the slab barrel.

The production of the stainless Government Target Model ended with the MKIIs although a few blue ones were made at the beginning of the MKIII series. Not sure why they dropped it but assumed that it was low demand. They bring good prices now.

The stainless Competition Target Model with the 6 7/8" slabside barrel continued through the MKIII series. It seems to still be very popular. I would expect it to show up in the MKIV series at some point, but with Ruger you never know.

cbnutt

Single-Sixer
I just swapped my new MKIV Hunter yesterday for a MKIV Target model stainless , I like the sights a lot better on the Target , and like said above , the Target balances a lot better in the hand, I wasn't happy with the Hunter .

I'm looking to get a Mark IV just for fun at the range. I had a Browning Buckmark, but over the years I had a fair number of problems with it and ended up selling it awhile ago, leaving me with only one 22, a S&W 617 revolver. The Mark IV's appeal to me is the ease of dissembly, and also that it is a Ruger (I'm certainly not an expert on guns, but I have had nothing but good experiences with my P97, sr40c, LCP and my daily carry gun, an LC9s). I'm still trying to figure out what advantage the Hunter model would give me over the less expensive target model.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
s4s4u said:
Aren't these 22 semi-auto pistols? Might get better response in the appropriate forum.

The other section is intended for center-fire pistols (This one is for rimfires, "long and short"). Took me a minute to understand your vector.

The 22/45 should work nicely, especially if we see a slab-sided barrel with attention to details. Lots of competition out there for your practical 22 Auto dollar!

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I always like the longer barrel on any range or plinking pistol. So the Mark IV Hunter is the one I ordered. I like the extra weight out front also. I actually would love to see an un-fluted hunter for me (that would be the one I would buy).
Any way they are already making a Slab Side Mark IV. It's a Davidson Special, but very pricey. If they are making them for Davidson's I would imagine they will be available at regular price for the dealers soon. Why only make a thousand gun run for Davidson's.