Ruger Hawkeye ... so what is it?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

weisse52

Bearcat
I was at my favorite gun shop and saw a Ruger rifle that at first I thought was a Hawkeye African till I picked it up and noticed it was chambered in 30-06. Blued steel with walnut stock. It does not have the threaded barrel, but it had the banded sight and sling attachment point. It had a single cross-bolt in the stock, express sights and the red recoil pad. The profile on the barrel is heavier than my previous MK II rifle. Last thing I noticed was it had Cabela's 2013(I think that was the year) engraved on the floor plate. I can find no record of a African in 30-06, but that is sure what it looks like.

The price was right so I put it on hold.

I called Ruger customer service and they informed me that it was a standard Hawkeye in 30-06 with sights.

When Photo bucket comes back up I will post a picture of a similar rifle I found online.

But anyone have an idea what Ruger made this in 30-06 for and how rare could it be?

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Cabela's had a few contracted for them for their birthday a few years back. Recall they had a #1 in .300 H&H as well. All had their name and date engraved on them.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Would be a great looking rifle if you replaced that
floorplate with a blued steel one. Speaking of bluing , is the rifle
blued or the matte finish?

weisse52

Bearcat
rugerjunkie said:
Would be a great looking rifle if you replaced that
floorplate with a blued steel one. Speaking of bluing , is the rifle
blued or the matte finish?

It is blued

chet15

Hawkeye
I would be curious to see some pictures of that one as well. Yes, Cabela's did some Cabela's commemorative guns 2011, but a M77 was not one of them. Cabela's did a fixed sight Vaquero style Single-Six, a 10/22 and a #1 Rifle.
Curious to know more about the model you saw there so we can get it documented in the "Reference of Ruger Firearms".
I know "guns is just guns" to most people, but its funny how people follow Colt and Winchester and some of these other companies with a fine tooth comb....yet there continue to be models that come from Ruger that aren't known until years after they are made. I think somebody needs to learn a lot about sales promotion at Ruger and their distributors.
Chet15