Carcano project

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JOHNNY WACKO

Blackhawk
got this 6.5 carcano calvery carbine and a 8mm carbine barrel action to make a 8mm carbine .the Germans took the Italian rifle and made them shoot there 8mm ammo.yOU CAN see the cut in the receiver for the longer bullet. should be a fun build.hard to see the 7.9 restamp on the 1 site block. same bolt.should swap over with no trouble.Have a bayonet on the way for it. It stays on the rifle like a sks dose.

I added the front site today,so its done.
I fired 1 round from the gun clamp from under the bench. It fired and nothing blew up and it ejected the spent case ok.The firing pin went through the primer like it was a bit long but it caused no issues.

Poco Oso

Buckeye
Excellent job. I took my first Colorado deer with a 6.5 Carcano I got at K Mart for $14.00. Fast handling little carbines. I wish now I had it back. I'll bet that 8mm will be fun.

Interesting project. The little bayonets for these are often hard-to-find (and pricey when genuine).

Main problem, as I understand it, is getting the converted rifle to feed 8x57. Is yours a repeater?

Mike Armstrong

JOHNNY WACKO

Blackhawk
I put 1 rd in battery and fired it.now i will have to do more testing.I got clips. i put it on the rack and went to a AR project i was doing and haven't went back to it.
I will get back with a answer on that. I am in the middle of trying to cut the carpet out of my gun room without moving all the gun racks and cases.Boy thats hell. Those carpet knives go dull fast and my knuckles are tore up from rubbing the racks.
why do i start another job with bunches of jobs not done?
i got this idea if you work a few hours a day at something you will 1 day be done or die trying. :D

mikewriter

Blackhawk
I had a 6.5 Carcano in high school, bought it from my biology teacher - my first centerfire rifle. Shot a hog or two with it before I sold it.

Mike

RICHP

Single-Sixer
Shot my first deer and first turkey with one of those. If I remember it was about 1968, just last week huh. My dad had bought it a few years earlier out of a barrel full of surpluss rifles at the local Higginbothams hardware store.

Latest posts