Ruger Changing Sears

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
The other day I had a brand new Ruger Mark III Target, out of the box, on my bench. My customer wanted to have his trigger pivot pin hole "bushed" and then pre, and over-travel screws, installed. He also requested that several of the internal parts be smoothed up. This pistol has a sear in it with an extra machined cut on the right side of the sear. At first I thought it was a "gul-damit" from the factory. Closer examination shows that the machining is very well done and in-line with the area of the hammer where the magazine disco parts reside. I have been reading some posts lately about how magazines on the ~NEW~ pistols pop out much better, and more quickly than with previous pistols having a sear we normally see.

The sear on the left is from a pistol released from the factory in 2015. The sear on the right is from a pistol released in early 2014. I've asked a few others, in another forum, about this "new style" sear and so-far now, there are two others who have this same type sear in their pistol. Mind you, there's nothing wrong with this new sear, in fact it's an improvement, if it allows the magazines to freely drop out of the grip frame. To me, it's encouraging to see that Ruger is actually addressing a concern that many folks have about sticky magazine release with the Mark III series of guns.

COLT_45

Single-Sixer
SGW...

Sure would appreciate the first 6 digits of the serial number. This which would help some of us from tearing ours down... You know how that is for some lol :) Anyway, I'm somewhere around the 274-85X area and left the testing bench around 11-2014. My mag doesn't fall out on the floor, but it does slide in and out fairly easy. I've run only CCI's in every .22 available from targets to stingers with no problems to date. Maybe we can key in to when the sear was actually changed...

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
It sounds like your pistol was one of the first group to have this type sear installed. So, far I'm mostly reading about sears in pistols that were purchased in 2015, but that doesn't mean that's when they were shipped. If an owner can remove the barrel/receiver assembly for a look-see, it should be easy enough to determine which sear is installed. I don't see any harm involved with what Ruger is trying to accomplish, but it seems like the remedy is more of a "hit or miss" proposition.