RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:21 pm 
Buckeye

From the June 2012 WebBench e-mail:

“Dear Folks,

“Those of you shopping for economically priced .223 and 5.56 ammunition may be discovering that it is getting harder and harder to find. There is significant demand for these calibers at this moment, with the US Army the main buyer of the lower-priced ammunition. From our various sources, we are hearing that the Army is bringing their reserves back up to a reasonable level in anticipation of the perceivable conflicts our military may be engaged in over the next 24 plus months.

“At this time, the military gets a significant majority of their ammunition from the Lake City Army Ammunition Plant in Independence, Missouri. Every couple of years, the contract for manufacturing ammunition is sent out for bids, and the quotations are reviewed. The re-bid time for the next contract is coming up - due October 2013. While that is more than a year away, whenever a military contract of this magnitude comes up, there are significant uncertainties of change in operations by the new winner of the bid. And, with any change in operations, there’s also the strong possibility of a significant delay in supply.

“What the military is doing right now, then, is a very reasonable response to an uncertain future supply chain and a possible change in their manufacturing base. They are stockpiling more ammo than may be needed by the military, but which might actually be available to the commercial market once the contract is all settled and the new contractor is in place and up to full operation. So, it's kinda a bucket of worms . . . strong possibility of uncertain ammo manufacturing capacity during this time of real transition – probably – maybe.

“It just so happens that Lake City is also a main source of component parts for aftermarket reloaders and resellers of ammunition, too. With the military buying nearly everything Lake City is producing right, the resellers and aftermarket reloaders are finding their supply is getting mighty tight, too.

“To make the situation a ‘perfect storm of uncertainness‘, we're finding that the commercial ammo market is growing exponentially, with consumers wanting more and more ammo, raising the demand curve even higher. We talked about what might be causing this in the last WebBench – basically, more folks shooting the AR-15, with more need for ammo. Other causes are the ‘election effect‘, a possible presidential fiat to ban military rounds to the civilian market (I do not believe this to be a real factor, but it is a motivator in the market place), and finally what economists call ‘scarcity demand‘. Scarcity demand is when we go the store, and there is nothing on the shelf. We feel that momentary panic, that ‘I've gotta get some . . . the store doesn't have any’ response.

‘And finally, we really have to accept the fact that these are ‘uncertain times‘. Uncertainty is going to be with us for a great many more months. The media is hitting us with that every day in every venue available to them. Just in the last few days we've been smacked with the Supreme Court ruling on Obamacare, the Fast and Furious scandal, and the most damaging wild fires in history both in Colorado and the Northeast. Sort makes you want to turn off the noise, retreat to the patio, find some shade and something cool to drink . . . except the West and Midwest and much of the South are having a record-setting heat wave.”

http://links.brownellsinc.mkt2010.com/s ... &mt=1&rt=0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:39 am 
Hunter

Yeah, read that last night. Not that I doubt Frank's integrity, but it sounds like a prelude to "soaring prices".

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:59 am 
Hawkeye

Ray Newman wrote:
...the Army is bringing their reserves back up to a reasonable level in anticipation of the perceivable conflicts our military may be engaged in over the next 24 plus months.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
THERE'S the real headline here. Where does the Army (under the current commander in chief) think we might be going to war in the next 24 months? :? :? :? :?

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:35 am 
Single-Sixer

Iran

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:38 am 
Hawkeye

JEFraze wrote:
Iran

I was thinking maybe more like Detroit, etc. :? :? :wink: :lol:

Sat Cong!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:46 am 
Single-Sixer

I belive its just the higer ups in the mlitary that is gearing-up for a conflict with Iran and not the Idiot in the White House. Of course our leader will do nothing about the Iran nuke problem Rather he will hold off untill Isreal will step up to the bat and preform an air strike which will force Iran to declar war on them and the US. This is when we will invade Iran from our bases in Pakastan and Iraq or possably Turkey . ( I personaly belive that this is one of the major reasns for our invasion of Iraq )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:49 am 
Hawkeye

We're not going to invade Iran. I'd expect to see us nuke them before I'd expect to see us invade them.

Sat Cong!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:57 am 

Snake45 wrote:
We're not going to invade Iran. I'd expect to see us nuke them before I'd expect to see us invade them.

Agree.

Plus, I think there's some more 'Stuxnet' goodies on deck for Iran. I read something a few weeks ago (I'll try to dig up the article) where Iran is just now starting to climb out from under the chaos that first virus strike caused. This article mentioned how easy it would be to program a virus that would shut down the cooling systems in their reactors; instant Chernobyl.

Cyberweapons: Iran's nuke program neutralized without a shot fired.

:wink:

"Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear."

Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:57 am 
Hunter

Snake45 wrote:
Ray Newman wrote:
...the Army is bringing their reserves back up to a reasonable level in anticipation of the perceivable conflicts our military may be engaged in over the next 24 plus months.

THERE'S the real headline here. Where does the Army (under the current commander in chief) think we might be going to war in the next 24 months? :? :? :? :?

aqui

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:45 am 
Hunter

Glad I don't own one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:47 pm 
Hawkeye

Just got 10 boxes from Palmento State a few wks. ago. $6.50 /20 free ship. & no tx. Yet to try any,as no rain 90+ degrees daily. Shooting banned in forest till it rains.

Obama Used More Security Against Vet’s WWII Memorial Than He Had At Benghazi.

Viet Nam Vet 1965-67

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:00 pm 
Hunter

Snake45 wrote:
Ray Newman wrote:

I could very well be wrong but what I believe the writer meant to imply was supplies are low now due to CURRENT conflicts and they just want to bring reserve stock back to normal just in case!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:53 pm 
Hunter

Obama's INTERNAL police force (aka Brown Shirts) is gearing up for the election riots.

Retired Fire Dog
Proud Reagan R̶e̶p̶u̶b̶l̶i̶c̶a̶n̶ Conservative
Curmudgeon

“Never wrestle with a pig. You'll both get dirty and the pig enjoys it.”
author unknown

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:02 pm 
Hunter

To bad for as I have not been able to find any ammo.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:01 pm 
Single-Sixer

[quote="Capn27"]Obama's [i]INTERNAL[/i] police force (aka Brown Shirts) is gearing up for the election riots.[/quote]

"Brown Shirts" UPS Drivers are going to get involved in this mess????