New Vaquero with a 7.5 in barrel?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Michael C

Bearcat
I am interested in a New Vaquero in 45 colt with a 7.5 inch barrel, but, it seems they have stopped making them. Does anyone know if one can be ordered? Or, can I have a barrel replaced with the longer 7.5? I cant find one anywhere.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
The odds are slim to zero of ordering one as they are no longer cataloged. Ruger most likely still has some 7 1/2" barrels for the New Vaquero in .45 Colt. A call to Customer Service can confirm this. I only remember seeing them in Blue. You can then pick up a New Vaquero and send it in for rebarrelling. You occasionally run into them on the auction sites but they are not really common.

Best Regards,
ADP3

gak

Buckeye
Or...failing the above, --someone correct me but I believe the old large frame Vaquero is the same thread pitch, if you find a spare one of those. It likely will have the more visible top/side lettering though.

REP1954

Blackhawk
You may want to contact some of the custom gunsmiths that do caliber and rebarrel work. I have bought parts from Bowen Classic Arms for a few things that way.

lfpiii

Blackhawk
First thing in the morning call and email Budsgunshop.com they have been selling Ruger cleanup guns for years. A couple of weeks ago they had New Model 7-1/2 Ruger Vaqueros. Sometimes people will place a gun on layawy and later cancel. Buds might put you on a waiting list.

Terry T

Buckeye
Just found a stainless one! :D
7 1/2" New Vaquero in 45 Colt. It did follow me home so I guess I'll have to keep it and feed it. :D

Anyone have a feel for how "rare" these really are?
Terry T

Michael C

Bearcat
Thanks for the info guys; I will check out some of the suggestions. Terry T, all I know is Ruger does not catalog them anymore. Dealers say they dont make them with that barrel.

Terry T

Buckeye
The long and the short of it - 45 Colt New Vaqueros:

P5021984.jpg

:D
Terry T

REP1954

Blackhawk
Mike, check this one out. Maybe you can sway him to ship.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=46395

chet15

Hawkeye
Terry T said:
Just found a stainless one! :D
7 1/2" New Vaquero in 45 Colt. It did follow me home so I guess I'll have to keep it and feed it. :D

Anyone have a feel for how "rare" these really are?
Terry T

Of the New Vaquero they would be the rarest of the regularly produced models. Of course the 5-1/2" has always been the most common length, then the 4-5/8" next. So the 7-1/2" far lagged in sales behind the other two lengths.
The KNV-45 is pretty rare as you don't see them very often. But the absolute rarest should be the NV45 all-blue 7-1/2" as the 7-1/2" length was dropped before Ruger went to the all-blue finish. So the only NV-45's that exist out there in full blue finish are cleanup guns. Ruger did do quite a few of these to dump their 7-1/2" lengths, probably at least several hundered in blue and the same in stainless, but now that they are gone ???
I think Davidson's bought out most of the blue and stainless 7-1/2's that Ruger had.
Chet15

mic214

Bearcat
I just bought a stainless NV in .45 Colt with a 7-1/2" barrel. It looks like a first run model that was made in 2005 as it has the safety warning on the side of the barrel and not underneath like the current ones do.

I am using mine for cowboy action shooting. It balances great and is the most naturally pointing handgun I have ever shot:

Vaqueroholster1.jpg