RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:21 pm 
Bearcat

I realize not everyone will have the same reaction... but, I picked up a new M&P Shield 9mm, and after one trip to the range my LC9/Nemesis combo have been supplanted.

The Shield is a dream to shoot, great trigger and sights, light recoil, great ergonomics, two mags, priced very close to the LC9. This is what Glock should have done years ago, but I have to admit I am proud is was an American company who came out with it!

Bottom line for me, anyone want to buy a gently used LC9?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:40 pm 
Blackhawk

The M & P Shield is the new entry in the micro 9mm and will be a huge success.If it is better than your LC9,I would say sell your LC9 off.

I've owned an M & P 9c for years and love it.

When they kick at your front door
How you gonna come?
With your hands on your head
Or on the trigger of your gun?

Last edited by Gregg1LE on Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:47 am 
Bearcat

I have not fondled one yet at any of the "fun stores", but I for one might pick one up some day. I was thinking about getting a smaller 9mm for carry to supplement my sr9C and I was thinking about the lc9 until I saw the pics and MSRP of the shield.
WHAT A NICE LOOKING PIECE. I would like to see a pic of one side by side with the sr9c and maybe the M&P 9c.

Decisions, decisions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:55 pm 
Bearcat

From what I can tell it looks like it is just a little too big for pocket carry which makes it of little use to me. If I have to carry on the belt there are other options that hold more rounds.

That said, I would sure like to actually hold one and see how it fits in the front pocket of my cargo shorts.

How do you carry yours? You may not care for pocket carry, but is it a practical gun for the front pocket? My LC9 is in my pocket every day and I barely notice it. If the Sheild can do the same I am definitely interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:50 pm 
Hunter

I guess 9mm is the new 380. What took so long? Most of the pocket 9's are coming in 40cal versions too! So many choices so few pockets! I like the walther Pps but the new shield looks good and is priced right.....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:50 pm 
Single-Sixer

Arizona Gunner wrote:
I realize not everyone will have the same reaction... but, I picked up a new M&P Shield 9mm, and after one trip to the range my LC9/Nemesis combo have been supplanted.

The Shield is a dream to shoot, great trigger and sights, light recoil, great ergonomics, two mags, priced very close to the LC9. This is what Glock should have done years ago, but I have to admit I am proud is was an American company who came out with it!

Bottom line for me, anyone want to buy a gently used LC9?

I finally had a chance to handle and shoot a S&W Shield. I thought that the grip was uncomfortable, the slide was too difficult to "rack" (for my wife), the size doesn't conform to a good carry gun for me. The gun seems to be optimized for the 40sw platform and therefore doesnt served the 9mm as well as it could. That being said - Ill keep my LC9.
Hip Shot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:08 pm 
Bearcat

As far as I can tell side by side, the "envelope" is just about identical for the Shield and the LC9, with the 7 round mag in the Shield. I have always carried my LC9 in a Nemesis, and the Shield is also just right in a Nemesis (but it's a different one), as long as I'm wearing something with a decent sized pocket. For me, that is Dockers or a similar design.

The Nemesis for the two looks like they come from the same blank, but the space for the pistol is stitched up differently due to the different shape of the trigger guards.

In blue jeans, it's back to the LCP or my old Seecamp 32, pockets are too small for either of the 9's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:58 pm 
Buckeye

I'm not sure when every gun below full size service pistol became "pocket" size. Of all my guns only my Kel-tec 32 is truly pocket size and she rides nice in a Desantis Nemesis. I think the LC9 is well enough established to survive, or at least until the mini 9 craze dies down-whenever that might be!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:34 am 
Single-Sixer

I'll keep my LC9!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:42 am 
Hunter

Most of the new "pocket" 9mm's are thinner than a beretta 21a 22cal pocket pistol. The lc9 seems smaller than the shield & the Pps because of the bevel on the end of the slide under the rear sight. The bevel makes it easier to carry but it also makes the sight plane shorter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:49 am 
Bearcat

If Ruger got one thing right about the LC9, it was the external shape of the gun.

It was designed to shoot 9mm and only 9mm, and that shows. It's just as big as it needs to be to hold 7+1 and shoot a normal pressure 9mm cartridge.

From the nice bevel of the beavertail to the relatively tiny dust cover on the guide rod, this pistol is as close as you'll come to a modern incarnation of the Walther PPK designed for deep carry.

The Shield looks thick, and it's obvious to me that S&W didn't give much thought to how well it could be deeply concealed.

Clearly a design by committee. Someone must have said "but wait, we should make a .40 S&W version" - and no one could come up with an objection, so they did it.

The problem now is that the 9mm will likely be the strong seller, and it will be the gun that was the compromise. It had to be designed to handle the pressure and size of .40, so there's more gun there than needs to be in a 9mm.

And the whole reason people want single stack 9mm's in the first place is that a thin, small, but most importantly thin gun is easiest to conceal. And instead of sticking true to that formula, they've catered to a niche crowd that wants to punish themselves by shooting .40 out of a tiny gun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:22 am 
Bearcat

Spart, I would be willing to bet you haven't handled a Shield.

Feel free to revise your post after you do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:47 pm 
Buckeye

It's just S&W's attempt to do what Glock did with guns like the 26, aka the "Micro Glock".

Reminds me of a mini-M&P, so what is it exactly, just a smaller M&P9c?

Maybe prices for .380 ammo will go back to sane levels, now that 9mm is the new pocket gun round......and 9mm will be even more popular, as if it isn't already 8)

Medium-sized steel frame .32's and .380's like the CZ-83 will pretty much be obsolete, except I still like them!

Overall, I'm a revolver nut and I have a hard time getting excited about another poly frame pocket 9mm pistol. But I'm glad more CC type guns are coming out, and more people are getting CC permits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:04 pm 
Bearcat

Arizona Gunner wrote:
Spart, I would be willing to bet you haven't handled a Shield.

Feel free to revise your post after you do.

I will second that, Shield is a great gun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:54 pm 
Single-Sixer

One negative I consistently hear about the LC9 is the really long/hard DAO Trigger Pull. That being said, I'd be anxious to try the M&P Shield out being striker fired!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next