RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:50 pm 
Offline
Single-Sixer

Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:09 pm
Posts: 311
So I'm looking for one in .30-06 and I am finding them online. GB, various online sellers. Local shop will order it in and charge me $316, but then the tax and shipping take it up around $370.

See them on GB from $329 to $399. Shipping from $20 to $30 and of course no tax on out of state order, but then $15 to my FFL to receive.

Wondering what the best price and shipping are that folks are seeing out there?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:08 pm 
Offline
Buckeye

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:01 am
Posts: 1484
Location: South Dakota
Gun show last weekend there were two .30-06's and one .270. All were priced within $5 of $340.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:11 am 
Offline
Single-Sixer

Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:09 pm
Posts: 311
[quote="rugnelli"]Gun show last weekend there were two .30-06's and one .270. All were priced within $5 of $340.[/quote]

Thanks for the info.

Lowest total price I've now seen is $325 + $22 Shipping + $15 FFL.

I think these will go a little cheaper. Trying to decide if it's worth it to me to wait a while or just splurge now.

Decisions ... decisions . . .


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:24 am 
Offline
Ruger Guru

Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:01 am
Posts: 1061
Location: Pidcoke, Texas, USA
I think at that price, I would support your local shop and have it now. You won't beat that by much anywhere else. Shipping from out of state and in state tax are about a wash on this price rifle.
I shot one in January and I think you will be impressed! Get one and let us know how it shoots for you.

_________________
El Numero Uno
"I do Ruger No. 1 Rifles"
www.classicsportingarms.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:09 am 
Offline
Long Frame Super
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:01 am
Posts: 3585
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah. USA
El Numero Uno wrote:
I think at that price, I would support your local shop and have it now. You won't beat that by much anywhere else. Shipping from out of state and in state tax are about a wash on this price rifle.
I shot one in January and I think you will be impressed! Get one and let us know how it shoots for you.


+1 IMHO

_________________
Steve

GUN COLLECTORS......Stewards of America's Firearms Heritage!

Living in the Middle of the Rocky Mountains!
God Bless Our Troops, Especially Our Snipers!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:43 am 
Offline
Hawkeye
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:57 pm
Posts: 11799
Location: Casa Grande, Arizona
It also depends on your local sales tax & what your local FFL fees are. Here in Casa Grande, sales tax is almost 10%. Not so influential with a $320 dollar purchase of course. :)

I like to support local business when I can IF they have what I want and at a price that's reasonably competative. I won't go through the inconvenience of mailing USPS money orders & the whole FFL thing for a 25 dollar cheaper bottom line for example.

_________________
Best regards, Pete

"When we, the people ordained and established the Constitution, we created the Federal Government. It is our creature. We are the creator. It is the creature. It is not our master." Publius-Huldah

"The Best Way To Protect Freedom For Ourselves Is To Protect Freedom For Everybody." -Sonny Barger

Μολὼν λάβε
Member RCA, RENE, NRA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:16 pm 
Offline
Single-Sixer

Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:09 pm
Posts: 311
I do try to buy locally when I can. The product being made out of state but in the USA though, I'll worry less about that. So long as Americans benefit when I do buy something it just gets down to the more I save on the boom stick the more I can feed the beast!

I'm watching the prices for a little bit. See what develops.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:53 am 
Offline
Hunter
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:01 am
Posts: 4483
Location: western ky usa
$329.99 yesterday at Whittakers. 6% tax in KY.
One on the shelf in 30.06.

_________________
"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a
living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living." --*Anonymous


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:18 am 
Offline
Single-Sixer

Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:09 pm
Posts: 311
welder wrote:
$329.99 yesterday at Whittakers. 6% tax in KY.
One on the shelf in 30.06.


I've seen one down to $279.99 with a hefty shipping fee. I decided to watch and see how prices play out.

What surprises me are the selers on GB offering them at $400 with a big fat shipping charge. Rifles go by with zero bids, auction after auction.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:48 am 
Offline
Buckeye
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:01 am
Posts: 1912
Location: Kansas
ChrisInTempe wrote:
welder wrote:
$329.99 yesterday at Whittakers. 6% tax in KY.
One on the shelf in 30.06.


I've seen one down to $279.99 with a hefty shipping fee. I decided to watch and see how prices play out.

What surprises me are the selers on GB offering them at $400 with a big fat shipping charge. Rifles go by with zero bids, auction after auction.


Dealer cost is $292.00 on these so take that for what its worth. Some seem to be advertizing below cost with high shipping , some are in the ballpark , and some are overcharging on both the rifle and shipping. Anyone interested in these can take that number and decide on their own if they think they are getting a fair deal.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:37 pm 
Offline
Single-Sixer

Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:09 pm
Posts: 311
rugerjunkie wrote:
ChrisInTempe wrote:
welder wrote:
$329.99 yesterday at Whittakers. 6% tax in KY.
One on the shelf in 30.06.


I've seen one down to $279.99 with a hefty shipping fee. I decided to watch and see how prices play out.

What surprises me are the selers on GB offering them at $400 with a big fat shipping charge. Rifles go by with zero bids, auction after auction.


Dealer cost is $292.00 on these so take that for what its worth. Some seem to be advertizing below cost with high shipping , some are in the ballpark , and some are overcharging on both the rifle and shipping. Anyone interested in these can take that number and decide on their own if they think they are getting a fair deal.


Hey that's good info! I'll keep that in mind as I watch for these rifles.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:55 am 
Offline
Hunter

Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:01 am
Posts: 2866
Location: Milwaukee Wisconsin
Looked at one today. Local Gander Mountain 349. I was not as impressed as I thought I would be. Nice beater rifle/ truck gun. Liked the trigger and the magazine. Rifle seemed heavy to me and the stock was a bit on the thick side. Reminded me a lot of the Tikka T3 but not as refined but at half the price would do you expect. I will wait and see if they come out with other calibers. I have been wanting a lighter 22-250 as a knock around gun.This would work very well if they ever offer it in that caliber.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:05 pm 
Offline
Blackhawk
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:55 pm
Posts: 531
Location: TN
I haven't looked seriously at a high powered rifle in a while,I seem satisfied with my custom Marlin 336 ..but this Ruger American has spiked my interest ..great reviews ..accurate ..seems like a no brainier..at least for me..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:32 pm 
Offline
Single-Sixer

Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:09 pm
Posts: 311
I am interested in the gun due to the reviews and the weight. Every ounce off the weapon is more supplies you can carry if you are hiking for miles.

Been watching prices. Auctions listing a starting price over $300 have not seen a single bid. Those auctions have run out and been relisted, some multiple times.

Auctions starting well under $300 have been bid up. Only sale so far was $316 + $35 shipping.

I'm watching those that start low, have low shipping charge.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:36 pm 
Offline
Hunter

Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:01 am
Posts: 2866
Location: Milwaukee Wisconsin
Granted I did not weigh the one I handled but it felt heavier than the weights they are advertising. If you have not handled one I would suggest you do before buying one on auction.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Rugerbyrd and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group