RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:50 pm 
Single-Sixer

So I'm looking for one in .30-06 and I am finding them online. GB, various online sellers. Local shop will order it in and charge me $316, but then the tax and shipping take it up around $370.

See them on GB from $329 to $399. Shipping from $20 to $30 and of course no tax on out of state order, but then $15 to my FFL to receive.

Wondering what the best price and shipping are that folks are seeing out there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:08 pm 
Buckeye

Gun show last weekend there were two .30-06's and one .270. All were priced within $5 of $340.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:11 am 
Single-Sixer

[quote="rugnelli"]Gun show last weekend there were two .30-06's and one .270. All were priced within $5 of $340.[/quote]

Thanks for the info.

Lowest total price I've now seen is $325 + $22 Shipping + $15 FFL.

I think these will go a little cheaper. Trying to decide if it's worth it to me to wait a while or just splurge now.

Decisions ... decisions . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:24 am 
Ruger Guru

I think at that price, I would support your local shop and have it now. You won't beat that by much anywhere else. Shipping from out of state and in state tax are about a wash on this price rifle.
I shot one in January and I think you will be impressed! Get one and let us know how it shoots for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:09 am 
Long Frame Super

El Numero Uno wrote:
I think at that price, I would support your local shop and have it now. You won't beat that by much anywhere else. Shipping from out of state and in state tax are about a wash on this price rifle.
I shot one in January and I think you will be impressed! Get one and let us know how it shoots for you.

+1 IMHO

GUN COLLECTORS......Stewards of America's Firearms Heritage!

Living in the Middle of the Rocky Mountains!
God Bless Our Troops, Especially Our Snipers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:43 am 
Hawkeye

It also depends on your local sales tax & what your local FFL fees are. Here in Casa Grande, sales tax is almost 10%. Not so influential with a $320 dollar purchase of course. :)

I like to support local business when I can IF they have what I want and at a price that's reasonably competative. I won't go through the inconvenience of mailing USPS money orders & the whole FFL thing for a 25 dollar cheaper bottom line for example.

"When we, the people ordained and established the Constitution, we created the Federal Government. It is our creature. We are the creator. It is the creature. It is not our master." Publius-Huldah

"The Best Way To Protect Freedom For Ourselves Is To Protect Freedom For Everybody." -Sonny Barger

Μολὼν λάβε
Member RCA, RENE, NRA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:16 pm 
Single-Sixer

I do try to buy locally when I can. The product being made out of state but in the USA though, I'll worry less about that. So long as Americans benefit when I do buy something it just gets down to the more I save on the boom stick the more I can feed the beast!

I'm watching the prices for a little bit. See what develops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:53 am 
Hunter

$329.99 yesterday at Whittakers. 6% tax in KY.
One on the shelf in 30.06.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:18 am 
Single-Sixer

welder wrote:

I've seen one down to $279.99 with a hefty shipping fee. I decided to watch and see how prices play out.

What surprises me are the selers on GB offering them at $400 with a big fat shipping charge. Rifles go by with zero bids, auction after auction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:48 am 
Buckeye

ChrisInTempe wrote:
welder wrote:

I've seen one down to $279.99 with a hefty shipping fee. I decided to watch and see how prices play out.

What surprises me are the selers on GB offering them at $400 with a big fat shipping charge. Rifles go by with zero bids, auction after auction.

Dealer cost is $292.00 on these so take that for what its worth. Some seem to be advertizing below cost with high shipping , some are in the ballpark , and some are overcharging on both the rifle and shipping. Anyone interested in these can take that number and decide on their own if they think they are getting a fair deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:37 pm 
Single-Sixer

rugerjunkie wrote:
ChrisInTempe wrote:
welder wrote:

Dealer cost is $292.00 on these so take that for what its worth. Some seem to be advertizing below cost with high shipping , some are in the ballpark , and some are overcharging on both the rifle and shipping. Anyone interested in these can take that number and decide on their own if they think they are getting a fair deal.

Hey that's good info! I'll keep that in mind as I watch for these rifles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:55 am 
Hunter

Looked at one today. Local Gander Mountain 349. I was not as impressed as I thought I would be. Nice beater rifle/ truck gun. Liked the trigger and the magazine. Rifle seemed heavy to me and the stock was a bit on the thick side. Reminded me a lot of the Tikka T3 but not as refined but at half the price would do you expect. I will wait and see if they come out with other calibers. I have been wanting a lighter 22-250 as a knock around gun.This would work very well if they ever offer it in that caliber.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:05 pm 
Blackhawk

I haven't looked seriously at a high powered rifle in a while,I seem satisfied with my custom Marlin 336 ..but this Ruger American has spiked my interest ..great reviews ..accurate ..seems like a no brainier..at least for me..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:32 pm 
Single-Sixer

I am interested in the gun due to the reviews and the weight. Every ounce off the weapon is more supplies you can carry if you are hiking for miles.

Been watching prices. Auctions listing a starting price over $300 have not seen a single bid. Those auctions have run out and been relisted, some multiple times.

Auctions starting well under $300 have been bid up. Only sale so far was $316 + $35 shipping.

I'm watching those that start low, have low shipping charge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:36 pm 
Hunter

Granted I did not weigh the one I handled but it felt heavier than the weights they are advertising. If you have not handled one I would suggest you do before buying one on auction.