Ruger SP101"bobbed hammer"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Karl7mm08

Bearcat
If I was wanting to change the the bobbed hammer on my sp101,does anyone know if it can be done and is it easy enough to change a double action into single action????......

ronto

Hunter
You can not change a DAO into a SA/DA by changing the hammer only. This should be obvious to you by simply pulling back the boobed hammer. Does it stay cocked in the SA position?...No, it does not.
If you don't like the DAO model, trade it in on a SA/DA model.

JLarsson

Single-Sixer
RonT said:
You can not change a DAO into a SA/DA by changing the hammer only. This should be obvious to you by simply pulling back the boobed hammer. Does it stay cocked in the SA position?...No, it does not.

This may or may not be true because the SA notch is on the hammer and the trigger of the DAO model WILL engage it if a SA/DA hammer is installed. I have converted a DAO SP-101 to SA/DA. The hammer COULD have dropped in and I would have been done. As it happened, I had to do some fitting of the pawl and the trigger plunger (I think I used new ones) in order to make it work smoothly and get it timed right.

The more difficult issue would be finding a hammer.

chris_

Blackhawk
JLarsson said:
RonT said:

This may or may not be true because the SA notch is on the hammer and the trigger of the DAO model WILL engage it if a SA/DA hammer is installed. I have converted a DAO SP-101 to SA/DA. The hammer COULD have dropped in and I would have been done. As it happened, I had to do some fitting of the pawl and the trigger plunger (I think I used new ones) in order to make it work smoothly and get it timed right.

The more difficult issue would be finding a hammer.
This is correct. Aside from fitting, it will work because the DA/SA hammer has a SA notch and the DAO trigger does not.

JLarsson

Single-Sixer
chris_ said:
This is correct. Aside from fitting, it will work because the DA/SA hammer has a SA notch and the DAO trigger does not.

I'm sure you meant "hammer". It sounds like you've been through this, as well.

chris_

Blackhawk
JLarsson said:
chris_ said:

I'm sure you meant "hammer". It sounds like you've been through this, as well.
Oops, yep. :lol: I have been down this road a few times.

ronto

Hunter
As I said before, just trade in the DAO and buy a DA/SA. Monkey with the DAO and you will probably void the warranty...and BTW if you have car trouble, don't take your car to a shade-tree mechanic.

Thel

Blackhawk
Hammers can be found at e-gunparts.com (Numrich) and from some others places but it usually takes searching for several months (or it did me). I even found once at a gunshop in MA using Google.

Latest posts