RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 77/22 Accuracy
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:20 pm 
Bearcat

A friend of mine wanted me to sell a Target Gray 77/22 with laminated stock for him. So just for curosity I decided to shoot it and see just how accurate it was. I have several friends that will not touch a 77/22 because they say they are not accurate along with the awuful trigger. I mounted a 12X scope and tried 10 different brands of 22LR ammo to include RWS Target and a lot of other high-priced stuff. Guess what. CCI Mini-Mags was the most accurate by far. Produced one hole groups at 50 yds. in 5 round strings. The trigger measured 8.6 lbs. Needless to say I gave him the 400.00 he wanted for it and have now installed a Timney sear and spring. This rifle will shoot circles around anything I have owned including Kimbers etc. Now I am looking for a 22 Magnum in the same rifle. JM2CW

SSG Ret.
TANG
66-06

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:00 pm 
Single-Sixer

Timney makes it like a totally different rifle doesn't it!

I don't know what pound pull mine is but its lighter and smoother than my Savage accutrigger

Due to the substantial increase in ammo cost you can no longer expect a warning shot!

Common guns will always be common (Don Findley)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:10 pm 
Hawkeye

Bootlegger wrote:
Timney makes it like a totally different rifle doesn't it!

Sure does. Took mine from a clean but heavy 6 pounds to a clean 3 pounds, just exactly where I wanted it. Lovely trigger now, and for only $24!

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:33 pm 
Hawkeye

If you find a 77/22 Mag. you will like it also,,,mine shoots one ragged hole at 50 yards with CCI .22 Mag solids.
Best,
Terry

Clyde "Jug" Johnson - Sixgun Man

Post subject: How accurate is a 77/22?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:05 am 
Buckeye

I shoot at 1 inch squares at 25 yards.
None of the groups are outside the square.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:13 am 
Hawkeye

MADISON wrote:
I shoot at 1 inch squares at 25 yards.
None of the groups are outside the square.

Heck, the only .22 rifle I have that won't do that is a USGI M261 .22 conversion in a 5.56 AR-15 barrel (wrong diameter, wrong twist). And even it will do that sometimes, with some ammos.

My 77/22V shoots 5/8" groups at 50 yards with its favorite ammo, and not that well with everything else. I've never been able to get a 1/2" group out of it at 50. My CZ 452 American can bust 1/2" at 50 all day long, and has shot a few legit 1" groups at a full 100.

Sat Cong!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:08 pm 
Single-Sixer

I also have a 77/22 Target with a laminate stock....I shot a entire box of 50 rounds of Wolf Match Target into a 1 inch orange circle at about 40 yards. It shoots lights out. It became boring ragged that same hole. Great rifle. I would also like to find on in .22 mag. I just picked up a silimar version in .17 HMR ( Talo edition X-17 ). That is also a shooter. That model is definately under estimated for it accuracy. I have not upgraded the trigger to a Timney yet. A Bushnell 4200 4-16x40mm AO rides on top.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:26 pm 
Hunter

Different people have different definitions of accuracy it seems. I'd love to own a 77/22 but for the price of one if it didn't shoot 3/8" or better @ 50 yards I'd really be disappointed. They're a beautiful rifle for sure but I don't buy them to look at. Like Snake45, my CZ(s) will shoot into the .2x" @ 50 yards occasionally and under 1/2" without fail.

Maybe the threaded barrel will tighten the groups up and their rep will improve.

"one ragged hole" can be anything from 5 shots in a straight line string to a little bughole. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:02 pm 
Hunter

My early 77/22 sporter will turn in 5/8 - 3/4" 10 shot 50 yard groups regularly with it's favorite ammo, although none of that ammo is very pricey. I had a lower end Anschutz that would shoot a bit better than that, but the Ruger was a much nicer feeling and handling gun. The Anschutz resides in somebody else's gun cabinet now. There are a few of the CZ rifles that appeal to me, but they seem pretty rough feeling compared to my 77/22.

"For Americans with insurance coverage who like what they have, they can keep it. Nothing in this act or anywhere in the bill forces anyone to change the insurance they have, period." Barack Obama

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:09 pm 
Hawkeye

ArmedinAZ wrote:
I'd love to own a 77/22 but for the price of one if it didn't shoot 3/8" or better @ 50 yards I'd really be disappointed. They're a beautiful rifle for sure but I don't buy them to look at.

Mine doesn't and I am. :( :( :evil: It does look good, though.
Quote:
Like Snake45, my CZ(s) will shoot into the .2x" @ 50 yards occasionally and under 1/2" without fail.

If my 77/22V had shot the way I expected it to when I bought it, I wouldn't even own the CZ today. :wink:
Quote:
Maybe the threaded barrel will tighten the groups up and their rep will improve.

My understanding is that the chamber itself is of vital importance. Doesn't matter how good the barrel is or how it's mounted if they chamber it with a 10/22 reamer, and I believe that's pretty much what they were doing when mine was built. I've heard they have tighter chambers now.

Quote:
"one ragged hole" can be anything from 5 shots in a straight line string to a little bughole. :roll:

I hear ya. When somebody says his joint is "accurate," I pay it no attention unless he shows me a target or tells me some numbers, brother.

Sat Cong!

Post subject: Re: 77/22 Accuracy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:42 pm 
Hawkeye

deleted

Last edited by WAYNO on Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:09 pm 
Hunter

Quattroclick wrote:
There are a few of the CZ rifles that appeal to me, but they seem pretty rough feeling compared to my 77/22.

Absolutely agree with you. Just wish the 77/22 could outshoot the CZ.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:13 pm 
Newly Registered

Hey guys I know this is a really old thread but it came up in a search for 77/22 mag reviews. I've heard both good and bad about them and I recently picked up a used one in excellent condition. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet so I was looking up people opinions on them. My dad has one of the first ones they made and it is super accurate. I killed a coyote with a 100 yard head shot and have killed squirrels at 150. So I hope mine shoots as good. I will update after I get some rounds down range. From everyone's input looks like I've got a 50/50 chance at having an accurate one.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:21 pm 
Single-Sixer

I'm pretty happy with my 77/22 Mag - it has been sometime since I've had it at the range, but it does make some nice groups at 50 yards with the CCI ammunition. I've got to try it out @ 100 yds next

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:09 pm 
Newly Registered

Well I shot 50 rounds through it. It definitely needs a trigger job. I was only able to get a 1" group at 100 yds but that is a head shot on a squirrel so I can't complain too much. That was with cheal ammo. I got some 34 grain winchester hollow points that were one ragged hole at 50 yds. I think they would be better at 100 yds also. Gotta get the trigger worked on and try again. But overall I am very happy with it so far.