Snub Nose SP101 .357

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rossa

Bearcat
For those occasions where I need something smaller, yet still potent, to carry, I am looking at a 2" .357. My wife carries a LCR .357, but with .38's in it. I have shot that gun with .357's, and it kicks pretty badly. Of course, that's to be expected from a short barreled, lightweight gun shooting hot rounds.
Since I want to carry .357's, I want a gun with more weight and slightly larger grips to help control the recoil. I was looking at the SP101 in 2" and had a couple of questions:
1. Any experience with that gun, barrel length and caliber by people here?
2. It looks like the gun doesn't come with adjustable sights in that barrel length. I prefer adjustable sights and didn't know if they were available.
3. Any aftermarket grips for that gun which will help to tame recoil?
Thanks

Terry T

Buckeye
I found that there is a noticable difference in 'kick' in the 357 LCR between 125 gr. 357 mags and 158 gr. loads with the heavier bullet kicking more. The 125 gr JHP is the best for self defense on humans so that suits me just fine.
I have both 2" and 3" SP-101s and like them but they are heavier to carry around all day.

It's always a trade off - carry weight vis recoil.

By the way, both the SP-101s and the KLCR shoot to point of aim for me.
Just my $0.02 worth.
Terry T

rossa

Bearcat
Thanks for the input. I don't mind carry weight since I usually carry a 1911. I'm more concerned about times when I need a smaller size gun rather than less weight.

Terry T

Buckeye
The SP-101 really needs a holster to carry and in that case I perfer the 3". Really doesn't take up more room and is easier to shoot ( longer sight radius and a little more velocity ). For example, I'd carry the 3" SP-101 as a 'woods gun' and the KLCR as an 'urban' gun.

I have a small hand so the factory grips suit me just fine.
Terry T

Hugh

Buckeye
1. Any experience with that gun, barrel length and caliber by people here?
Yes, I've had my SP-101 2-1/4" .357 for three years, and 3-1/16" two years. Regularly shoot .357 ammunition. Not uncomfortable or unmanageable.

2. It looks like the gun doesn't come with adjustable sights in that barrel length. I prefer adjustable sights and didn't know if they were available.
Fixed sights; ideal for self defense ranges. Besides nothing on the firearm to hang up on garments.

3. Any aftermarket grips for that gun which will help to tame recoil?
Yes, several; I have during the past two years installed Trausch grips; they're very good, cost about $32 plus postage.

e3mrk

Bearcat
I have a Sp-101 with the 2.25" Barrel.
I installed Hogue Grips and that solved the Recoil problem for Me.
You need to try different Bullets from different Makers as They all are different,I have found that Speer Gold Dot for short Barrels work great for Me and I have a harder time hitting the Target with Others.

rossa

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies.
I dry fired one of these at a gun store the other day, and I was surprised at what felt like a very long trigger pull. Much longer than the LCR or any of my S&W revolvers. Not heavy or gritty, but very long.
Also seemed like what I would call a "two stage" pull. Same pressure until just before the break, then a definite spot where you could tell it was going to break. Never experienced that on a DA before. Didn't feel bad, just very different.

ronto

Hunter
I carry the 2 1/4" DAO (spurless) in a Mika pocket holster every day.

Hogue rubber MonoGrips and 357 Speer 135gr GDHP "Short Barrel" ammo helps reduce recoil to a reasonable level.

I practice "point and shoot" at the typical SD range of 7 yards so the non-adjustable sights are not an issue...Although I did nail a moving Armadillo at about 20 yards at twilight one time...a lucky shot me thinks.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
The SP-101, either 2" or 3", is the ideal small revolver for the 357mag. It is a little heavy to soak-up recoil and it does have a heavy trigger from the factory but the trigger pull can be improved a lot with break-in and maybe a spring change or if you want a little polishing can be done to the internals. After market grips can help with concealability and shootability. It is accurate, rugged, reliable and a joy to own and shoot. It is a fixed-sight self-defense revolver with or without hammer spur. 8) 8)

...Jimbo

rockman

Bearcat
I carry the SP 101 .357 2.25 and it is fun to shoot and easy to carry. Fanny pack or a fobus holster. Added hogue grips for the 357 loads.

Chiral

Bearcat
Hello all! New guy here contemplating a SP101. I was wondering if those of you with both the 2" and 3" models could post pictures of the two side by side and on top of each other so we could get an idea of size difference between the two. I've tried to do the same locally, but everyone here seems to only have the 2.25" models.

Thanks in advance!

Terry T

Buckeye
"Chiral"
I have both but a bit busy today to get them out and do a photo - sorry. :oops:
I perfer the 3" for sight radius and velocity. Should carry a bit better in a holster because of the leverage of the bit longer barrel.
If you are going to pocket carry, then the shorter barrel would be better but in every other case, I think the 3" is better.
To me, the SP-101 is a bit heavy for pocket carry but not everyone agrees on that point. (That's what my 357 LCR is for! :D )
Just my $0.02 worth.
Terry T

44shootist

Single-Sixer
If recoil bothers you learn to reload, I can load my 44mags to shoot soft as a 38 spl. or so hard you need both hands to hold on this puts you in charge not the gun.
Buy what you like then make it shoot how you want this way.

Chiral

Bearcat
Terry T said:
"Chiral"
I have both but a bit busy today to get them out and do a photo - sorry. :oops:
I perfer the 3" for sight radius and velocity. Should carry a bit better in a holster because of the leverage of the bit longer barrel.
If you are going to pocket carry, then the shorter barrel would be better but in every other case, I think the 3" is better.
To me, the SP-101 is a bit heavy for pocket carry but not everyone agrees on that point. (That's what my 357 LCR is for! :D )
Just my $0.02 worth.
Terry T

Thank you I appreciate the info! I am thinking of pocket carry when wearing cargos, but oterwise likely just IWB. My concern is the 3" will be too big for my wife (sounds like a funny comment i know ;) should she need to use the firearm. She already felt like the 2" was pushing it. For me though, the 2" fit pretty well. Maybe we should just get an LCR and a Sp101 !

chg

Bearcat
I've been using the SP101 with a 3" barrel for about 14 years now. I have a 2 1/4" SP101 that my wife claimed as hers. I can find little difference in concealing between the two and perfer the longer barrel for the higher velocity to provides. The only work I've done to either is a spring kit to improve the trigger pull and an orange nylon sight after the factory sight turned to pure silver due to wear. For loads I carry 135 Speer Gold Dots over 7.0 grs AA#5 in .38 cases for a chronographed 978 fps for carry in town and Lyman 358156 over 14.5 gr H110 in .357 cases in the woods. Velocity avreaged just under 1200 fps with the 158 gr cast load. Going above 14.5 grs H110 showed no gain in velocity or accuracy. I guess the 3" barrel is only going to burn so much of the slower powders. The 358156 loads shoot to point of aim at 20 yards, the 135 Speer GDHP go an inch low at the same distance. I tried Pachmayrs and Hogue grips, put the Hogues on my wife's gun and returned to the original factory grips on mine. I went thru countless holsters for this gun and settled on a Milt Sparks PMK for owb carry and either the Sparks VM II or Crossbreed for iwb carry. Sparks holsters are in a class of their own in my opinion and worth the wait.