Ruger MarkII 260

Help Support Ruger Forum:

roc1

Bearcat
I was wondering if anyone has one of these and the overall consensus as far as accuracy, smoothness of action and how good are these rifles? i have a old tang safety model in 30-06 that is a good rifle and did have a Hawkeye in 7-08 that I sold to one of my electricians. i found this 260 in a pawn shop and was curious about it and the caliber if Rugers shoot well in this caliber or generally not so good.My other rifles shoot good not as good as my Savages or my Remingtons but decent.
Thanks for help
roc1

TnTnTn

Single-Sixer
I like mine and it has evolved into my most carried deer rifle over the last 6-7 years. It is accurate enough(1.5") easily without load development, strong, reliable, low recoil, rugged, and effective. I reload for mine and use the basic 129g Hornady over Reloder 19. I got it for my rainy/snowy day rifle but I use it most all the time. Here are some kills-I have probably killed about 25-30 deer and several coyotes with this rifle. TTT
0103110804a.jpg

2 more
1205100841a.jpg

Christmas Day buck
1225080840a.jpg

Bitman

Bearcat
TnTnTn,

I would love to find a rifle like yours.
I have the Compact model, and it shoots 1" groups with Nosler 120 grain BT's.

mike-c

Single-Sixer
Greetings,

I looked for a 260 Remington, and a 6.5 x 55 Sweed, but finally settled on the Ruger 6.5 Creedmoor. If loaded to about the same pressure, they are all about equal. Power wise and accuracy wise they are most likely better than the 25-06. Individual rifles and opinions may vary.

Mike 8)

roc1

Bearcat
Thanks for replies. How does the MarkII compare to the old Tang Safety Model in as far as accuracy and overall quality?
Thanks for any help
roc1

TnTnTn

Single-Sixer
Roc, I only have one tang safety M77 and it is in 7x57. The accuracy of my MkIIs is better and the fit, finish, and general qualities are equal imo. The crf and blade ejector make the MkII the best otc real hunting rifle being made today. TTT

roc1

Bearcat
Thanks TnTnTn, I found a 260 MarkII at a pawn shop I do business with he wants $529 for it . I like the smoothness of my old Tang safety model on the bolt the newer ones do not appear as smooth. it may just be me or the rifle probably needs a good clean and lube job. I thought about trading my tang safety 30-06 for it. I have a Winchester Model 70 in 30-06 now and do not really need two of them. I guess it does not matter I have 2 -243 and 2-308.I want to keep a Ruger as I now have Winchester,Ruger,Remington,Savage,CZ rifles.
Thanks for help
roc1

jn 41

Single-Sixer
I had one and foolishly sold it to my cousin. He WILL NOT sell it back.
I took several deer with it and my cousin has taken several more. Another cousin has the same rifle, it is all he hunts with. They both shoot great, around 1 inch groups at 100yds, factory and handloaded ammo. great caliber and rifle. jn

mattsbox99

Hunter
If the bolt is stiff on the MKII that just means it hasn't been shot much. When you buy it, spend a little time working the bolt and it'll smooth up very nicely. They are very good guns.

I have the 6.5x55, 6.5Creedmoor and several 25/06s and couldn't tell one bit of difference between them in any respect. They all harvest deer just fine, and are plenty accurate. All are sub MOA shooters.