10/22 Auto Bolt Release Mod - Any Downsides?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JaPes

Bearcat
Through life experience, I firmly believe in the universal application of the law of conservation. There is a cost involved in everything.

I'm getting acquainted with my new 10/22 carbine. One aspect of operation that is a bit awkward is the stock bolt release procedure. After 100 rounds, I got the swing of it. If I did the auto-bolt release mod, I think my range trips would be more enjoyable.

Since I am a 10/22 newb, I don't have the experience to judge the potential downsides in performing this mod. There has to be a good reason why the stock bolt release operates the way it does. Are there any serious downsides in performing the auto bolt release modification?

paulw

Bearcat
I just picked up my second 10/22 and installed a PowerCustom hammer, sear and bolt release.
Not having to use two hands to release the bolt makes the rifle much more enjoyable in my opinion.

wwb

Hunter
JaPes said:
....... Are there any serious downsides in performing the auto bolt release modification?

After several years and about a bazillion rounds, I have yet to find a reason to not go with it.

I've put three on my 10/22s... got a third 10/22 and started to put one on it but then took the trigger group apart on one that I had already modified and looked at the part... it has got to be one of the simplest 'gun smithing' jobs you can do.

boltrelease.jpg

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
Be sure to place a slight curve in the top of the slot to aid in the auto bolt release functioning. Many folks just file a straight slot and have difficulties with the release. Notice the VQ has a arc in the top of the slot and this is what you wish to duplicate for smooth operation of the release. A set of needle files and a little bit of patience work great for this modification; simply retract the bolt and the stop drops away. Once you accomplish it you'll wonder why they aren't made this way in the first place.

R,
Bullseye

il Padrino

Bearcat
One thing I noticed with both a factory bolt release I modified myself and with an aftermarket automatic bolt release I purchased is that with the bolt in the open position a good hard smack to the butt of the rifle causes the bolt to close.
Not sure if they all do it, but just my experience with the two I have.

blume357 said:
I've put three on my 10/22s... got a third 10/22 and started to put one on it but then took the trigger group apart on one that I had already modified and looked at the part... it has got to be one of the simplest 'gun smithing' jobs you can do.

boltrelease.jpg

I did the same thing EXCEPT, I did not file anything but the 'pointy' thing in the middle. I did not file the other section into a 90% corner. It works just fine the way I did it. I filed a little and checked it and kept filing and checking till it operated as it was supposed to.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Don't order the part, easy to do youre self and works great. No reason not to do it. It does make the range trips a lot more enjoyable.

mpeltier

Bearcat
paulw said:
I just picked up my second 10/22 and installed a PowerCustom hammer, sear and bolt release.
Not having to use two hands to release the bolt makes the rifle much more enjoyable in my opinion.

Why were you using two hands. Thumb and middle finger of right hand at the same time releases the bolt. Not difficult in the least to instantly unlock the bolt with one hand. Same process to lock it, the little shape on the tab makes it easy to distinguish the slightly differant positions. I guess I have done it so long that way it seems automatic to me. For me it would not be worth modifying.

dsk

Bearcat
Me too. I've never had trouble locking/unlocking the factory bolt release, but I guess it's one of those things like learning to juggle. Either you eventually figure it out or you don't.

woodpuppy

Single-Sixer
I did the mod on my first 10/22 as well by filing the factory part. IMHO, it's not really worth the effort. If the bolt stayed back on its own after the last shot I might get excited about that. The only mod I performed that really added anything was drilling at tapping the trigger for an overtravel screw.

Regards,
Dave

I've used one for a couple years. I can't figure out why the factory part isn't as easy to use. I alas installed an extended magazine release. Another "valuable" modification.

JaPes

Bearcat
I'm learning how much potential the 10/22 has to be a money pit.

First it was the auto bolt release. Then came a scope. A recoil buffer went in for fun. Now I have a Power Custom hammer and sear on the way.

When will it end? :lol:

CraigC

Hawkeye
IMHO, the bolt release is the only major issue with the 10/22's design. It's terrible. The auto bolt release mod (or aftermarket part) is the single biggest bang for your buck. Makes the rifle vastly more convenient to operate. Some folks like to mod the factory part but I find the Power Custom extended bolt release to be much easier to manipulate.

Latest posts