Typical life of a 375H&H barrel?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tacotime

Single-Sixer
Just wondering the typical barrel life using factory or close to factory loads?

Thanks.

wwb

Hunter
The odds are that you will never "shoot out" a .375 H&H barrel. The grossly overbore cartridges are the main culprits.

As a side note, most of the erosion occurs immediately ahead of the chamber. Rethreading and rechambering the barrel to eliminate about an inch gives the barrel a new lease on life.... not quite as good as original, but close.

tacotime

Single-Sixer
That is a good question. But if I'm Warren Buffett, how many rounds do I get before it's done?

wwb

Hunter
tacotime said:
That is a good question. But if I'm Warren Buffett, how many rounds do I get before it's done?

Probably very similar to a .30-06.... if you shoot it 'til it's red-hot and keep shooting, not long. But if it's always cool enough to touch, even though quite warm, probably at least 10,000 rounds.

sp

Single-Sixer
I would not like to try.

I read a piece about Harry Shelby, a professional hunter in Africa, who managed to shoot out a .416 Rigby. Shelby claimed his .416 was shot out because the bullets were impacting elephants and other game sideways (the bullets). He rebarreled his rifle and kept on shooting more large game including elephants.

The .416 Rigby, from what I heard, has lower chamber pressures than the .375 H&H. I don't think Shelby did much target shooting with the .416. I would guess a person could get match grade accuracy out of a .375 H&H for 4000 to 5000 rounds.

Can frequent prolonged shooting of rifles having heavy recoils cause brain damage -- like boxing?

Ethang

Blackhawk
tacotime said:

I don't know the answer to that question but I was just doing some mental math with factory ammo and 5 thousand or so rounds :shock:

picketpin

Buckeye
I keep a prety accurate round count on my rifles.

The big bores sre pretty easy on the barrel simply because you don't shoot thaat much and when you do you are usually hunting. What's that in a year with one rifle AT game unless your on a safari, 10, 15 20 rounds?

Three shots and a dead elk and then put it away for another year?

Even really fast small bores last longer than you think as long as they aren't abused. I shoot a LOT of varmints but when I go I take at least 2 rifles and usually 4 or 5 and trade off as thing heat up.

Some of my favorites get shot more than others and I do own enough that I don't end up shooting the same rifle constantly.

BUT shooting a things/game is a lot different than punching paper.

I would expect to well in excess of 1000 rounds through a 375 H&H without trouble and would think 2000+ as lomg as you haven't over heated the barrel and continued to shoot while scorching hot, the rifle and barrel should out last you.

Just some random round counts.

22-250 55 grainers at about 3500 fps 3247 rounds since 1970
257 Roberts 100 grain Noslers at about 2900 fps since 1976
7mmSTW 160 grainers cranked as fast as they can be driven 879 since 1989.
300 Win Mag 180 Noslers at 2800 fps 1134 since 1972
338 Win Mag 250 Noslers at 2850 fps 585 since 1974.

Now for the kicker 17 Remington #1 with Shilen barrel 25 grain Hornady bullets at 4000 fps 5204 since built in 1979. I just don't shoot it HOT and I let it cool down. Yes it has some throt errosion but still shoots sub MOA. I might have to re-barrel it one time but then I'm in my 60s so.............

I really think 2000 is reasonable in a hunting rifle with reasonable care.

Ross

black029

Single-Sixer
I have heard this question posed before, but only in regard to varmint calibers.
I would guess 2-3,000 rounds and can also provide the name of a fine ortho surgeon specializing in shoulder replacements
Come on sir, even Keith didn't replace shot out .375 Mag barrels.
Suspect you are just stirring the pot, as they say.

Trey Whitley

Single-Sixer
No doubt Harry Selby had more occasion to shoot big bore rifles than most of us. But I have to think that his .416 Rigby's barrel problems were a combination of rounds fired, corrosive ammunition components, and to some extent limitations on how well it could be cleaned in a non-stop hunting/game cropping environment.

I also don't think there would be any need for shoulder replacement after firing 2,000 - 3,000 rounds of 375 H&H (unless you tried to complete that task in one day). It just isn't that vicious.

gatling

Blackhawk
I've never heard of anyone wearing out the barrel on any of the big bores. I suppose it's possible, but it's just not likely. For what it's worth, when I was on 20mm Vulcans in the Army, they told us the barrel life (of each individual barrel) was 12,000 rounds. The guns had 6 barrels, so that's a lot of shooting.

My .375 H&H is an old Remington 700 that I bought new in 1978, and it's a marvelous rifle (it's the one in the photo below). A year or two ago, American Rifleman had a page on my exact model (a Safari Grade .375 H&H Model 700) that an Alaskan guide had purchased new the same year I bought mine, and he used his continuousy as a working rifle. The gun's exterior was well worn, but I'd be willing to bet that the bore was immaculate and just as functional and accurate as it was the day it left the factory

Guns_19_900x201.jpg

You just can't get too much better than a .375 H&H; my suspicion is that a lot of the variants on this round are mere marketing exercises foisted on a gullible public. I seriously doubt any animal hit by either a .375 or a .416 would be able to tell the difference.

wwb

Hunter
Not sure what the expected barrel life was, but I've seen M-60 machine guns go through 2,000 rounds in about 15 minutes. The barrel wasn't glowing, but was DEFINITELY too hot to touch. Once cooled down, you couldn't tell the bore from a new barrel. Not sure what the total round count was through that barrel, but 1,500 to 2,500 rounds per firefight is normal, and a typical barrel went through several firefights.

I've also seen them so hot they glowed and even though the trigger was released, the rounds would "cook off" after a short delay. At that point, the accuracy was pretty well shot.

I have been shooting 375 H&H for 20+ years I love it & it is not a heavy recoil gun, I picked up a pre-64 Winchester model 70 from a guide in Alaska the outside was worn but the bore is great. I just don't see a 375 H&H barrel being shot out...., J/S

tacotime

Single-Sixer
Good info and stories, thanks, love 'em. And no, I wasn't stirring the pot - I had to choose between a new 375 and a used one (both without seeing in person) with only partial info about the rounds fired in the used gun. So I was curious what the odds were of a worn bore. Thanks again!

sp

Single-Sixer
Good point

I think the spahetti like cordite used back then would be not so good for bore life that combined with corrosive primers and high humidity would do a number on Shelby's barrel. My non stop cropping situations involve small rodents, ball powder, and usually a .223 - not very much exitement..

I can shoot my .375 for about 5-7 rounds real good and it is accurate and relatively flat shooting. But after 5-7 rounds the anticipation of pain is distracting and the cost of 75 grains of powder and 250 to 300 grain bullets is also a factor. I have found that when shooting from a bench that having a more upright position helps. My rifle weighs about 8.5 pounds and I have no thoughts about barrel life .

I have heard that with proper training and mental conditioning it is possible to shoot really big rifles like the .500 Jeffrey well - guess this would be sort of like taking a real good punch while boxing.

TRanger

Blackhawk
I don't shoot my .375 everyday, but it certainly doesn't sit in the safe unused either. I load 77 grains of H4350 under the 300 grain Hornady roundnose which equals the factory load. I expect the barrel will have plenty of life left by the time my great-grandchildren are old enough to use it.