SP101 2" vs 3"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

writwing

Single-Sixer
Looking for a SP for belt carry. Has anyone but one pipe length and wish they purchased the other instead?

Is the 3" any harder to carry/conceal than the 2"

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
I carry the DA/SA 3" SP101 .357 mag every day as a "field gun" in a LoboLeather high ride pancake holster. No problem concealing. It has become a part of my everyday life, and after nearly 40 years of owning handguns has become my all time favorite revolver.

surv

E

Single-Sixer
I loved my 3" SP101 for most uses, but I found it uncomfortable to carry IWB due to the barrel length; it was no problem for overall concealment compared to a shorter-barreled revolver, but the extra inch of barrel dug into me and would kind of "print" with some pants.

I sold it in favor of an LCR. If I pick up another SP (which I'm getting the feeling is likely), the 2.25" will be the way I go.

rdf009

Single-Sixer
This is a question that has been asked time and time again. There is no good answer. It all boils down to personal preference. My solution is to buy one of each......then you'll have the right one for sure. 8)

I'm sure the gun shop owner will tell you the same thing. :wink:

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Id go with the 3" if it was my main woods walking, hunting camping type sidearm. I would go with the 2+ inch if I was looking for strictly a street carry concealed gun.

off road

Single-Sixer
For me, a 3" is to much, and not enough. Not long enough to be a hunting or dangerous game SD gun, yet to long to be a pocket pistol either. (Even 2" is to heavy to make a good pocket pistol!) If all you ever will do is holster carry, then a 3" is no big deal.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
I have both. The 3 inchers are my rural revolvers. They get shot a lot at the range and see field use. The 2 incher gets carried for protection in urban landscapes. For your stated purpose the 3" would be my choice. It gives you a bit more sight radius and a surprising increase in velocity over the 2" version. You can't go wrong with either one. All of mine have the Butler Creek/Uncle Mike Boot Grips on them.

Best Regards,
ADP3

stantheman86

Buckeye
At point blank self defense range, the 2" will do you just fine. The bad guy won't notice the 50 fps. loss of velocity and you won't notice the 1" loss of sight radius since you won't be using the sights anyway.

The 3" SP101 was designed as a "multi purpose" length, it's not quite a snub anymore, but also not a full size "duty gun" like a 4" Six or GP100. If a guy only had one .357 a 3" SP101 would be the way to go. I hear the French police in some areas carry 3" .38 SP's.

hossblur

Bearcat
Go 3", if you can conceal the pistol itself the extra length doesn't matter, however I would go with some hogue grips if your shooting .357

stantheman86

Buckeye
I found barrel length has less to do with concealment than grip size, within reason of course...but it's not like I could hide a 9.5" Super Redhawk with compact grips :D

I can make this 6" GP disappear under a T-shirt when I'm wearing Blackhawk tactical pants or heavy cargo shorts. The compact Letts help it not to print, it wouldn't be possible with full size grips.

P5110005.JPG