Ten round mags for the 96/44

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Anothen Tophos

Bearcat
Hi all, I love the 96/44 bought secondhand because it is head and shoulders above other lever actions in regard to short throw, light weight, cocking indicator, no external hammer, no two-piece stock, and a rotary magazine which is quickly removable for unloading.

My questions are two: how many of these guns are out there in circulation? My feel is that there are only a small number compared to other Ruger products.

My second question hinges on the first: does anyone think that Ruger will make an extended magazine for them, even just a 10 rounder? It does draw away from the "sporting" streamlined look, but it would make a darned good defensive gun for house and home or truck with either .44 Specials or Magnums if it just had a slightly higher round count before reloading.

Just my .02, but what are your two cents? :)

Fenring

Bearcat
Here Down Under, I use my 96/44 for pig shooting. Three of us have them, and love them - except for the four round mag. It's just not enough when you come across a mob of pigs - my other mates who have 10 round Marlins are still blasting while I'm sustaining my load.

There is one retailer here who is looking at an adaptor to fit to the rifle, so it will take Desert Eagle .44 magazines.

PJR

Bearcat
If that retailer is succesful and makes an adapter for the 77/44 let us know. I'll be first in like to place an order.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
To me, thats the biggest turn off about the centerfire rotary mag rifles. I think they ought to have at least six rounds on hand, otherwise I'll take a tube feed any day.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
I can't find it but it's been posted before and I think on You Tube, but hogging out an issue Ruger rotary magazine and fitting in a Desert Eagle 10 round stick looks very do-able. MecGar or another company make the aftermarket DE "donor" magazine for about $29.00.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
The videos: I had some trouble playing them tonight?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpgAJj5B1iE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC8efWFi5b8

...Jimbo

Latest posts