Removing SR9c thumb safety?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

stover954rr

Bearcat
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has removed the thumb safety on their SR9c. I am considering this gun for CCW because it will be a little narrower than my M&P. However I have become very used to the M&P's lack of a thumb safety and prefer not to have a thumb safety on my ccw. I know you can remove them on the M&P's that come with them, but what about the SR9c's?
Thanks!

tcanthonyii

Bearcat
Can't really remove it. You could gut the tabs off I suppose but it's not removeable. It holds the whole back side of the trigger group together.

stover954rr

Bearcat
Okay. I was wondering if they made a kind of conversion kit to replace the thumb safety.

jhearne

Buckeye
Welcome to RF.com! You can cut off the tabs. I've cut off my right tab, kept the left. Doing so isn't a bad thing to do, you just have no way of 'un-safety-ing' the gun in the even that the lever slips to safe. However, the spring plungers that retain the lever in it's positions are pretty solid IMO. Worrying about any accidental slip is just part of the mod.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. I would be sure to have a spare Safety Lever in the event that you sell the SR9/c/40.

Josh

stover954rr

Bearcat
Josh,
Thank you for the thoughtful reply and warm welcome! Can you attach a picture of the work you have done so far? My game plan is to grind off the levers in the "off" position and then tac wield the bar so it stays off. Then of course grinding it and polishing it so it looks somewhat natural.

I wont carry a weapon with a manual safety..... personal preference.

~Stover

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Stover, Suit yourself. If you learned to walk and talk, you can learn to quickly operate a pistol with a safety. I say this because in 44 + years of gunsmithing I have heard many stories from customers. Some with good endings and some with really bad endings! I would never alter any safety system that could make the firearm unsafe to handle nor would I recommend it. Your playing Russian Roulette with your "own" future when you do!...................Dick :wink:

jhearne

Buckeye
stover954rr said:
Josh,
Thank you for the thoughtful reply and warm welcome! Can you attach a picture of the work you have done so far? My game plan is to grind off the levers in the "off" position and then tac wield the bar so it stays off. Then of course grinding it and polishing it so it looks somewhat natural.

I wont carry a weapon with a manual safety..... personal preference.

~Stover

NP, though I don't suggest doing this mod. Don't know what you'll tack it to, the Fire Control Housing is all plastic. The only metal close enough to tack it to needs to move. You shouldn't tac it, to do any work to the internals, the safety lever needs to be removed from the FCH, or at least swung out of the way.

I simply took a thin cutoff wheel on a die grinder and cut off the right tab so the piece of metal on the right sits flat. Then I took some tool cold bluing (from McMaster Carr) and blued the shiny metal to complete the look.

Did this to show how simple it was if the right tab was chewing your fingertips up when doing an over the top of slide grip to rack it. This prevented any blood-loss.

ff7a38fa.jpg

Safety Up:
10f2cf76.jpg

Safety Down:
00051574.jpg

frank n texas

Single-Sixer
Two thoughts pop into my mind regarding your plan to remove safety

1 If you ever need to send the gun back to Ruger for anything you COULD be told you have no warranty with them as you modified their gun design...

2 If you ever had the gun discharge and injure or kill someone the attorneys/jury for the injured or deceases would eat you alive for removing a safety device...This COULD seriously up your liability exposure both criminally and/or civilly...

Just my thoughts on your modification

Welcome to the Ruger Forum...

axisofoil

Single-Sixer
frank n texas said:
1 If you ever need to send the gun back to Ruger for anything you COULD be told you have no warranty with them as you modified their gun design...

Considering that Ruger doesn't offer warranties...

mikeruth

Bearcat
frank n texas said:

2 If you ever had the gun discharge and injure or kill someone the attorneys/jury for the injured or deceases would eat you alive for removing a safety device...This COULD seriously up your liability exposure both criminally and/or civilly...

Are you a lawyer?

stover954rr

Bearcat
Again Jhearn,
Thanks. I was thinking about cutting it and adding a little to bottom of the remainder of the lever so that it can't switch back on (it would hit the frame).

After a lot of responses, I feel that I might be trying too hard to get into this ruger :(. I will wait a little while. Maybe they will offer one without the safety.

tcanthonyii

Bearcat
That ain't gonna happen. Not from Ma Ruger anyway. I say go for it and train yourself to flip the switch. It isn't that hard.

jhearne

Buckeye
stover954rr said:
Again Jhearn,
Thanks. I was thinking about cutting it and adding a little to bottom of the remainder of the lever so that it can't switch back on (it would hit the frame).

After a lot of responses, I feel that I might be trying too hard to get into this ruger :(. I will wait a little while. Maybe they will offer one without the safety.

They won't offer an SR without one. The only full size center-fires Ruger ever made without a "Safety" were the decocker variant P-Series pistols. The lever ain't so bad for me, but I like the safety. Just a matter of what you want to do. But I agree with your remark about trying too hard to get into this gun. You shouldn't modify a gun to that extent just to make it where you want to carry it....especially for a potential carry gun. Range gun I'd say go nuts, but legally for carry, I can't say lopping both levers off is a good idea. In some states, the mod I did to remove the one could get me in hot water I imagine if involved in a HD/SD shooting.

Josh

pevadijk

Bearcat
I've ordered a spare set of safety's for my SR9 and when I get them, I'll grind the levers off. I only use the SR9 for fun on the range, so I don't care about liability and lawyers ;-)

Flash

Buckeye
mikeruth said:
frank n texas said:

Are you a lawyer?[/quote]

Does he need to be?

Flash

Buckeye
frank n texas said:

Good common sense here

pevadijk

Bearcat
BTW, I live in The Netherlands and guns are only allowed here for sport shooting. Self defense and such is very much forbidden and if I would shoot someone I'll will be in trouble on a scale that a removed safety isn't going to make much difference.

BlackStar

Bearcat
tcanthonyii said:
That ain't gonna happen. Not from Ma Ruger anyway. I say go for it and train yourself to flip the switch. It isn't that hard.

Is this to imply that Ruger won't make a gun with no safety? My P89DC has no safety.

carbonyl

Single-Sixer
axisofoil said:
frank n texas said:

Considering that Ruger doesn't offer warranties...

They may not offer a written warranty but if you have a problem with your gun they will most likely take care of it at no cost to you, but if you do some modifications……