educate me on Single Six barrel threads

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Aggie01

Blackhawk
Please educate me a little on Single Six barrel threads.

I know early Single Sixes have a smaller shank and coarser threads.
The reason for my question - If a fellow wants to convert an OM Single Six to 32, can a New Model 32 barrel be used? Is the minor diameter of the 32 barrel threads larger than the major diameter of the Old Model?
Can the shank be rethreaded fo the smaller frame opening?

Bucks Owin

Hunter
While we're at it, (and this probably won't fly), but if I replaced the 5.5" barrel on a NM SS6 with a 9.5 incher, could the 5.5" barrel be fitted to go on a NM Super BC?

Don't mean to steal the thread, just curious.. :oops:

Aggie01

Blackhawk
The bearcat is a different creature entirely, and your 5.5" barrel basically becomes a barrel blank. different OD and thread sizes, but I think everything on the single six is bigger. your problems would be:
that the bearcat is a 22 lr and your NM SS barrel is a 22 magnum barrel.
trying to line up the existing ERH hole at 4.63 from the frame and the bearcat's 4" ERH woud be a problem.
you need a tiny front sight for the fixed sight bearcat.

For a cheap blank of good quality that is .22 lr material, the world is full of take off 10/22 barrels. shouldn't be any more work and (probably less) using one of those than a take off single six barrel to rebarrel a bearcat. One 10/22 barrel shoud give you enough material to make both your projects. Maybe you could even work it out to keep the banded front sight on the long barreled one.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Aggie01 said:
The bearcat is a different creature entirely, and your 5.5" barrel basically becomes a barrel blank. different OD and thread sizes, but I think everything on the single six is bigger. your problems would be:
that the bearcat is a 22 lr and your NM SS barrel is a 22 magnum barrel.
trying to line up the existing ERH hole at 4.63 from the frame and the bearcat's 4" ERH woud be a problem.
you need a tiny front sight for the fixed sight bearcat.

For a cheap blank of good quality that is .22 lr material, the world is full of take off 10/22 barrels. shouldn't be any more work and (probably less) using one of those than a take off single six barrel to rebarrel a bearcat. One 10/22 barrel shoud give you enough material to make both your projects. Maybe you could even work it out to keep the banded front sight on the long barreled one.

Thanks, and guess what? I just happen to have a barrel from my old 10/22... :wink: (Maybe I'll make a pair of "buntlines".. :lol: )

Latest posts